Dimensions of YJ family bar rear bars? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Dimensions of YJ family bar rear bars?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 10-30-2015, 11:52 AM   #1
eodjeep
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Dimensions of YJ family bar rear bars?

Hello,

I have a sport bar that I want to modify. Part of that is adding in "family bar" style bars to the rear of my existing sport bar to facilitate back seat protection and safari type tops.

Does anyone have the dimensions of the rear bars? I believe the bend is 75 degrees but I have no reference for the spacing between the bars at the bend. Also, the dimensions to the center of the family bars bend from mount points would be very helpful.

edit: I know this question has been asked before...but none of the posts I found actually had an answer.

Last edited by eodjeep; 10-30-2015 at 12:17 PM.. Reason: added comment
eodjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-30-2015, 12:23 PM   #2
14Sport
JY YJ

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I have mine off right now. I can measure it tonight when I get home if no one helps out in the meantime.

My observations are based on my experiences...YMMV.
14Sport is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-30-2015, 12:29 PM   #3
eodjeep
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Sport View Post
I have mine off right now. I can measure it tonight when I get home if no one helps out in the meantime.
Thank you. That would be greatly appreciated.
Unread 10-30-2015, 12:46 PM   #4
14Sport
JY YJ

1995 YJ Wrangler 

No problem. You want the distance between the driver and passenger bar measured at the bends and also the distance from the main crossmember bar behind the front seats to the middle of the bend? Along the top of the bar? You do realize that is somewhat subjective to the exact center?

Unread 10-30-2015, 03:38 PM   #5
14Sport
JY YJ

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Okay the measurements are as follows...

Distance between the bars where they meet the cross member 35-7/8".
Distance between the bars at the approximate middle of the bend...43-7/8".
Distance between the bars at the rear feet plates...48".
Distance from the cross member to the approximate center of the bend measured in a straight line...21.75".
Length of the front to rear bar measured from the top weld point at the cross member to the rear mounting plate from above including both bends...52".

These are approximate but very, very close (I'd say within an eighth of an inch) as my bar is upside down on the garage floor with a stack of tools in the middle. I'm prepping the tub for Monstaliner so don't judge.

Unread 10-30-2015, 04:27 PM   #6
eodjeep
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Sport View Post
Okay the measurements are as follows...

Distance between the bars where they meet the cross member 35-7/8".
Distance between the bars at the approximate middle of the bend...43-7/8".
Distance between the bars at the rear feet plates...48".
Distance from the cross member to the approximate center of the bend measured in a straight line...21.75".
Length of the front to rear bar measured from the top weld point at the cross member to the rear mounting plate from above including both bends...52".

These are approximate but very, very close (I'd say within an eighth of an inch) as my bar is upside down on the garage floor with a stack of tools in the middle. I'm prepping the tub for Monstaliner so don't judge.

No judgement here...mine's prepped for AL's liner. I would have sprayed today but I'm doing it outside and its been pouring rain today.

Thank you! That should get me where I need to be.

Mostly I just want to be able to run a decent safari top to keep the AZ sun off my kid. I'm aiming for something like this (giggityjeeper's pic) but with a gusset in the middle that I can also use for a pintle mount.
cage008.jpg

Unread 10-30-2015, 04:30 PM   #7
14Sport
JY YJ

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eodjeep View Post
No judgement here...mine's prepped for AL's liner. I would have sprayed today but I'm doing it outside and its been pouring rain today.

Thank you! That would get me where I need to be. In this case I think close will be good enough. Mostly I just want to be able to run a decent safari top to keep the AZ sun off my kid.
Understood. Glad I could help. Rain in AZ? Lol...didn't think that happened much.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.