Do "simple" repairs still make you happy? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Do "simple" repairs still make you happy?

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 08-23-2013, 06:12 AM   #1
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Do "simple" repairs still make you happy?

I would call this a tech thread because it's all about what we've learned through this website, Haynes/Chiltons, FSM's and friends.

I'm wondering, do "simple" repairs still make you happy?

Last night I swapped out the power steering pump, got the v-belt properly adjusted and belched the system. Works SO much better now. 3 years ago I would have been at my buddy's house watching him do this project. Last weekend, when the pump took a final puke, my attitude was, "OK, who's got the best unit for the cheapest price?" and off we went to go grab a new pump and reservoir. Still made me smile when everything went as scheduled and I didn't have any "extra" parts when I was done.

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Rproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2013, 06:23 AM   #2
grandboost98
1989 YJ Wrangler 

100%

I was the same way, if I ever ran into a problem I would go to my friends garage and we would figure it out with the help of his dad. The first time I had to do a hub assembly and ujoint on the D30 it took a weekend because we couldnt get the hub assembly separated. Just last Thursday I was driving my GFs cherokee and the hub assembly blew out at 7pm. I said screw it, took everything apart, rode the bike to the store, buttoned it up and cleaned shop by 9pm. Im very proud of the knowledge Ive gained by owning a Jeep(thanks to JeepForuml lol) and I have such a well equipped garage now that people come to me for help and tools
98 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - too many mods to list::SOLD::
grandboost98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2013, 07:26 AM   #3
mudsweatNgearz
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Any repair that is successful makes me happy!!
Unread 08-23-2013, 07:40 AM   #4
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Any safety or reliability issue that's resolved is far better than any cosmetic one.
Unread 08-23-2013, 08:03 AM   #5
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

My favorite recent "simple" repair was to make a pair of shift decals that mimic the old military style. One for the shifter, and one for the t-case lever. Makes me smile every time I look at them.
Unread 08-23-2013, 08:27 AM   #6
tom_sprecher
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I can't wait to finish my build so I get to "simple" repairs my son and I can do in an afternoon.
Unread 08-23-2013, 08:34 AM   #7
jokerchief462
Wild Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

There are simple repairs on a YJ!!!! Why didn't someone tell me last year.

Seems every time I start with something simple it take a week and $$$.

AF Jeep Club Tail #184
jokerchief462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2013, 08:40 AM   #8
gtg413i
2003 WJ 

Oh yes. Even better is a complicated problem that turns out to be a simple repair. I was on the phone with AAA to get a tow and found the ecu wire unplugged (Po had it jammed in a fuse for power). Saved a tow. About 3 months ago I bought a harbor freight wireless winch controller for the warn. I was fretting the install because I tried a $20 eBay one that requires splicing wires. It ended up plugging directly in and working perfectly! I would be cool to see a thread of simple fixes. Now if I can only drop in a cs144 alternator with the $15 si to ci adapter to fix my charging system, I'll consider that another simple fix.
Unread 08-23-2013, 09:08 AM   #9
CJ5_Fan
1980 CJ5 

Gotta luv it when a simple DIY repair works.... I just completed some work on my 4.2 i6 prompted by a poor idol condition... swapped out a pulse air solenoid and air diverter valve as 'ta-da!!' runs like a champ now! Hardest part was tracking down the issue but after a couple hours of sweat and cursing, the feeling of having it finally run right can't be beat, and to do it yourself makes it even sweeter.....

Click HERE to check out my CJ5 restoration project page
CJ5_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2013, 09:37 AM   #10
ForestJeep89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Simple repairs ?
Yeah they are very nice,especially when you consider paying a mechanic 60 bucks an hour to change a taillight bulb er sumthin.
ForestJeep89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2013, 09:51 AM   #11
ReDinTX
1990 YJ Wrangler 

theyre my fav cause theyre usually CHEAP and i like that.......like a LOT!
'90 Yj 4.2L 5spd
ReDinTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2013, 10:20 AM   #12
glturner39
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I'm now 42 yrs old, but when I was a kid I loved helping my Dad do repairs. He was a mechanic and could fix anything. He's now gone and I miss having him around to help me out, but I realize that I learned a lot from him and now am passing it on to my sons (ages 12 and 16). They helped me change the starter on our 1993 YJ last Saturday, and I'm confident that the next time they can do it by themselves. So yep making simple repairs with my sons and seeing the results brings me a lot of satisfaction.
glturner39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2013, 06:38 PM   #13
rubisean
1990 YJ Wrangler 

favorite simple repair for me was to disassemble the wiper delay box, repair it and have delay wipers in ten minutes start to finish!
rubisean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2013, 06:44 PM   #14
zombiechief
1990 YJ Wrangler 

My horn didn't work when I got my Jeep. I ran a jumper wire from the battery and got it to sound. About 6 months later, when I had time to look at it, I pulled the steering wheel off and cleaned all the connections, pulled the bulkhead and cleaned them but all to no avail. I finally found a good schematic of the horn circuit and found the relay under the dash. $7 and a new relay from O'Reily's later and voila! Horn works. 8)
Unread 08-23-2013, 08:59 PM   #15
AKLespaul
1995 YJ Wrangler 

My spacer was rotten between the skid plate and frame. Cut it out, welded new nuts on the frame and installed galvanized pipe cut to 1 3/4" to fit verticaly in that spot. Took five hours of fooling around and repainting. I'm very happy with the simple repair.
AKLespaul is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.