Do K&N type air filters damage fuel injected engines? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Do K&N type air filters damage fuel injected engines?

Clayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 08-22-2005, 01:35 PM   #1
LandRover
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Do K&N type air filters damage fuel injected engines?

A buddy of mine had a MECHANIC tell him never to put a K&N filter in his Chevy pickup because it was fuel injected, and the oil from the filter gets sucked into the engine and gums up the injectors. I mean it makes sense I guess, but it doesn't seem like the oil is flying all over the place...it's supposed to be tacky and collect dirt.

I have a K&N in my fuel injected YJ, and after hearing this I've gone a little lighter with the oil when I clean it...

thoughts?

Sliders, Goodyear Duratrac 33's
LandRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2005, 01:38 PM   #2
zolon
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandRover
A buddy of mine had a MECHANIC tell him never to put a K&N filter in his Chevy pickup because it was fuel injected, and the oil from the filter gets sucked into the engine and gums up the injectors. I mean it makes sense I guess, but it doesn't seem like the oil is flying all over the place...it's supposed to be tacky and collect dirt.

I have a K&N in my fuel injected YJ, and after hearing this I've gone a little lighter with the oil when I clean it...

thoughts?
That is true. Very true. If you don't recharge the filter correctly.

I have used K&N for years in all my sports cars and hot rods. Only once did I have a issue, and that was because I over oiled the thing.
zolon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2005, 01:53 PM   #3
LandRover
1998 XJ Cherokee 

So, a light coat of oil on the intake side and that's it? Or do you oil both sides really light? I've never had a problem so I must be doing it right, but I'd hate to screw things up... I've been putting a moderate to light coat of oil on the intake side only, and nothing on the engine side...seems to work. Am I being an idiot?
Sliders, Goodyear Duratrac 33's
LandRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2005, 02:02 PM   #4
zolon
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandRover
So, a light coat of oil on the intake side and that's it? Or do you oil both sides really light? I've never had a problem so I must be doing it right, but I'd hate to screw things up... I've been putting a moderate to light coat of oil on the intake side only, and nothing on the engine side...seems to work. Am I being an idiot?
Light coat on the intake side is what I do. That way if I do over oil a bit, it gets pulled into the other side, but not THROUGH it.
Unread 08-22-2005, 02:24 PM   #5
bretm

I haven't had a problem, but from what I understand the problem is with MAF sensors. The oil gets on the wire element and causes incorrect voltages to be sent back. With air flowing by, the wire doesn't get hot enough to burn off the oil. But, if you shut the engine off and put the ignition back on for a few minutes they usually have a self cleaning feature which heats the element up and burns off the oil, dirt, etc.

I'm not sure that new jeeps even have MAF sensors, my Chiltons only goes up to the 95s when they still had MAP sensors IIRC.

edit^^^ I have an 88 with a weber, just setup my profile, so no first hand jeep knowledge, I know my sports car with a MAP sensor hasn't had any issues though.
bretm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2005, 02:32 PM   #6
zolon
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bretm
I haven't had a problem, but from what I understand the problem is with MAF sensors. The oil gets on the wire element and causes incorrect voltages to be sent back. With air flowing by, the wire doesn't get hot enough to burn off the oil. But, if you shut the engine off and put the ignition back on for a few minutes they usually have a self cleaning feature which heats the element up and burns off the oil, dirt, etc.

I'm not sure that new jeeps even have MAF sensors, my Chiltons only goes up to the 95s when they still had MAP sensors IIRC.
That is correct.

But again, only happens if you over oil the filter.

As far as the cleaning feature. No clue. Only had my jeep for about 3 weeks now.
Unread 08-22-2005, 02:35 PM   #7
94Wrangler4.0

For cleaning the MAF sensor just use some brake cleaner/carb cleaner. Hold the can back a ways so that you don't get a real hard spray on the sensor(fragile(must be italian)).
Unread 08-22-2005, 02:37 PM   #8
bretm

Quote:
Originally Posted by zolon
That is correct.

But again, only happens if you over oil the filter.

As far as the cleaning feature. No clue. Only had my jeep for about 3 weeks now.
True true.

I think you have a MAP (manifold air pressure) sensor, so no self cleaning, no issues either though. It's easy to tell if you have a MAF (mass air flow) sensor, just pop the hood and look at the intake tract, there'll be a sensor body plumbed inbetween the filter and the throttle.
Unread 08-22-2005, 02:42 PM   #9
ExplorerDMB

To clean the MAFS I would use a electrical cleaner and not carb cleaner. That stuff can eat.

-Drew
Unread 08-22-2005, 03:31 PM   #10
Wif
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExplorerDMB
To clean the MAFS I would use a electrical cleaner and not carb cleaner. That stuff can eat.

