DIY snorkel ???? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > DIY snorkel ????

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 02-08-2013, 08:50 PM   #16
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

You sound like you're already convinced you want to do this, although you never mentioned that you actually need one to ford deep water. I hope you know you will be paying for this in gas long after you finish building it. Sucking air through 6' of tube isn't easy.

Unread 02-08-2013, 10:33 PM   #17
meangreeny
1992 YJ Wrangler 

meangreeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2013, 09:22 AM   #18
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeperDon View Post
You sound like you're already convinced you want to do this, although you never mentioned that you actually need one to ford deep water. I hope you know you will be paying for this in gas long after you finish building it. Sucking air through 6' of tube isn't easy.

I would say more like a additional 12'

Plus every 90 degree turn cuts down air flow very considerable. If memory serves me by half, so in this application it is like sucking through a 36' or much longer straw.

Here is a idea. Install a T at the front of the piping for daily driving. Cap the T when going off road. Off road you do not need the air flow off road as much due to the lower rpm's.
pasinbuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2013, 05:40 PM   #19
Benzfrd
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasinbuy View Post
I would say more like a additional 12'

Plus every 90 degree turn cuts down air flow very considerable. If memory serves me by half, so in this application it is like sucking through a 36' or much longer straw.

Here is a idea. Install a T at the front of the piping for daily driving. Cap the T when going off road. Off road you do not need the air flow off road as much due to the lower rpm's.
Sorry for the dealy in my response back to you guys.

So I have thought of just having a T in the mix and I agree I think it will work just fine. I never plan on taking into deep water ( yet ) But just wanted it to be functional if its there atleast.

Thank you for the feedback
Benzfrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2013, 05:43 PM   #20
Benzfrd
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by meangreeny View Post
Yeah that is exactly what my 2" looks like that I got talked out of. And for all the right reasons it didnt even start up and run good but once removed it was just fine
Unread 02-10-2013, 05:50 PM   #21
Benzfrd
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I agree with you %100 that is why in my new intake I will have a T in the line so the snorkel will not be used but with the turn of a cap it will be all sealed up. I thought about it for awhile and since this is my DD at the moment (once the winter do list is done and its on the road ) I am in hope that I will have it all figured out . But with a T in the line it will suck threw just the new intake and filter and not the entire snorkel and should give me the same mpg if not better and all together better air flow . But please give me your thoughts on this and any other ideas either pros or cons I appreciate your time
Unread 02-10-2013, 06:02 PM   #22
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Sorry for being the dad here, but since you never plan to take it into deep water, this is a total waste time/money/effort/thought. The word 'stock' appears about 6 times in your profile vehicle description. I know I could find a huge number of non-poser things to improve aspects of Jeeping you actually plan on doing.
Unread 02-10-2013, 06:25 PM   #23
Benzfrd
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Sorry for being the dad here, but since you never plan to take it into deep water, this is a total waste time/money/effort/thought. The word 'stock' appears about 6 times in your profile vehicle description. I know I could find a huge number of non-poser things to improve aspects of Jeeping you actually plan on doing.
With all due respect arent all things stock till we find a way to make it our own. I dont plan to ever go deep enough to truly need it but I like the look and would like to have it on mine. So with that thought in mind I will leave that there. Plus who wants to rock a snorkel they made that doesnt even fuction at all

Now as far as my profile saying all stock everywhere do remember that I am not a rich guy. This is my toy and my DD I will be the one to do all my mods. And what better way then a true stock start.
Unread 02-10-2013, 10:15 PM   #24
Carlos14
Afraid of the Dark

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzfrd View Post
With all due respect arent all things stock till we find a way to make it our own. I dont plan to ever go deep enough to truly need it but I like the look and would like to have it on mine. So with that thought in mind I will leave that there. Plus who wants to rock a snorkel they made that doesnt even fuction at all

Now as far as my profile saying all stock everywhere do remember that I am not a rich guy. This is my toy and my DD I will be the one to do all my mods. And what better way then a true stock start.
none of us are rich guys, especially after we own our jeeps for a little while. I understand you like the look, but the money you did spend on this could have gone towards something a little more fun, and usable right? If there is one thing I've learned from this forum its that you should build your rig in a manner that you only have to build it one time. You dont want to look back a year later and say, man I wasted that money, as im going to be replacing it anyways.

food for thought. Aside from that, I say go for it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
I think you're skewing the facts. Clarity is relative. Our job is to lead people to the kingdom of heaven, not make them think they're looking at it. :D
Poison Spyder Hood Louver Install
Carlos14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2013, 05:37 AM   #25
Benzfrd
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos14 View Post
none of us are rich guys, especially after we own our jeeps for a little while. I understand you like the look, but the money you did spend on this could have gone towards something a little more fun, and usable right? If there is one thing I've learned from this forum its that you should build your rig in a manner that you only have to build it one time. You dont want to look back a year later and say, man I wasted that money, as im going to be replacing it anyways.

food for thought. Aside from that, I say go for it
Thank you for the words of advice I agree it was bad timing but since I already cut the hood I'm kinda locked into it. I dont think it was a waste of money or time though i am happy with the route it is going. Now as far as other things I would need what do you mean I could use ? I would like a few suggestions if you have a minute. I need my lift to get here and from there it's just tires and a few small mods here and there but from my rookie eye that should be good for a weekend wheeling warrior. If you have any suggestions please let me know.

And thank you for the support and advice
Unread 02-11-2013, 06:06 AM   #26
Carlos14
Afraid of the Dark

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzfrd View Post
Thank you for the words of advice I agree it was bad timing but since I already cut the hood I'm kinda locked into it. I dont think it was a waste of money or time though i am happy with the route it is going. Now as far as other things I would need what do you mean I could use ? I would like a few suggestions if you have a minute. I need my lift to get here and from there it's just tires and a few small mods here and there but from my rookie eye that should be good for a weekend wheeling warrior. If you have any suggestions please let me know.

And thank you for the support and advice
I'll pm you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
I think you're skewing the facts. Clarity is relative. Our job is to lead people to the kingdom of heaven, not make them think they're looking at it. :D
Poison Spyder Hood Louver Install
Carlos14 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.