Do i need a new trackbar? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Do i need a new trackbar?

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Building a Bumper?Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-28-2002, 02:08 PM   #1
Cshaffer

Do i need a new trackbar?

Ok, ive searched a bunch of the old threads trying to find an answer, but i didnt have the kind of luck i wanted...so here goes:

Im putting on some shackles on my '92 YJ, its pretty much stock, and i bought the shackles to get some more clearance underneath. Now my question is: Do i need to get an adjustable trackbar, or will the stock one work with only and inch and a half of lift? I cant take it off, because other people tend to drive my jeep quite frequently and i wouldnt trust them without all the safety stuff...

Sorry if its been asked before, but im kinda new.

thanks.

Unread 07-28-2002, 03:03 PM   #2
crownlvr

You should be OK

Based upon my experience, you should be OK. When I bought my YJ, it had a 3" body lift (soon to go...) and a 1.5" shackle lift.. The stock track bar is still on the Jeep and hasn't presented any problems....

That's just my experience, though...

Matt
1989 258ci--100K miles on original Peugeot (maintained by daily prayers)--33" all-terrains w/ 3" body lift (hey...that's how I bought it)--next upgrade...suspension lift...NO CHROME ON THIS JEEP (that's for you Lance!)
crownlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2002, 04:05 PM   #3
strangler95

i just got done working at camp jeep and i was talking to the engineers who designed the rubicon and i told him i have a 95 with a 4 inch lift, and i asked him about the rear track bar and he sad that you dont need it...so i took mine off today an it drives about the same
strangler95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2002, 04:29 PM   #4
RCHavok797
2005 LJ Wrangler 

If the engineers that designed the Jeep say you don't need it then I think I might do away with mine too. I think the front one is more important though.
RCHavok797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2002, 10:12 PM   #5
KYgreenYJ
2012 JK Wrangler 

ok this has actually been discussed quite a bit, and the consensus is that the rear track bar does absolutely nothing, besides dent ur tailpipe, and add a few bucks to the price of your lift kit for the extensions. I dunno about the front one but the rear one does nothing and you should take it off and use it to bang on stuff with like your sway bars that won;t come the $#*&- off.

Old Jeep, SOLD:
94 Green YJ SE 4.0L 5spd
3.5" BDS lift, 1"MML/BL, Revolvers, SYE/CV, no track bars or sway bars, MORE sport cage
Green Jeep Club Member #20
KYgreenYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2002, 10:20 PM   #6
St.LJustin

Quote:
Originally posted by KYgreenYJ
you should take it off and use it to bang on stuff with like your sway bars that won;t come the $#*&- off.
Well put.

You may want to hang onto it though. Just in case you want to sell it and the buyer is knowledgable to notice a missing part of safety equipment. Whether or not the track bar really does what it is supposed to is up to you.

Member #5 of the Black Jeep Club
St.LJustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2002, 10:27 PM   #7
NaeKid
JF Administrator, eh?

1988 YJ Wrangler 

My Jeep being slightly modified has no front or rear trackbars anymore, and no sway bars, and the ride feels very safe and true at highway speeds, and feels stable on the corners as well.

If others borrow your Jeep on a regular basis, make sure that you put a "notice" with your keyring, or on the dash that states "This vehicle has been modified from the original design to allow for more flex and body roll. This vehicle will not respond like a car, and if driven like one may roll-over and play dead like a little puppy dog, only it won't be able to get back onto its feet without help." .. or something like that
  • Silver 2006 TJ Unlimited, zombie ready as the daily-driver
  • a Kawasaki KLR650 DualSport bike

- - - - - - -TEOTWAWKI- - - - - - -

NaeKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2002, 03:37 PM   #8
Bob K

I found the rear trac bar to be dispensible. I found that with a 2.5" lift my steering response was not what I wanted it to be with the front trac bar removed. If you lifted more than an inch you should modify the trac bar to compensate for the lift to keep the steering geometry correct.
31" BFG A/T's
K&N Filter
Custom Rock Guards
Turbo Muffler
Rear Track Bar in the shed
Other Tricks I won't tell to just anybody!

'99 Grand Cherokee 4.7 V8
Towing Package
K&N FIPK
ProComp MX6 shocks
Borla Exhaust
Tow Hooks
Alpine CD with Infinity+iPod connect
Just getting started!

If you're not living on the edge...
you're taking up too much space.
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2002, 06:45 PM   #9
strangler95

I got to thinking...if you do remove the track bar will it wear out the leaf springs faster from all the lateral movement. Just a thought
Unread 07-29-2002, 07:15 PM   #10
Bob K

The lateral movement is not the springs sliding against each other. It is the springs flexing sideways.
31" BFG A/T's
K&N Filter
Custom Rock Guards
Turbo Muffler
Rear Track Bar in the shed
Other Tricks I won't tell to just anybody!

'99 Grand Cherokee 4.7 V8
Towing Package
K&N FIPK
ProComp MX6 shocks
Borla Exhaust
Tow Hooks
Alpine CD with Infinity+iPod connect
Just getting started!

If you're not living on the edge...
you're taking up too much space.
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2002, 07:49 PM   #11
strangler95

yes i know...but since the springs werent really designed to flex that way, does it hurt them?
Unread 07-29-2002, 09:14 PM   #12
NaeKid
JF Administrator, eh?

1988 YJ Wrangler 

The rear of most full-size older Chevy's run with no track-bar attached, and they don't seem to have a problem. My S-10 does not have a track-bar on the rear end .. and still no problems. As far as I understand it, the trackbar has virtually no function. Many owners of the Cherokees also remove their rear swaybar with no ill-effects.

So go ahead .. remove the rear trackbar and enjoy the ride! If the springs decide that they don't want to be attached anymore, a nice lift kit is always available
  • Silver 2006 TJ Unlimited, zombie ready as the daily-driver
  • a Kawasaki KLR650 DualSport bike

- - - - - - -TEOTWAWKI- - - - - - -

NaeKid is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.