Difficulty shifting & clunking when warm, any advice? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Difficulty shifting & clunking when warm, any advice?

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread Yesterday, 02:25 PM   #1
motorcycledude
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Difficulty shifting & clunking when warm, any advice?

Hey guys,

I have been searching and searching for a answer to this issue.

Just bought a 1990 4.2 AX-15 with 132K

The problem always seems to show up after driving 5-10 minuets. When Cold she shifts into all gear pretty normal (little more resistance than it should be but still drivable).
Once warmed up it starts acting up! I will be driving normal and try shifting into say 3rd when it will not go in gear with clutch depressed, will try 4th or 2nd, still won't go in gear, now I'm messing up traffic!I frantically Pump the clutch and hear a bang/clunk (from clutch) then try again and it often will go in gear.

Other times it will just grind like crazy only in 4th or 5th as If I didn't press clutch. I already bleed the clutch, peddles not floppy that part, no leaks visible from the master or slave.

I can replicate the bang/clunk sound when I come to a hard stop in neutral or if I open close the throttle in 1st or 2nd at higher rpms it makes the clunk sound as I rock back and forth.

All this when warmed up!! She drive fine cold, people test her cold and ask me ''whats wrong''. Something is very wrong!

While changing all fluids I found WATER in gearbox,transfer case and front dif, what a nightmare I know. Many oil changes later they are clean but maybe this is part of the damage.

Any advice? Pull the trans out? Clutch?
Thanks for the help
Ben

Unread Yesterday, 10:57 PM   #2
Drednot
1991 YJ Wrangler 

What lube did you put in transmission?
Drednot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 11:27 PM   #3
Gausswave
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Still sounds like a clutch problem. I'd try bleeding the clutch system again.
Gausswave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Today, 12:57 AM   #4
motorcycledude
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Issues

I have penzoil synchromesh in it now. I flushed it with 10w30 as half the guys on here run that in there ax15's and as bad as it already was It shifted awfully worse with that thin stuff in there!

I bled the clutch today and it is solid, no leaks, clutch works like it should when cold, once warmed up its terrible.
Unread Today, 06:26 AM   #5
UZI4U
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I initially had a heavier oil in mine and it didn't want to shift into 2nd. I ran a synthetic 10-30 blend for several months and then changed over to full synthetic 10-30. No more problems here. Try doing the same and use a quality oil instead of that Penzoil crap.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.