DIY Paint Job - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > DIY Paint Job

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 08-08-2011, 07:22 PM   #16
soonermatt
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Here's $266 worth of single stage from I'Really's. I did the same color as the new JK's. This was shot with an $18 Harbor Freight gun.

forumrunner_20110808_202148.jpg  
soonermatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2011, 07:34 PM   #17
1murderedjeep
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
I knew it would fade, and didn't care. I spent about $40 for that spray can job. I did think I'd get 2-3 years before it got that bad though.

If you were to clear a spray can job then I don't think it would be worth it. Can you even get clear in a spray can? At that point you could have just got a cheap single stage paint and a harbor freight paint gun and done it for the same price.
ya you can buy rattle can clear. I didnt do it. We paint my dads pick up with rattle cans and it lasted 3 years now it is time to wet sand it and trough another coat on it should only take a couple of cans. However my throught is why spend my limited buget on a good paint job when it will get beat up anyways. Plus easy touch up. BTW like the bedliner on yours, i wouldnt want it but it does make it look tough
1murderedjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2011, 07:35 PM   #18
Burns95
2004 WJ 

HA HA!!! I am laughing at myself here. I looked at your picture and thought, "What the heck is this guy talking about? He posted a picture of an empty garage!" Then I realized that I was looking at the sheen of your door. Great work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hesserdude07 View Post
and if you wanna keep it black, then take your sweet time and prep it right. Sand every inch of it, and then double check all your corners. And as others stated, if its bolted on then remove it!!

Here is a black jeep that i did about 2 months ago(give or take). This is the passenger side door...

Burns95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2011, 07:37 PM   #19
phil1330
1964 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burns95 View Post
HA HA!!! I am laughing at myself here. I looked at your picture and thought, "What the heck is this guy talking about? He posted a picture of an empty garage!" Then I realized that I was looking at the sheen of your door. Great work!
I knew that was going to happen!!
I said the same thing a couple of months ago when he posted the same pic.
Unread 08-08-2011, 09:04 PM   #20
sirhc76
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I've painted before, not professional or even close to it and mainly assisted my grandfather who was before he finally retired a 3rd time. That was painting aircraft with Imron, fun stuff Last month I picked up a 95 YJ that was factory black and had a flat black rattle can job over the peeling clear. Couple that with the peeling bed liner and I knew I had some work ahead of me. I stripped the liner and decided soon after that I would paint it. I began to strip the paint trying to keep as much of the factory undercoating on as possible.

I set up a spray area in the garage using my 30 inch fan and cut plywood to create a base with the garage door raised the same height. It pulls filtered air out of the house using a few air filters and exhausts through the hole cut for the fan. This was set up at this point just to test it prior to final paint. Since I know this jeep is going to get torn up I wanted to go as cheap and easy, while getting a decent 20/20 paint job as possible and decided to give Rustoleum a shot. I didn't want to deal with any fresh air systems so I tried to stay away from auto body paints.

Did some minor dent correction if they were easy to get to. I went ahead and sprayed rusty metal primer since I already had it for my paint mix. All parts were sprayed with Rustoleum filler primer, 3 coats, and I started wet sanding. The color I plan to use was borrowed from a suggestion by another board member, Hunter Green mixed with Rusty metal primer and thinned with mineral spirits. I picked up the $34.99 model HVLP from Harbor Freight used a 20% coupon and gave it a shot based on the comments listed. I've sprayed with a few sharpes and binks guns, again not an expert but this gun when adjusted shot well.

Minus the materials that I already had, I've spent $30 for the gun, $30 on paint, $44 in filler primer and put in a decent amount of labor. I bought the jeep to have a project and knew I was getting into work when I did so. I'm also not overly concerned about the elements as the jeep will be in a garage when not getting torn up.

My wife is ready to get her garage back and I hope she doesn't notice the 30 inch circle spot that I managed to spill Herculiner on I only wish I would have determined I was going to paint prior to rolling in a new liner.

You can see some pics here if interested.

http://photobucket.com/Jeep95

Paint should go on this week, this was just a quick color test over a piece of sheet metal I had laying around after my floor pan repair.

