DIY tube fenders - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > DIY tube fenders

Savvy FOX IFP 4" Lift Shocks in StockSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 02-09-2011, 09:39 PM   #1
'92 vegas YJ
R.I.P. Ratmonkey

1992 YJ Wrangler 

DIY tube fenders

well i FINALLY got my fenders done so i figured i'd post it up and do a little write up.

I've wanted tube fenders for a while now seeing that everytime i go wheeling my tires are always STUFFED into my fenders and now my fenders are all cracked and out of shape. i know i should invest in some bumpstops, but what fun would that be. another reason i wanted to get some tubes was to get rid of the stupid bushwackers i put on when i was like 16 or 17.

so its decided, i should get some fenders. but what now? do i make some or buy some? well im cheap and i like to try to pretend i can fabricate. so i decided to make some. now i was in the same boat as everyone else "this would be so easy if i had a tube bender". originally i was going to order the prebent tubes from jeeptubes.com. then one day i figured i'd run to the local steel supplier and see how much it would be if i bought it myself and had it bent. well i was able to purchase all of the tube i needed for $20 and went to a local fab guy and he bent two 90 degree bends for me for $30. so i got it done locally and the same day for $30 cheaper than jeeptubes not including shipping. i spent another $20 on the flat plate for my sides.

for the tube i went with 1 1/2" .090" HREW and some 1/8" steel plate for the sides.

my big issue now was i wanted to use my stock inners, now how am i going to cut and chop up my fenders while still driving to work everyday? thats where having a 2nd jeep comes into play. i have a very nice looking '95 tub sitting in my garage that decided to lend me his fenders.

i started by chopping off all of the material i didnt need. i decided for now that im going to keep the sheetmetal top. i might switch to plate at a later date if i feel the need.

so over the next couple weekends whenever i had time i was out chopping up fenders and making the grill and tub mounts. i just used some flat plate i had laying around. i dont have any pics of this stage. forming the bend for the grill was easier than i thought. i just layed it against a brick and whacked it till it bent to where i wanted it.

after i did all that i could on my spare tub i decided that i need to make it to my '92 YJ's actual specifics. so late one fri night a friend and i started taking off my stock fenders.

this is what it looked like the next morning in the daylight.

i had a bunch of pictures from the mock up on the passenger side but somehow i lost them all when i tried to transfer them from my phone to the computer. im quit upset.

this is where my dad(came in town for the weekend) helped me mock up the driver and i tacked it in place

then i used the old tape trick to get my template to cut the plate for the side.

after i had everything mocked and tacked in place where i wanted it to be i pulled it apart and welded it.

i just tacked the top piece all the way around to the tube then ground it smooth and tacked some more

then i added a little gusset

once everything was all welded up i decided i'd try my hand at body work. BEWARE I HAVE NEVER DONE BODY WORK OR EVEN WORKED WITH BODY FILLER IN MY LIFE!!!!

i went and got some of this

and lots of this haha

using body filler really wasnt hard at all. im not gonna say im good at it but it wasnt hard. here is some of the body filler after i just applied it and waiting for it to cure

i applied it to both fenders and spent A LOT of time sanding. no joke i spent a couple good hrs trying to get everything all smooth. i eventually got tired of sanding and said screw it. they look good enought to go beat up on the trail.

'92 vegas YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2011, 09:42 PM   #2
'92 vegas YJ
R.I.P. Ratmonkey

1992 YJ Wrangler 

here they are side by side after the sanding

before paint i figured id do a last minute mock up and see if everything still fits after welding. to my surprise it all fit and there really wasnt much warping or anything

then i took them out back to my little paint booth. aka gazeebo hahaha. when its windy outside i wrap clear painters plastic around the outside of the gazeebo, throw a tarp on the ground, wear a respirator and wala i have a perfect paint booth. ive used it from everything from my quad frame to my rockers and now my fenders

after 3 coats of primer, 3 coats of white paint and a clear coat i think im ready to install

and thats how i made my tube fenders. sorry i dont have as many pictures as i wouldve liked but oh well.

