Do i have to pull the push rods for head gasket. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Do i have to pull the push rods for head gasket.

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 04-30-2013, 06:42 AM   #1
mtidwell
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Do i have to pull the push rods for head gasket.

Hey guys i have a question.
I am doing a head gasket.
A buddy says with the 2 of us doing it we can pull the head without removing the manifolds. I agree,,, he saus to leave rocker arms and push rods in place too?
What do yall think?

Unread 04-30-2013, 06:54 AM   #2
roadyrob
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I think your buddy is no mechanic. don't take shortcuts, do the job right or you will probably be doing it twice.

the voices aren't real but they sure have good ideas.
roadyrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2013, 07:20 AM   #3
88RedWrangler
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadyrob
I think your buddy is no mechanic. don't take shortcuts, do the job right or you will probably be doing it twice.
X2 if you don't pull them and you damage them, you'll be worse off than you are now. Get yourself some large ziplock bags and place the rods in and label them. Put em back where they came from. I prefer bags to boxes because you don't get the little cardboard pieces on them. Good luck and take your time.
88RedWrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2013, 08:56 AM   #4
hdfxrs91
1987 YJ Wrangler 

That would be a neat trick if you can make all the pushrods stand straight up as you're putting the head back on.
hdfxrs91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2013, 11:45 AM   #5
50rck
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Did I read that right, "Pull the head without removing the manifolds?" The manifolds are attached to the head, so please explain this. Never mind, take it to a different friend or a good mechanic. And yes, you need to remove the push rods. Why is that such a big deal?

2006 Jeep Liberty. Nothing special, all stock.
50rck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2013, 11:52 AM   #6
mtidwell
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Not a big deal really,, just asking
Yes ,, pull the head with the manifolds attached.
Obviously replacing the manifold gaskets would be easiser on the bench. Than with it in the engine bay.

For that matter , if just replacing only the head gasket may mot even need to do new manifold gaskets.

Just discussion?

I know most cases the head needs vked ,, but its a new rebuild ,, i believe a faulty install of the head gasket.

Thanks
Unread 04-30-2013, 04:46 PM   #7
ROWA

1994 YJ Wrangler 

If you're doing a head gasket why not replace the manifold gaskets at the same time.
I use a cardboard box, label it with an arrow pointing to the front, punch 16 small holes in it label 1-16 and when you remove the pushrods place them in the hole as you remove them from the engine.
Check the head for warping and burns on the top of the cylinder block from cylinder to cylinder.

The best Engineering is no match against natural Stupidity.
ROWA is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2013, 07:42 PM   #8
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

You can pull it with the manifolds attached, but that is one heavy head stripped, the manifolds really make it awkward . And you do need to pull the pushrods.
Unread 04-30-2013, 10:48 PM   #9
mtidwell
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the info guys ,, i am gonna do it soon ,, ill let u know.
Unread 05-02-2013, 04:50 AM   #10
mtidwell
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Ueah i pulled the push rods,no reason not to,,plus they will fall out anyway
Duno what he was thinkin
I did leave manifolds on. Much eaiser,, with Help!!!
Unread 05-02-2013, 02:42 PM   #11
88RedWrangler
1988 YJ Wrangler 

it's all a learning experience... just remember, read everything you can get your hands on and always ask questions. I've only had my jeep for a month or so but I will say, every question I had in my head, I found the answer here or on the wrangerforum. I'm no mechanic by any means but I've done my fair share of work and with the help on here, I've done WAY more than I ever thought I could. Take your time, label things, doublecheck your work and torque and you should be good to go.

Best of luck man!
88RedWrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2013, 04:22 PM   #12
mtidwell
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks,

All done went well.

I think its fixed,, well know this weekend for sure.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.