DIY Paint Job - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > DIY Paint Job

Dana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJClayton Off Road JK Long Arm Upgrade Kits!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-08-2011, 04:46 PM   #1
PotentialYJNewb
1987 YJ Wrangler 

DIY Paint Job

Hello guys, I looked around a bit but there are no real definitive answers or a guide on how to do this. What I'd really like is some advice from someone who's done it and can tell me exactly what they do.

Maaco is second option. I want to do it myself because it would be cheaper, even though Maaco really doesn't cost all that much.

What would I need to get this done and around how much would it cost? I wanna paint my YJ an orange or yellow. It is currently black.

One more quick question, for various misc. parts for Jeeps/YJs etc, is there a forum on here where people sell there stuff? People are customizing all day, so obviously they must do something with their old things.

Thanks fellas as always.

PotentialYJNewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2011, 04:54 PM   #2
I8AHUMR
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Search the net for $50 paint job. Multiple sites should pop up. There's a good one from someone who did an old falcon I believe. Pretty detailed and informative.

05 WK, 5.7 Hemi, Quadra-Drive II
I8AHUMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2011, 05:02 PM   #3
hesserdude07
1993 YJ Wrangler 

if you let macco do it, then be prepaired to do it yourself next summer.... they are cheap for a reason!!

There are some decent write ups on here on ppl that did paint jobs. I could go into so much detail you'd be lost... But then again i paint everyday.
Unread 08-08-2011, 05:07 PM   #4
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Any paint job is all about the prep work. My dad had an old car painted with one of those super cheap specials and they sprayed right over the bugs.

IMHO yellow, orange or any bright color only looks good if it's done well and high gloss. That is either serious money or lots of elbow grease from you.

Here is the $50 version. I think tremclad is the name for rustoleum in Canada.

http://wichargerguy.proboards.com/in...ay&thread=5940
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2011, 05:10 PM   #5
1murderedjeep
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I did a krylon special!!! Heres the results
1murderedjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2011, 05:10 PM   #6
davidvondoom
1996 ZJ 

I'd go for doing a rusto job. I think it's a positive way to go if you have the space to do it. There are many online videos, and websites that will show to good techniques, and make your jeep look sick. I started to do a custom job to my TJ until i sold it. So it was half sanded and primed down.

I want to see your outcome though, i'm looking to get a YJ or CJ in the next 2 -3 years, and plan on starting from scratch.
davidvondoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2011, 05:14 PM   #7
nathanninja
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I did a roughly $300 paint job with an Acrylic enamel. It looks decent, but I skimped and bought a harbor freight gun instead of a good gun, so it's not smooth. And I had no prior experience in painting whatsoever. But hey, I still think its beautiful. On the other hand, it doesn't seem to have hardened up very well. Some places are better than others though.
nathanninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2011, 05:29 PM   #8
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

If you go with flat paint, use a roller.

If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2011, 05:50 PM   #9
TheNewbie
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I did a Krylon job and after a year it faded and got chalky.

So I got a kit of Raptor Liner. It comes with a gallon (in 4 bottles) of bed liner and the spray gun. You just need an air compressor. It's not for everyone though. I have one kit on the exterior, plus one extra bottle for the doors. I have 3 bottles left to do the hard top (when I get it out of the barn that it's in for the summer) and some touch ups if I ever need to.

I sanded it down and degreased for the Krylon job. It stuck, but faded. For the Raptor liner I jsut took a wire wheel to it and scuffed the heck out of it, then cleaned it with turpatine or somethign like that. The prep for the Krylon took me 2 days. Adn a good 1/2 day to shoot it.

For the Raptor liner it look me maybe 2 hours to prep and 30-45 minurtes to shoot.

My build thread...
I've got a shotgun, a rifle and a four wheel drive...
TheNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2011, 06:46 PM   #10
1murderedjeep
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Newbie you have to clear it krylon is not uv protected.
1murderedjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2011, 06:51 PM   #11
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Prep is the key to a great paint job. It's been said a thousand times before for a reason. And here's another tip that's been brought up a few times too: if its bolted on, unbolt it and paint separately.

You're painting over black so take your time and do it right. Spend some time picking the right primer, it's just as important as the paint in your situation.
Unread 08-08-2011, 06:53 PM   #12
TheNewbie
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1murderedjeep View Post
Newbie you have to clear it krylon is not uv protected.
I knew it would fade, and didn't care. I spent about $40 for that spray can job. I did think I'd get 2-3 years before it got that bad though.

If you were to clear a spray can job then I don't think it would be worth it. Can you even get clear in a spray can? At that point you could have just got a cheap single stage paint and a harbor freight paint gun and done it for the same price.

My build thread...
I've got a shotgun, a rifle and a four wheel drive...
TheNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2011, 07:01 PM   #13
Metatrox
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I went with SherKem from Sherwin Williams. Its a single stage High Gloss Tractor/Industrial equipment paint. I've only had it painted for a few months so i dont know long term but I like the result. Its around $150 once you get some hardener and Xylene.

From this,

To this,
1994 YJ, 4.0, SOA, TSL-SX 38x12.50x16.5, D44 front(Aussie Locker), D60 Rear (Spool), Custom Stinger, Smittybilt Rear Corners, Smittybilt Rock Rails, Smittybilt Tube Fenders, Warn CE M8000, York On-Board Air - www.metatrox.com
Metatrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2011, 07:05 PM   #14
hesserdude07
1993 YJ Wrangler 

and if you wanna keep it black, then take your sweet time and prep it right. Sand every inch of it, and then double check all your corners. And as others stated, if its bolted on then remove it!!

Here is a black jeep that i did about 2 months ago(give or take). This is the passenger side door...

Unread 08-08-2011, 07:17 PM   #15
phil1330
1964 CJ5 

listen to hesserdude07(he's a hell of a painter)....you could paint it yourself outside with no problem.Its not going to be perfect but YOU DID IT YOURSELF.. Paint first thing in the morning.. EARLY while the sun is coming up. Reason is the bugs aren't out yet and the ground still has dew on it so the dust is minimal. Or you could paint it in a garage with all the walls and ceiling covered with plastic and a exhuast fan.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.