Dilemma - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Dilemma

Rubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at Oco

Unread 10-28-2010, 06:02 PM   #1
Gilgameshwing

Dilemma

I have a YJ 1992, 4 cyl. 5 shift and I'm pretty much rebuilding the car one part at a time. So far the parts I've replaced are pretty small (starter and water pump) and it's time for the old engine to be fixed.
I have two options as far as I know: to get an entirely new engine (approx. $1200) or to get the old, original one rebuilt (approx $600).
So here is my question to you guys: Which would last longer?

(P.S. Keep in mind I don't know much about cars, so dumb it down. I catch on quick, but I know only basic terms)

Gilgameshwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2010, 06:33 PM   #2
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

Better to ask this question......

Is the new engine a factory engine ? Factory engines have a reputation of lasting many miles.

A rebuilt engine is only as good as the rebuilder. That is, the parts they used and who/how they rebuilt it.

IMHO a 600 dollar rebuild is not a full rebuild. Machine shop costs alone would reach more then 600 for boring, decking, crank grinding, head and valve work etc.

The other factor is simply how much you want to invest in your Jeep. Only you can answer that.

Believe it or not I have close to $6,000 in my stroker engine. But then little of it is factory Jeep.

This will be an entertaining thread.
jsawduste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2010, 07:05 PM   #3
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilgameshwing View Post
I have a YJ 1992, 4 cyl. 5 shift and I'm pretty much rebuilding the car one part at a time. So far the parts I've replaced are pretty small (starter and water pump) and it's time for the old engine to be fixed.
I have two options as far as I know: to get an entirely new engine (approx. $1200) or to get the old, original one rebuilt (approx $600).
So here is my question to you guys: Which would last longer?

(P.S. Keep in mind I don't know much about cars, so dumb it down. I catch on quick, but I know only basic terms)
I don't know what labor rates are for you area. But parts are pretty much priced the same. There is no way you can even buy the parts to (properly) rebuild an engine with $600.00. Then there is the machine shop work and then the labor costs for removal and installation.

A $1200.00 rebuilt long block does not remove the old engine and install itself either. Then there is the costs associated with unknown conditions or the infamous 'might as wells'. You know 'you might as well' replace the alternator/radiator/starter/clutch& pressure plate or what ever else pops up or makes 'sense'.

My gut tells me that a $1200.00 long block will cost at least $2000.00minimum before you are finished since you are not doing most of the work.

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine , rebuild , replace

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.