Direct bolt in Seat Swap, 87-89 seat risers different than 90-95 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Direct bolt in Seat Swap, 87-89 seat risers different than 90-95

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 04-03-2009, 03:29 AM   #1
hillside250

Direct bolt in Seat Swap, 87-89 seat risers different than 90-95

I have read all the seat swap threads I could find and the Wiki page. All the direct bolt into seat swaps for YJ's dont' apply to 87-89 YJ's. I tried some 95 grand am, 97 cavalier seats, 96 sunbird seats, grand prix, etc. I took my 89 seat rails to the junk yard and none of the them are direct bolt on. All the seats rail mounting holes are like much longer than my 89 YJ rails mounting points. If I have to fab up some brackets I am going to get some different seats besides the ones listed. Does anyone have any idea what year/model seats will be a DIRECT BOLT in for a 87-89 YJ
Thanks

hillside250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2009, 04:12 AM   #2
buckshot500
1990 YJ Wrangler 

This is all I got on seat swaps;
http://www.jeepaholics.com/tech/must...stangseats.htm

Haven't done this yet, so I don't even know if all the info is correct. He's saying that all 1976 to 1995 CJ & YJ seat risers are the same.

This swap looks easy, & I may do it & have a local upholstery lady recover them with thick vinyl to make them water resistant.

Good luck with you swap. You should try to find someone nearby who has a 90-95 YJ & see if their riser bracket is different from yours.
buckshot500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2009, 04:44 AM   #3
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillside250 View Post
I have read all the seat swap threads I could find and the Wiki page. All the direct bolt into seat swaps for YJ's dont' apply to 87-89 YJ's. I tried some 95 grand am, 97 cavalier seats, 96 sunbird seats, grand prix, etc. I took my 89 seat rails to the junk yard and none of the them are direct bolt on. All the seats rail mounting holes are like much longer than my 89 YJ rails mounting points. If I have to fab up some brackets I am going to get some different seats besides the ones listed. Does anyone have any idea what year/model seats will be a DIRECT BOLT in for a 87-89 YJ
Thanks
I am going to look into it but I am fairly certain it is the seat sliders that directly bolt to them not the risers.

And for those that ask, here is the jeepforum/wiki page on this: http://www.jeepforum.com/wiki/index..../YJ_Seat_swaps

EDIT, after reading thru many,many posts, I have figured out that you are correct. The '87-'90 seat slider/riser is different than the '91-'95 setup. I will add this to the FAQ.

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2009, 12:47 PM   #4
hillside250

Ok thanks all your posts helped me a lot. I wonder if there are any direct bolt in swaps for the 90 and down YJ seat rails/risers?
hillside250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2009, 01:17 PM   #5
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Okay, in order to further "muddy the waters", I was under the impression that the '87-'90 risers/sliders had the same bolt patterns as the '91-'95 models, and that the only difference was that the driver's seat on the early models had the "tumble & fold" feature like the passenger seat and the later models didn't because their driver's seatback actually tilts forward instead of being "fixed" in the upright position.

Can somebody clear this up for my feeble mind?

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2009, 01:34 PM   #6
littleredjeep
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I know on mine I bought some Cavi seats and it was not a direct bolt. I had to get a couple pieces of flat steel to get it to bolt to the factory risers. The bolt holes were off slightly. I would say about a inch, but a inch is still to much.

I also know on mine that it has "tumble and fold" method like mean max said. I don't know about the later years though.
littleredjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2009, 01:56 PM   #7
Piet
2008 JK Wrangler 

My 1988 has a forward fold drivers seat (Tumble and fold rear seat)
My 1994 DOES NOT have a forward fold drivers seat (Tumble and fold rear seat)
- Peter ----------- Canadian Jeep Club Member #1969
2008 Jeep Wrangler JKU Rubicon "Ubercon" - 3.8L V6, 6 Spd Manual, RockTrac with Dana 44's on 32's. Mostly stock for now...
SOLD - 1988 Jeep Wrangler "Golden Eagle" - 350 TBI, NV4500, Dana 300, Detroit Locked Dana 44, Spooled 9", SOA, 37" MTR's
SOLD - 1994 Jeep Wrangler "Oliver" - 4 Cylinder Stocker on 31" Kuhmo MTs
Piet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2009, 02:17 PM   #8
YJdad
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piet View Post
Same here

98' ZJ GCL - Stock V8

75% of the world is covered by water, the rest is covered by Jeep!
YJdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2009, 02:33 PM   #9
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piet View Post
My 1988 has a forward fold drivers seat (Tumble and fold rear seat)
Quote:
Originally Posted by YJdad View Post
Same here
Which is exactly what I was saying.

But replacement seats are sold as "bolt-in" for OE risers/sliders on ALL years, so the bolt pattern should be the same, no matter whether it has the:

A) '87-'90 tumble & fold driver/passenger risers

OR

B) '91-'95 fixed driver side/tumble & fold passenger

Or so it would seem, to me anyway.

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.