Do I Need a SYE? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Do I Need a SYE?

Engo LED Flush Mount Lights *PAIR* Flood or Spot 1,600 LumYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 02-13-2013, 10:05 AM   #1
tom_sprecher
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Do I Need a SYE?

I'm in the middle of an 8.8 swap and have read some about SYE, CV joints and just running two U-joints. I have 3.5" of spring lift, 2" of shackle lift (both installed by PO), SUA and want to run 33's.

Do both ends of the transfer case get SYE?

Can you guys give me some advice as to why and what I should run? I plan on doing light to medium wheelin' and doubt I'll ever do rock crawling.

Thanks for your advice in advance.

Unread 02-13-2013, 10:21 AM   #2
bogleparsons
2013 JK Wrangler 

Only the rear of TC gets the SYE, yes with a total of 5.5" of lift your a good candidate for SYE.

It would be best since you havn't installed your 8.8 to hold off on the spring perch placement until after you have the SYE & DS in.
Unread 02-13-2013, 10:58 AM   #3
tom_sprecher
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I was thinking about getting rid of the 2" of shackle lift. Would that lessen the need for a SYE?
Unread 02-13-2013, 12:23 PM   #4
bogleparsons
2013 JK Wrangler 

Yes with just the 3.5" spring lift you could probably get away with just a TC drop. You have any pics of the way it sits now?

You probably already have the TC drop I bet.
Unread 02-13-2013, 12:29 PM   #5
dillonjm
30mm @ 70/sec

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Can you get away with a drop, probably.

Does it make sense to lose over an inch of clearance at the skid that you just spent a bunch of money to gain? Not in my opinion.

My 2 cents, especially since you're setting up an 8.8, I'd do the SYE and weld the perches where they should be the first time.

11 Ram 2500 - 6.7 Cummins (DD/Tow Rig)

05 Liberty Limited (Wife's): Minor mods, OME/JBA Suspension, 245 70/17 Duratracs
dillonjm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2013, 12:49 PM   #6
tom_sprecher
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogleparsons View Post
Yes with just the 3.5" spring lift you could probably get away with just a TC drop. You have any pics of the way it sits now?

You probably already have the TC drop I bet.
I do have the TC drop. Actually the PO added even more spacers that a normal kit so the TC is now down about 2.25".

So let me get this straight. You add a SYE if you have a lot of lift (>3.5") and do not want to drop the TC. Is that right?

Unread 02-13-2013, 12:55 PM   #7
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Exactly right. The SYE is to allow you to lift the Jeep while allowing you to keep all the clearance you can. There was a guy running around here that was telling people to run both. One, the other, but both is stupid. I'd go with the SYE and lose that tcase drop. I bet its reeking havoc on your motor mounts. I would also sell the 2" shackles to some schmuck and get 1" boomerang shackles instead.
Unread 02-13-2013, 03:04 PM   #8
tom_sprecher
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelgoesrawr View Post
Exactly right. The SYE is to allow you to lift the Jeep while allowing you to keep all the clearance you can. There was a guy running around here that was telling people to run both. One, the other, but both is stupid. I'd go with the SYE and lose that tcase drop. I bet its reeking havoc on your motor mounts. I would also sell the 2" shackles to some schmuck and get 1" boomerang shackles instead.
The motor mounts are seriously twisted.

Do I have to get a new drive shaft with the SYE?
Unread 02-13-2013, 03:27 PM   #9
MLJeeper
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_sprecher View Post
Do I have to get a new drive shaft with the SYE?
yes, the new driveshaft will have a double cardan joint on the front side which can operate at the steeper angle.

The TC drop is meant to be a temporary measure but it is not a safety issue to run one long term and therefore a lot of people do. Pro: They work.

Regardless, the whole reason for lifting a vehicle, unless its a mall crawler, is for clearance and part of that clearance comes under the trans skid. Thats the Con. You would be amazed how far a couple inches will gain you here. The limit to trying to get away without using a sye is ~4". I have a 3.5" lift and 5/8" lift booms and do not run one. I also have NO tc drop. I got away with it by using a motor mount lift and setting the pinion angle appropriately when I installed the axle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
Any video of the sound?
MLJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2013, 03:35 PM   #10
tom_sprecher
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Wow! The SYE and CV drive shaft will run $500-$600. It's getting pricey and I need to think if it will be worth it to gain 2" at the skid plate.

Who do you guys think has the best value for the pair?
Unread 02-13-2013, 03:42 PM   #11
tom_sprecher
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLJeeper View Post
I have a 3.5" lift and 5/8" lift booms and do not run one. I also have NO tc drop. I got away with it by using a motor mount lift and setting the pinion angle appropriately when I installed the axle.
Do you have any details on the motor mount lift and the booms? Inquiring minds want to know.
Unread 02-13-2013, 05:29 PM   #12
dillonjm
30mm @ 70/sec

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Wow! The SYE and CV drive shaft will run $500-$600. It's getting pricey and I need to think if it will be worth it to gain 2" at the skid plate.

Who do you guys think has the best value for the pair?
Its cheaper than 2" lift springs or 4" taller tires are, and for the same amount of clearance gain.

Check out JB for your SYE (about 200 bucks) and if you're on a tight budget get an XJ front shaft and shorten it at a driveline shop (about 150 total for shaft and shortening) or order a shaft from tom woods (about 3-350).

Translation: yes its worth it.

11 Ram 2500 - 6.7 Cummins (DD/Tow Rig)

05 Liberty Limited (Wife's): Minor mods, OME/JBA Suspension, 245 70/17 Duratracs
dillonjm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2013, 06:49 AM   #13
MLJeeper
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Do you have any details on the motor mount lift and the booms? Inquiring minds want to know.
Well, specifically I run M.O.R.E. 1" lift bomb proof motor mounts and 5/8" lift M.O.R.E. boomerang shackles on all 4 corners. But brand really makes no difference. Also if you do something custom which is easy and feasible you could go a little higher on the motor mount lift (MML) to give you more angle to work with. I wouldnt go to crazy with it though. Also, any more than an inch of MML lift is likely going to require a body lift of some sort for clearance. Its recommended for the 1" MML but a lot of people get by without it. It wont work for everyone but i was pleased it worked in this case. Test drive your angle before you weld.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
Any video of the sound?
MLJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2013, 02:43 PM   #14
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillonjm View Post

Its cheaper than 2" lift springs or 4" taller tires are, and for the same amount of clearance gain.

Check out JB for your SYE (about 200 bucks) and if you're on a tight budget get an XJ front shaft and shorten it at a driveline shop (about 150 total for shaft and shortening) or order a shaft from tom woods (about 3-350).

Translation: yes its worth it.
X2 he speaks the truff. I spent 160$ on my sye and used a XJ front CV shaft $35 at most junk yards shortened and balanced for around 90$.
Unread 02-14-2013, 03:42 PM   #15
Overhead
You built a 4cyl?

1995 YJ Wrangler 

including MML shafts and a new skid plate I'm at about a grand for my full tuck. but you don't need to add a taller skid plate. so that eliminates a few hundred bucks
Overhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.