Dirty Transfer case Fluid Just changed-leaking from Manual Transmission??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Dirty Transfer case Fluid Just changed-leaking from Manual Transmission???

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Warn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCOR

Unread 11-23-2008, 10:33 PM   #1
ctsvmongo

Dirty Transfer case Fluid Just changed-leaking from Manual Transmission???

Help me please. I am new to Jeep ownership. I have a 92 Wrangler 4.0 5 Speed Manual.

Last edited by ctsvmongo; 02-18-2009 at 10:31 AM.. Reason: updated
ctsvmongo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-24-2008, 09:08 AM   #2
idaholtby
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Your ATF fluid turned dark so quickly because the inside of your newly acquired transfer case had a lot of dirt/sludge in it. Drain and refill the case with fresh ATF. Run it for a couple hundred miles and drain and refill again. Repeat until the transfer case fluid stays clean. ATF is a real good cleaner and it is dissolving the gunk that is in there. It is either repeated flushing, or tear it down and do a full rebuild/clean. As far as the tranny and transfer case fluids mixing, it is highly unlikely. Both units have their own seals and if either were to leak, it would gravity drain through a weep hole at the bottom and not make it between units.
Like you discovered, the transfer case tail shaft seal is a common leaker. You can replace it and clean/deburr your slip yoke for a semi-permanent fix. By design it will eventually leak again. Permanent fix would be to do a SYE conversion, but these are spendy.

As far as the tranny fluid, stick with GL-4 gear lube. GL-5's have sulfur additives that attack the brass synchros.
Being that you are in Nebraska, I would recommend a synthetic such as Redline MT-90 or Penzoil Synchromesh. These type fluids greatly reduce the stiff shifting in cold weather that these transmissions are known for.
idaholtby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-24-2008, 12:25 PM   #3
ctsvmongo

Thanks for the help. I can use that if I ever have any problems.

Last edited by ctsvmongo; 02-18-2009 at 10:31 AM..
Unread 11-24-2008, 02:42 PM   #4
idaholtby
1991 YJ Wrangler 

It is worth a try. The worst thing that could happen is that it still leaks and you are only out your time.
idaholtby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-24-2008, 03:25 PM   #5
ctsvmongo

Thanks again, Nice Jeep by the way. Love the Hellcats(?)
Unread 01-23-2009, 08:44 AM   #6
crzylgzz
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by idaholtby View Post
It is worth a try. The worst thing that could happen is that it still leaks and you are only out your time.
wait wanna run that part about the tranny fluid by me again. Ive been wanting to drain and replace my manual tranny fluid for some time but> i havent the foggiest idea how...

So your saying the stock recommended fluid normally used is no good, cause it has a tendency to eat away at the brass synchro's..

ok where do i begin on the dump and pump?? I looked everywhere for a drain, fill plug on my tranny, no luck..

please advise.
crzylgzz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.