Disk Brake pad size problem. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Disk Brake pad size problem.

ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.c

Unread 01-11-2014, 08:29 AM   #1
WDNewman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Disk Brake pad size problem.

Just finished putting new front brake pads on my '89 YJ. Driver side, no problem. On the passenger side the outer pad went on fine, but the inside pad would not fit. Upon further checking I found that the mounting plate was the same on all four pads, but the old pad for the inside passenger side was smaller than the pads for the other three wheels. Not the mounting plate, just the pad. This is a head scratcher to me. Has some PO during the last 25 years replaced the right side of the front axle with a different unit, or was there at one time different sized pads for the inner and outer applications? Any help will be appreciated.

WDNewman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2014, 08:36 AM   #2
1320yj

The inner pads are different on some models because of the use of different pistons in the caliper. Steel pistons hace a larger clip and phenolic(plastic) pistons have a smaller clip. Take one of the old inboard pads to the parts store and they can figure out which pads you need.
1320yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2014, 08:44 AM   #3
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

someone probably changed the caliper with what is called a loaded caliper (meaning it came with brake pads installed)

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2014, 05:12 PM   #4
WDNewman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks guys. Either answer makes perfect sense to me. I'll take the old pad to the store this week to see if I can get a matchup. Was kind of strange to run into this situation, but over 25 years of "repair" I guess anything can happen.

Thanks again.
Unread 01-13-2014, 10:45 AM   #5
jokerchief462
Wild Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

There is a remarkable difference between 89 and somewhere in the 90s for steering knuckles and brakes. PO may have replaced the right front parts.

You will be best doing show and tell at the parts counter.

Sent from underneath my Jeep

AF Jeep Club Tail #184
jokerchief462 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2014, 07:21 AM   #6
WDNewman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I tend to think that something indeed had happened to the right front wheel assembly in the recent past. The cotter pin on the nut of the right front wheel bearings was new. The left side wasn't. The existing pads on the left side were about 1/2 worn out, the ones on the right side were completely worn out with damage done to the rotor by the rivets. The left side rotor was by no means new, but the surface was smooth. I am starting to envision say, stump damage to the right front wheel (stumps are what we bang our jeeps into down here since we don't have rocks) and some PO getting a wheel assembly from a junk yard off of an older unit and installing the whole shooting match, worn pads and all.

Again, thanks for the help. Soon I will bother the devil out of some poor clerk at the parts store about this.
Unread 01-15-2014, 07:39 AM   #7
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

what part number did they give you? There are 2 different sets by what year it is. d203 or d477. Im sure if you take your old pad in they will be able to fix you up. Once you buy this set hang on to what you have left over for when the pads you just put on wore out.

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
disk brakes

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.