Do winch plates replace plastic "Jeep" frame cover? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Do winch plates replace plastic "Jeep" frame cover?

Great prices on seating!--Oconee Off-RoadTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGTJ, YJ & LJ Drop Down Tail Gate Conversion Kit

Unread 02-05-2010, 05:44 AM   #1
ZeroGravity
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Do winch plates replace plastic "Jeep" frame cover?

As the title says.

I removed the plastic cover that covers the front of the frame where a winch would mount. I plan on making myself a bumper in the future but I feel as though the duct tape clips holding my brake line cover is a little exposed.

I would put it back on but it's all mangled and there's only 1 bolt hole that hasn't been torn up on the plastic cover.

Also how thick are most winch mounting plates? When I build my bumper it's going to have a winch mounting plate integrated so maybe I could incorporate the mounting plate into my bumper. I was planning on using 1/4" plate for the top part.

The U.S. Army vaguely envisioned something bigger than a motorcycle, smaller than a truck, and undaunted by the most difficult terrain.
ZeroGravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2010, 05:58 AM   #2
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Most of the aftermarket ones are 3/16". I have seen some 1/4".

Yes they typically cover that area.

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2010, 06:01 AM   #3
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

You can see in this write up that even the harbor freight version covers the frame area:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/w...e-long-522011/

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2010, 11:29 AM   #4
SimonTuffGuy
[I'm That Good]

My AtoZ mount covers it. It lifts it up a bit too, which I like:

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.