Do I Need a SYE? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Do I Need a SYE?

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail Lights

Unread 02-14-2013, 05:43 PM   #16
Destr0
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I too am running no issues with no TC drop or SYE at 3.75" of lift (3" springs and 3/4" lift boomerangs). I do have Brown Dog 1" MML and I set the pinion angle for my driveshaft when I put in my 8.8.

:-)

You do not need that much lift to run 33" tires- go with some boomerang shackles and raise that skid back up!

Destr0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-22-2013, 09:51 AM   #17
tom_sprecher
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Since I love to fabricate I made up some shackles from 3/8 x 2 bar stock and some 1" DOM. They are designed to provide only 1/2" of lift, so my total will be 4" instead of the actual 5.25" the PO had in it.

I'll take out the TC drop and run the Brown Dog 1" MML. Then I'll weld the 8.8 perches so the TC shaft and pinion are parallel.

With going to 33's from the 28's I should have more clearance than I'll ever use. If not the SYE, DS and replacing perches are a project for another day.

Thanks for all your experiences and input.
Unread 02-24-2013, 11:52 AM   #18
Slim93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I'm running a Tom Woods SYE kit and just feel more confident when beating on my rig.
For those who upgraded to a SYE kit what did you do with the old shaft?
Is there any reason to keep it,I don't see any use for it anymore but it's hard for me to throw away any jeep parts.
Slim93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2013, 12:54 PM   #19
Mameluke
1993 YJ Wrangler 

SYE is my next major mod on my jeep, and like many others, i sort of learn as i go along (most of it from this website). i've got a few questions, and this seems like a good thread to piggyback on instead of starting a new one.

i've got a 3.5" BDS with a 2" BL, and with the vibrations and shimmying i get, it's pretty clear that this is the next mod i need to do. however, i've also still got stock axles with 3.07 gears, so i'm going to need to do an axle swap too.

what order should these mods be done in? SYE/CV first, then axles?
Mameluke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2013, 03:52 PM   #20
booboowv77
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mameluke View Post
SYE is my next major mod on my jeep, and like many others, i sort of learn as i go along (most of it from this website). i've got a few questions, and this seems like a good thread to piggyback on instead of starting a new one.

i've got a 3.5" BDS with a 2" BL, and with the vibrations and shimmying i get, it's pretty clear that this is the next mod i need to do. however, i've also still got stock axles with 3.07 gears, so i'm going to need to do an axle swap too.

what order should these mods be done in? SYE/CV first, then axles?
Stock up all parts and do it at the same time.
Built not Bought #759
booboowv77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2013, 03:54 PM   #21
Mameluke
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the reply. Why is doing it all at once better than doing one or the other first?
Mameluke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2013, 04:43 PM   #22
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mameluke
Thanks for the reply. Why is doing it all at once better than doing one or the other first?
Because switching to a ford 8.8 or other axle will require you to set the pinion angle. If you install the sye and axle at the same time you can call an order the driveshaft with the correct measurement.
Unread 02-24-2013, 06:04 PM   #23
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelgoesrawr View Post

Because switching to a ford 8.8 or other axle will require you to set the pinion angle. If you install the sye and axle at the same time you can call an order the driveshaft with the correct measurement.
I did my SYE first and wheeled it with the Dana 35 for over a year then swapped in the 8.8 and didn't need to change driveshafts.
Unread 02-25-2013, 05:25 AM   #24
bogleparsons
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyj View Post
I did my SYE first and wheeled it with the Dana 35 for over a year then swapped in the 8.8 and didn't need to change driveshafts.
That's good you lucked out.

But that is probably the exception not the rule.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.