at first i started by just doing a little at a time on the weekends and then the last 3 days straight ive spent all of the daylight on these bad boys.

i had to hurry up and get them finished as i leave on fri for king of the hammers.

im pretty content with them.

i took my rear bushwackers off and am debating on throwing on the tj flares i have(thanks again jeff) or just leaving it flareless with my s****y hack job i did a couple yrs ago until i get my rear corner armor.

it went from this

to this

-chris

April 2012, May 2013, May 2014 YJ of the month
Unread 02-09-2011, 09:42 PM   #3
Tenshots1
2005 TJ Wrangler 

o your just going to stop there!!! i cant wait now!
Unread 02-09-2011, 09:55 PM   #4
TheNewbie
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenshots1 View Post
o your just going to stop there!!! i cant wait now!
+1

Don't leave us hanging.

My build thread...
I've got a shotgun, a rifle and a four wheel drive...
TheNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2011, 10:02 PM   #5
carlitos_90
1995 YJ Wrangler 

acciddental but i have question what tubes did you buy? dont know anything about tubes lol so yeah
carlitos_90 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2011, 10:11 PM   #6
McFatter
1992 YJ Wrangler 

On mine I used a piece of c channel bolted to the tub to weld the bars to. I had to notch it to make it fit around the brake booster, but besides that it worded out pretty nice
McFatter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2011, 10:35 PM   #7
McFatter
1992 YJ Wrangler 

looks good! The bondo really cleaned them up nice
McFatter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2011, 10:38 PM   #8
'92 vegas YJ
R.I.P. Ratmonkey

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlitos_90 View Post
acciddental but i have question what tubes did you buy? dont know anything about tubes lol so yeah
i just bought some 1 1/2" .090 hrew and had a local fab guy bend it for me

Unread 02-09-2011, 10:40 PM   #9
'92 vegas YJ
R.I.P. Ratmonkey

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFatter View Post
looks good! The bondo really cleaned them up nice
thank you. i think the bondo made a world of a difference. makes it look real clean and smooth

Unread 02-09-2011, 11:45 PM   #10
carlitos_90
1995 YJ Wrangler 

were can i buy said tubes? are they heavier than stock fenders+fender flares or bit lighter?
carlitos_90 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2011, 06:15 AM   #11
grandboost98
1989 YJ Wrangler 

thats it, this is my next project lol i was actually at home depot the other day checking out prices for HREW
98 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - too many mods to list::SOLD::
grandboost98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2011, 10:12 AM   #12
'92 vegas YJ
R.I.P. Ratmonkey

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlitos_90 View Post
were can i buy said tubes? are they heavier than stock fenders+fender flares or bit lighter?
i bought my tubes locally. you can either find a steel supplier near you or order it online. i would not suggest going to home depot or anything. i dont think they'll have what youre looking for, even if they did home depot charges and arm and a leg for metal.

i think your best option would be to order these. http://shop.jeeptubes.com/product.sc?productId=11&categoryId=8

keep in mind this project requires A LOT of grinding and cutting and measuring and welding. then more measuring and some beer to have your friends come over and hold the tubes up while you do more measing and leveling and tack welding.

the weight i would have to say is almost the same. they might be a bit heavier but nothing extreme. they still pick up easily one handed.

-chris

Unread 02-10-2011, 10:13 AM   #13
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Nice job and I like the pics too. How close do your tires come now at full flex?
1222 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2011, 12:23 PM   #14
newheep
1992 YJ Wrangler 

looks great, I would have used a little thicker tube, more like .120 wall but thats just me.
newheep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2011, 12:45 PM   #15
'92 vegas YJ
R.I.P. Ratmonkey

1992 YJ Wrangler 

i thought about the .120 wall. thats actually what i went to go get originally but then i got to talking to the guy at the steel place and he made some good points that had already been in the back of my head. i want it to be strong but not strong enough that if i hit them hard all the pressure goes straight to my tub. hopefully with a little thinner wall tubing if i hit it hard enough the fenders will absorb the impact and dent or deform before my tub....

i could be wrong but id rather replace some tube on my fenders then my entire tub.

-chris

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.