sirhc76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2011, 09:37 PM   #21
clarkjdg
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Everything "Black" on mine is bed linered including inside, and underneath. When I painted mine I did mine in black and white "Paint" with high pressure paint, and gloss and after I got finished I knew if I didn't do something different I would be afraid of getting her scratched and wouldn't do the stuff I loved so right then before I even pulled her out of the garage I went and got the stuff to do everything black in the bed liner if you don't have to worry about scratching you "can" have more fun.
paint-finish.jpg  
(o) )-(o) )-*-) )
88 YJ, Smittybilt SRC Front, Side, and Rear Armor, Family Roll Bars, TJ Flares, and Half Doors
4"Leaf, 2"Body, and 1"Leaf Lift, 4.10 Geared Dana 30 Posi with Cable Engage, Ford 8.8 Posi, With 33s BFGs MT KM2
Everything "Black" Inner, Under, and outer "Black" on the Body is "Bed Linered" and I will be Thru the day that I Die!
clarkjdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2011, 10:04 PM   #22
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkjdg View Post
Everything "Black" on mine is bed linered including inside, and underneath. When I painted mine I did mine in black and white "Paint" with high pressure paint, and gloss and after I got finished I knew if I didn't do something different I would be afraid of getting her scratched and wouldn't do the stuff I loved so right then before I even pulled her out of the garage I went and got the stuff to do everything black in the bed liner if you don't have to worry about scratching you "can" have more fun.
I've got to tell you honestly, this is one of my favorite jeeps that I've seen on this site in the last two years.
Unread 08-08-2011, 10:24 PM   #23
clarkjdg
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Here she is with my half doors on for this summer.
new-2.jpg  
(o) )-(o) )-*-) )
88 YJ, Smittybilt SRC Front, Side, and Rear Armor, Family Roll Bars, TJ Flares, and Half Doors
4"Leaf, 2"Body, and 1"Leaf Lift, 4.10 Geared Dana 30 Posi with Cable Engage, Ford 8.8 Posi, With 33s BFGs MT KM2
Everything "Black" Inner, Under, and outer "Black" on the Body is "Bed Linered" and I will be Thru the day that I Die!
clarkjdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2011, 11:11 PM   #24
DesertDino
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkjdg
Here she is with my half doors on for this summer.
Nice look! I like how it fades
Unread 08-09-2011, 02:08 AM   #25
95laredokid
1989 YJ Wrangler 

With my old ranger I sanded her down and sprayed it with orange Tractor paint

http://www.fordrangerforum.com/exter...oks-great.html
95laredokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2011, 06:35 AM   #26
sacrifice
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I rolled mine on with majic brand tractor/implement paint. Its not perfect, nor is it very pretty but its a jeep and after a wet sand and polish it will look fine.

sacrifice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2011, 07:33 AM   #27
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacrifice View Post
I rolled mine on with majic brand tractor/implement paint. Its not perfect, nor is it very pretty but its a jeep and after a wet sand and polish it will look fine.

Is that continental blue or the actual FNH blue?
Unread 08-09-2011, 07:44 AM   #28
sacrifice
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Yes, new ford/new holland blue with majic hardner. Didn't cut it at all as I rolled it on.
sacrifice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2011, 08:12 AM   #29
jhumphrey
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PotentialYJNewb View Post
Hello guys, I looked around a bit but there are no real definitive answers or a guide on how to do this. What I'd really like is some advice from someone who's done it and can tell me exactly what they do.

Maaco is second option. I want to do it myself because it would be cheaper, even though Maaco really doesn't cost all that much.

What would I need to get this done and around how much would it cost? I wanna paint my YJ an orange or yellow. It is currently black.

One more quick question, for various misc. parts for Jeeps/YJs etc, is there a forum on here where people sell there stuff? People are customizing all day, so obviously they must do something with their old things.

Thanks fellas as always.
I re-painted my YJ a couple of months ago. I allotted two days for prep, one day for painting, and 3-4 more to allow it dry time (I dont have an oven).

The first day was stripping the entire interior out, as I was doing inside and out. It didnt take me the whole day to do this, so I started sanding the interior/exterior toward the end of day one. ALL of day two was used to finish up the sanding. It is imperative that you get all the clear coat off of the jeep before you do any painting. If you dont, it'll peel for sure. This is by far the most time consuming part. Sand, wipe, sand, wipe. You'll get used to that

When you're ready to paint, I suggest doing it in a booth of some sort, as outside will allow to much foreign debris in. That'll just make you mad since you spent so much on prepping it for this moment. To sum it up, it took me two solid days to prep, about 40 mins to paint it all. Then, I had to let it set for about 3 days to let the paint dry and then had to reassemble.

I chose Single stage paint (means that the paint and clearcoat are already mixed together) and Daytona Electric Blue as my color, Raptor lined the interior and my hardtop. Raptor was much easier to deal with and dried quicker. If I were redoing it today, I would have done Raptor on the outside as well... but hey, the paint was cheap, $98 - shipped per gallon.

I'd say that I spent around $300 total on paint, sand paper, and other prep items. Whatever you do, do not take it to maco, Ive heard way to much bad about them.

If you have to spray outside, I would suggest just doing the entire jeep in Raptor/Monstaliner/etc., as you can shoot that outdoors and in around an hour, you can move your jeep back indoors. It takes 5-7 days for the liners to really be set for "heavy duty" use. Some say faster, but this is just recommendations.

If your Jeep sees a lot of offroad use, I would also suggest doing it as spray on liner. The first time I took my offroad after painting, I about cried. Small branches scratched all down the sides. They buffed out, but there's nothing like that feeling that you ruined your new paintjob
jhumphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2011, 08:36 AM   #30
piperoo
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Jhumphrey and sacrifice, can you both share where you got your paint, how much paint it took, and what kind of paint please? I was going to repaint my jeep on OD green but if I can get some crazy yellow color and make it look "OK" then I would do that. How much would I need in gallons to paint the whole exterior of the jeep...without the top.
piperoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.