DIY snorkel ???? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > DIY snorkel ????

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 02-07-2013, 08:28 AM   #1
Benzfrd
1994 YJ Wrangler 

DIY snorkel ????

Ok So if you guys cant tell from my past threads and comments I am a DIY guy all the way threw.

SO I have been thinking about getting/building my own snorkel.

It started by looking at them then once I seen the prices and material they use I thought yeah right time to DIY this thing.

I am going to go into the original air inlet and just shave down a 2" pvc pipe to fit then glue it in then just run the rest of the 2" out to the top of the truck.

Now down to the questions I have on my layout I came to make

Does anybody know if I will run into an issue using only 2" o.d. pvc?

I was thinking this may give me air restriction after all the length I had to use. Total length of intube air travel will be 5'. I did not install any air cleaner at the end because it just goes to the original air box anyway. It was all primed and glues then rubber sealed after. Not that i am gonna take it in deep water at all. Any info will help alot. Thank you in adavance

Benzfrd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-07-2013, 08:41 AM   #2
Benzfrd
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Here are some pics of the area and the can I wanna go into
img_0467.jpg   img_0468.jpg   img_0469.jpg  
Unread 02-07-2013, 08:46 AM   #3
caoboy
1991 YJ Wrangler 

2" will not be enough. It needs to be 3.5-4" to provide enough volume of air I think. do a search in the YJ forum for DIY Snorkel, you'll get plenty of hits.
caoboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-07-2013, 08:50 AM   #4
grandboost98
1989 YJ Wrangler 

This may give you some ideas.

I have an ARB safari snorkel but I had to make up the under hood section. From what Ive read, 2" would be way too small. Even at 3" with the tight turns isnt really enough. I think it was something like for every 90* turn it cuts down airflow around 50%. While I didnt notice an increase or decrease in power/mpg or anything, I plan to cut into the side of my airbox to eliminate the 2 90*s I have going into it
98 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - too many mods to list::SOLD::
grandboost98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-07-2013, 09:16 AM   #5
Benzfrd
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah I was thinking that the amont of bends I have would not work and the small pipe there either. But it was worth a shot regardless. the only problem Is I cant do 3" or any larger Pvc Or it looks retarted and the holes are way to big and the pipe is way to big to route out the truck unlees I do alot of relocating and fabing.

All other snorkel kits all have soft bends and they reduce down to a 2" at many points. But like I said if it will work and not cause huge problems I should be fine right? Should I just hook it up and run it to see? Or will I not be able to feel or hear a difference till its to late?
Unread 02-07-2013, 09:26 AM   #6
grandboost98
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The smallest part in my intake is 3"s, the ARB snorkel itself is a lot bigger. I think like 4.5" at the top

Its best to keep a consistent size with as least amount of bends as possible.

I had to relocate the windshield washer fluid bottle, the horn and the airbox itself. In order to fit the 3" tubing infront of the box I had to move the box back and up a few inches, if you notice, it almost touches the grill support
Unread 02-07-2013, 10:05 AM   #7
Benzfrd
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I can also tell that you had to change you mounts for your wiring as well. The ****ty part is I already cut the hood. Which I dont really care about but it does now lock me into going out that way. I had to relocate the horn but I was trying to keep the fluids in the same spot but I guess now im into this and need to redo the entire thing in 3". I was reading some other posts and threads like you said and it seems that everybody is having problems and needed to upgrade the size of the tube. They also talk about the bends and restirctions as well to the air flow. I think I am gonna redo it in 3"as much as I can But leave it short and just above the hood or right below the windshield.

I was also thinking of just cutting out the old airbox and redoing the sensors into the nex snorkel do you think that will give me less turns and a better approach fro airflow and to be able to get that pipe out the corner of the hood?
Unread 02-07-2013, 10:21 AM   #8
grandboost98
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah the wiring is for the windshield washer pump, didnt have any loom to cover it at the time of the pic. Yeah, theres a few good write ups, one using a really cool custom filter setup. If you could do something like that and eliminate all the bends youd be all set.
Unread 02-07-2013, 10:23 AM   #9
grandboost98
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Heres the filter I was talking about

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...e-pics-909382/

If you read through the link, I think he suggests switching to a 3" coupler
Unread 02-07-2013, 10:26 AM   #10
Benzfrd
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah I think I am gonna make my own Hbrid of those though. And that is good to know that the wiring right there is only for the windshield wipers and all. So that shouldnt be a problem to move outta the wa right. Or was that a peach?

I feel if I can move those wires and with the horn already moved I should be able to sneak in the 3" to the Flex pipe that goes to the old box. And then just come up with my own filter set up from there
Unread 02-07-2013, 10:27 AM   #11
Benzfrd
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandboost98 View Post
Heres the filter I was talking about

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...e-pics-909382/

If you read through the link, I think he suggests switching to a 3" coupler
This build looks awesome and very effective but it leaves me wondering why he then went to the 2" after all of that or did he bump up to a 3 or larger after ?
Unread 02-07-2013, 11:10 AM   #12
grandboost98
1989 YJ Wrangler 

It was just a matter of splicing in some longer wire and tube for the pump. That was the easiest part. I think he ended up switching to 3"
Unread 02-07-2013, 11:11 AM   #13
NHfireLJ
Jeeper Creeper

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzfrd View Post
I can also tell that you had to change you mounts for your wiring as well. The ****ty part is I already cut the hood. Which I dont really care about but it does now lock me into going out that way. I had to relocate the horn but I was trying to keep the fluids in the same spot but I guess now im into this and need to redo the entire thing in 3". I was reading some other posts and threads like you said and it seems that everybody is having problems and needed to upgrade the size of the tube. They also talk about the bends and restirctions as well to the air flow. I think I am gonna redo it in 3"as much as I can But leave it short and just above the hood or right below the windshield.

I was also thinking of just cutting out the old airbox and redoing the sensors into the nex snorkel do you think that will give me less turns and a better approach fro airflow and to be able to get that pipe out the corner of the hood?

Hummer intake then...

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...style-1257285/
intakecutdown.jpg  
LUCY...2005 Unlimited "LJ" Rubicon Sahara #495

BETTY...94 SE, Stroker 4.6, 4.5,lift,35"s,D30 Aussie, 8.8. Sold

Hummer Intake
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...style-1257285/
NHfireLJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-08-2013, 03:52 PM   #14
Benzfrd
1994 YJ Wrangler 

So check this out man I started to get he parts together. It was $20 for the flex hose needed 2. Each of those reducers are $25 needed 2. The slip reducer $10 again need 2. Then the filter $20 and the seals and glue $15. So already I am way over this kids guessed prices. But im into it this far. All the holes I cut will still work. I didnt have to move the fluid tanks or the wires!! It will not be rock solid but it will be done and good enough for what I will need for now. I will post up pics soon.
Unread 02-08-2013, 03:54 PM   #15
Benzfrd
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHfireYJ View Post
I like the way that looks. Expecially being in the military and have drivin hummers before. But I will be able to use all the old holes and mounts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.