Do I need new Skid Plates - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Do I need new Skid Plates

Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-Gear

Unread 12-21-2009, 11:40 PM   #1
plumber1
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Do I need new Skid Plates

Thinking about installing a new gas tank skid or front diff skid. How many of you have seen damage to either of these so bad to the point it stopped the jeep. I have some dings in my gas tank skid and scrapes on my diff covers but no real damage. Is it worth replacing or not, or is it just a matter of time before I smack the hell out of one or both of them, and then ponder this question.

White Jeep Club #224
plumber1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-22-2009, 12:13 AM   #2
Goobersbro

I plan on replacing mine eventually. Its rare that I smash my gas tank hard but I have a couple times and I have some really good dents in it. I really would just like the peace of mind of a heavy duty skid since I only like to play in rocks and snow. I think the reason most people put a new t case/ tranny skid in is so that you don't hang up on crap and an engine skid is pretty obvious as to why to put one in.
Unread 12-22-2009, 12:18 AM   #3
Lambo3244
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumber1 View Post
Thinking about installing a new gas tank skid or front diff skid. How many of you have seen damage to either of these so bad to the point it stopped the jeep. I have some dings in my gas tank skid and scrapes on my diff covers but no real damage. Is it worth replacing or not, or is it just a matter of time before I smack the hell out of one or both of them, and then ponder this question.
I had a little accident when I was putting on my lift. The back end of the Jeep slid off the jack and landed on gas tank from a foot off the ground. The tank, miraculously was perfectly fine. I think it is totally up to you. Having your running gear protected is a comforting thought. But, you can prevent those run-into-something accidents by just driving cautiously.

I would say if you have nothing else that you really need on your Jeep, body and running gear protection is never a bad choice. (:
Lambo3244 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-22-2009, 01:26 AM   #4
Goobersbro

yea I also think it depends on what kind of wheeling you do. Like for me at some point it will be a must because of playing in rocks and sometimes its just plain un preventable. I have had rocks move out from underneath me and had tires slip off rocks and BAM down on that skid I go first couple times it scared the crap out of me. I was like what the heck was that
Unread 12-22-2009, 10:23 AM   #5
plumber1
2005 TJ Wrangler 

any other thoughts

White Jeep Club #224
Unread 12-22-2009, 10:42 AM   #6
sebastian22
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Ive never seen a situation where it stopped a Jeep, but I have been in situations where it MAY have stopped me, had I not upgraded. I've miscalculated my approach a couple of times and smashed my diff cover right into rocks, but my diff cover has won so far. Dont know if the factory one would have done the same.
Unread 12-22-2009, 10:54 AM   #7
plumber1
2005 TJ Wrangler 

That's good to know. It seams whenever going over rocks I sometimes wait to hear the scraping or worse yet the jeep come to a hard stop. I think I would like to know if that (when) happens I have something to bite back at the rocks.

White Jeep Club #224
Unread 12-22-2009, 11:01 AM   #8
chadroc
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I have a rugged ridge front diff cover that I really like. It's well built, has drain holes, and was pretty inexpensive. Do NOT buy one from Rough Country. It covers the oil fill hole in the diff. You have to either cut a piece out of it, or remove the whole cover the check or fill the fluid.
I think a gas tank skid is a good idea. I have an extra factory skid that I'm modifying and welding on over the factory skid already on my jeep. Just the flat bottom part and about 3" up the front and back. I think it will work well
chadroc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-22-2009, 11:08 AM   #9
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

The D30 stock diff cover is pretty stout, lucky so far there. My main concern is the oil pan, trans pan (auto) and the exposed part of the exhust pipe. So far the oil pan is the only part to avoid damage and it's just a matter of time until something is bashed seriously. I always carry extra fluids and some mighty putty and jb weld in case I need to fix a hole.

There was a thread a few months ago about a kid just learning how to weld that added some outer ribs to his D30 cover. Good idea and I'll do that one day too.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-22-2009, 04:06 PM   #10
iowajeepers
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Personally, the first additional skid I would install is the oil pan skid.

Dent the oil pan all to hell, pushing it up, is bad news.

1994 YJ, 2000 TJ, 2000 XJ, 2004 WJ, 1976 Stingray
iowajeepers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-22-2009, 05:30 PM   #11
jeepguy85
Bringing down the BFH
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I have torn the exhaust off every Jeep I have EVER owned. Underside protection is a good idea!!!
jeepguy85 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-22-2009, 06:15 PM   #12
plumber1
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I have never torn off my exhaust, and I am surprised that my air tank under my YJ has never been hit. But I know for sure my T/C skid has been hit many times, and my rear bumper have taken the most abuse in the rocks. Just looking to blow some money on x-mas presents from the wife.

White Jeep Club #224
Unread 12-22-2009, 06:50 PM   #13
chadroc
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumber1 View Post
I have never torn off my exhaust, and I am surprised that my air tank under my YJ has never been hit. But I know for sure my T/C skid has been hit many times, and my rear bumper have taken the most abuse in the rocks. Just looking to blow some money on x-mas presents from the wife.
It's pretty awesome that your wife buys you jeep parts for Xmas!
chadroc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.