dirtworx bumper and tire carrier - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > dirtworx bumper and tire carrier

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 12-21-2013, 01:49 PM   #1
dukeryder
1995 YJ Wrangler 

dirtworx bumper and tire carrier

I've read a few reviews on this bumper/tire carrier combo on here, but I think most of those are pretty old.

It took a long time for it to arrive, but it is fabbed from raw steel to order, and I knew that and if I wanted one fast I could've order a made in china one for about the same cost. But this one is built so much better. It does come in raw steel so you have to either get it painted or powder coated. I opted to paint it myself since my Jeep is a trail rig and it's going to probably hit some rocks and stuff so I painted it with some Rustoleum "Hammered" for a fraction of the price.

It was really easy to install and everything lined up perfectly. I haven't been able to trail test it yet, and won't be able to until spring. But overall I'm much happier I went with this over a $hittybilt or the like.

dukeryder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2013, 02:18 PM   #2
Richard_

1995 YJ Wrangler 

is the bumper tow rated ? looks nice
Richard_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2013, 03:13 PM   #3
idskot
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_ View Post
is the bumper tow rated ? looks nice
Well, considering how it's made out of solid steel, has those tow hooks, I'm guessing yes.
idskot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2013, 05:20 PM   #4
Reno72
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Have had mine for awhile, solid as the day I mounted it. No rattles, swing opens very smooth, I also ordered the high lift jack mount, it holds my jack and shovel. Only mod I did on mine was a wheel spacer as with my 35" tires and rim I didn't feel there were enough threads on the wheel studs. This moved my tire out a bit so it just touches the bars.
BTW it is rated as a class III hitch unlike many of the eBay bumpers which say "not for towing"
Reno72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2013, 05:21 PM   #5
Kdeome
1992 YJ Wrangler 

That would be a stupid guess then.
Kdeome is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2013, 05:51 PM   #6
imstillatwork
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdeome View Post
That would be a stupid guess then.
safe to assume that MOST of the small fab shop bumpers are NOT rated for towing. To officially have a tow rating of xx,000 lbs costs a ridiculous amount of money.

If the hitch receiver is welded all the way through front and back, and the bumper is tied into the frame, I would tow a few thousand pounds with it. I have the dirtworx front bumper. If the rear is the same quality and the hitch goes through I'd feel very confident in its capacity to tow. Anything over a quad or two I'd make sure to get the frame tie in brackets from whoever it is that makes them.
imstillatwork is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2013, 06:23 PM   #7
dancytron
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I have a dirtworx rear bumper. When I asked if it was tow rated, the answer I got was "officially no".
dancytron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2013, 08:12 PM   #8
imstillatwork
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancytron View Post
I have a dirtworx rear bumper. When I asked if it was tow rated, the answer I got was "officially no".
Right, because officially it has to go through engineering, certification, and testing, and the manufacture then has to deal with liability and insurance. They have to say no to save their butt.

The materials and construction of these are better than the thin angle iron add-on hitches.

My only concern would be with frame tie in. The rear bumper plate is pretty thin on a YJ.
imstillatwork is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2013, 10:33 PM   #9
linusb
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Looks great! I bought his hardware kit and I've been very pleased. The latch is very secure and functional.
1994 YJ Wrangler, 4.0, AX15, NP231, 35x12.50x15 BFG KM2s, 4" RC lift, 1" lift Boom Shackles, 1" BL, 4.10 gears, 8.8 LSD in rear and D30 Aussie Locker in front, on-board air conversion, Ramsey RE8000 winch.
linusb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2013, 10:46 PM   #10
AtTheHelm

So much better than a mass produced bumper ordered from a catalog!
AtTheHelm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2013, 11:46 PM   #11
dukeryder
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by imstillatwork View Post
My only concern would be with frame tie in. The rear bumper plate is pretty thin on a YJ.
It not only bolts to where the bumperettes used to be, but bolts to the frame as well.

This bumper could tow more weight than I'd ever want to tow with the YJ.
Unread 12-22-2013, 03:24 AM   #12
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

So basically if you decide to tow with it and it fails, then no pointing fingers no matter what the consequences.
Unread 12-22-2013, 07:34 AM   #13
jeepguy85
Bringing down the BFH
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukeryder
I've read a few reviews on this bumper/tire carrier combo on here, but I think most of those are pretty old. It took a long time for it to arrive, but it is fabbed from raw steel to order, and I knew that and if I wanted one fast I could've order a made in china one for about the same cost. But this one is built so much better. It does come in raw steel so you have to either get it painted or powder coated. I opted to paint it myself since my Jeep is a trail rig and it's going to probably hit some rocks and stuff so I painted it with some Rustoleum "Hammered" for a fraction of the price. It was really easy to install and everything lined up perfectly. I haven't been able to trail test it yet, and won't be able to until spring. But overall I'm much happier I went with this over a $hittybilt or the like.
If you don't mind me asking, how much was that setup?
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneRZA View Post
Mean Max created Chuck Norris with some spare parts, two trac bars and some differential fluid.
jeepguy85 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-22-2013, 12:13 PM   #14
dukeryder
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I paid $436 to have it shipped to my door, I think you can get it cheaper if you opt to not have the Hi-Lift Jack Mount or provisions for shackles IIRC that was like $100 less. (You can't see the Hi-Lift Mount in mine because I don't have a hi-lift yet and the tire is blocking it).

http://www.thedirtworx.com/Rearbumpers.html
Unread 12-22-2013, 02:54 PM   #15
Bong_Holyeo
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I bought one of these for my jeep a year ago and it is as nice and solid now as the day i bought it. As far as the hitch, when using it to tow the YJ suspension and brakes are the weak link before the hitch. Some of the best money i ever spent on my jeep, i would also highly recommend dirtworx over $hitttybuilt any day.
Bong_Holyeo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.