-Drew
so true .. some of that brake cleaner will melt plastic
[I]Who's[/I] in front ?

Ridin' topless again .. sweet !!
Wif is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2005, 08:49 PM   #11
JJorda
Jeep. Jeep? Jeep! Jeep.

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94Wrangler4.0
For cleaning the MAF sensor just use some brake cleaner/carb cleaner. Hold the can back a ways so that you don't get a real hard spray on the sensor(fragile(must be italian)).
I think there's even a spray cleaner specifically for the MAF sensors. Other types are too caustic or can leave funky residues, both of which are bad for MAF's.
1989 Jeep Wrangler - Daily Driver and project - Red Jeep Club #216, NRA Jeep Club #5
1967 Chevelle SS396 - Main Project <--454, TH400, 4.10's, FAST
1982 Caprice Classic - Another project <-- 350/700R4, 4 wheel discs
1979 Honda Civic CVCC - Yet another project <--goal of 60 mpg
JJorda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2005, 09:35 PM   #12
jipjip

well first off, you dont have to worry about MAF on jeeps. YJ's use MAP sensors which or out of the way of any oil that will come off the filter...
as for cleaning MAF sensors. it is a very bad idea to clean w/ brake cleaner,or electrical cleaner e.t.c... the chemicals in the cleaners will react w/ the chemicals on the end of the sensor and cause serious problems. there are MAF safe throttle body cleaners that you can use if you really need to clean off the sensor, but usually, if the sensor starts to read wrong and you have driveability problems from it, its too far gone for any cleaner to help. but like i said, us YJ folks dont have to worry,MAF is not an issue.
Oh, and as far as k&N filters go, they are amazing products and along w/ the fact that they flow more air, they also filter the air better and lask longer w/o cleaning, i dont even clean my K&N. when it gets really dirty, i just buy a new one, and it still costs less than changing a paper filter every 10-15k or so.
jipjip is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2005, 08:26 AM   #13
zolon
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jipjip
well first off, you dont have to worry about MAF on jeeps. YJ's use MAP sensors which or out of the way of any oil that will come off the filter...
as for cleaning MAF sensors. it is a very bad idea to clean w/ brake cleaner,or electrical cleaner e.t.c... the chemicals in the cleaners will react w/ the chemicals on the end of the sensor and cause serious problems. there are MAF safe throttle body cleaners that you can use if you really need to clean off the sensor, but usually, if the sensor starts to read wrong and you have driveability problems from it, its too far gone for any cleaner to help. but like i said, us YJ folks dont have to worry,MAF is not an issue.
Oh, and as far as k&N filters go, they are amazing products and along w/ the fact that they flow more air, they also filter the air better and lask longer w/o cleaning, i dont even clean my K&N. when it gets really dirty, i just buy a new one, and it still costs less than changing a paper filter every 10-15k or so.
Umm.. They actually don't filter better, otherwise they wouldn't flow air better. I remember reading the whole Air Filter Testing thing.. There is a link around here some where.

But if you think about it, it makes sense. The more air that can pass through, the more particles that can pass by. It's simple physics.
Unread 08-23-2005, 08:57 AM   #14
JJorda
Jeep. Jeep? Jeep! Jeep.

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Umm.. They actually don't filter better, otherwise they wouldn't flow air better. I remember reading the whole Air Filter Testing thing.. There is a link around here some where.

But if you think about it, it makes sense. The more air that can pass through, the more particles that can pass by. It's simple physics.
Not necessarily, air flow depends on the density of the material, surface area, etc. If the K&N filters have a higher surface area than a stock filter (that's why there's all those pleats) then even with a more restrictive material you can have better flow. The oil on the air cleaner can help get the smaller stuff out of the air too, because dirt can stick to the filter media instead of bouncing off.

I guess if I got one of those K&N filters I wouldn't need to oil it, my engine tends to oil my air filter automatically...
1989 Jeep Wrangler - Daily Driver and project - Red Jeep Club #216, NRA Jeep Club #5
1967 Chevelle SS396 - Main Project <--454, TH400, 4.10's, FAST
1982 Caprice Classic - Another project <-- 350/700R4, 4 wheel discs
1979 Honda Civic CVCC - Yet another project <--goal of 60 mpg
JJorda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2005, 09:06 AM   #15
Wif
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

But also, not all particles are harmful .. it's all about efficiency .. more air in, better performance, maybe better gas mileage. So unless you live in overly dusty conditions, and change paper filters weekly, I'd go with the K&N.

I could see a trail rig not needing/using them .. but highway ones ..
[I]Who's[/I] in front ?

Ridin' topless again .. sweet !!
Wif is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.