differential rebuild help? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > differential rebuild help?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 02-13-2012, 06:58 PM   #1
yoyoyo109
1995 YJ Wrangler 

differential rebuild help?

Hi everyone. so the other week the bolts on my ring gear sheared off and being in school at the moment, i went ahead and put it in the shop to have the gears replaced. well now, the place I'm using(never been there, only read reviews online) is giving me a suspicious feel so i wanted to know just how hard it was to disassemble a rear differential. any links to writeups would help, i didn't find any on my first search. how hard is it to rebuild these yourself?

i have arb air lockers with dana 35 4.11 gears

should i leave it in the shop and have them replace everything or should i take it out, park it in my driveway and fix everything myself

yoyoyo109 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2012, 07:15 PM   #2
dilligaf69
1998 ZJ 

get manuals and read, read, read, and read some more. It's not technically difficult as far as replacing the parts go. the pain of it is getting the back lash of the gears set right. If it's not right.... you run the risk of premature wear of the gears, damage to your lockers or even exploding the gears if put under enough load. No Joke! As an ex-mechanic, I never felt comfortable rebuilding differentials myself. I didn't like the idea of potentially destroying so much $$$$$ so easily. Don't get me wrong, if you study up enough on how to do it and feel comfortable... go for it!!! The more knowledge you have the better off you are.
Unread 02-13-2012, 07:17 PM   #3
dillonjm
30mm @ 70/sec

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Its not overly hard, but it does require some knowledge and special tools that I'm sure you probably don't have if you're asking this question (no offense intended).

I did my first differential re-gear on my current Jeep and did a lot of research first. A week or two, in fact, but I'm not the smartest egg.

Google up differential setup/regear. There is a lot of writeups with pictures out there.

IMHO, and I mean this with the nicest intent, that if you're asking these questions you're probably not ready to tackle this without some help. I'd either leave it with the shop you have it at and have it rebuilt or take it somewhere else.

Plan on labor running anywhere from 300-800 plus parts (2-500) depending on the shop and their markup.

11 Ram 2500 - 6.7 Cummins (DD/Tow Rig)

05 Liberty Limited (Wife's): Minor mods, OME/JBA Suspension, 245 70/17 Duratracs
dillonjm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2012, 07:17 PM   #4
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Setting up gears require a lot of research and the proper tools. I researched online, used threads on JF and instruction manuals from Yukon and watched youtube videos. I still didn't get the hang of it until I started getting my hands dirty but at least I knew what had to be done.

I'd say let a professional do it. Preferably one with 4x4 experience and setting up gears and lockers.

Edit: Those guys beat me to it ^

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2012, 07:23 PM   #5
yoyoyo109
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillonjm View Post
Its not overly hard, but it does require some knowledge and special tools that I'm sure you probably don't have if you're asking this question (no offense intended).

I did my first differential re-gear on my current Jeep and did a lot of research first.

Google up differential setup/regear. There is a lot of writeups with pictures out there.

IMHO, and I mean this with the nicest intent, that if you're asking these questions you're probably not ready to tackle this without some help. I'd either leave it with the shop you have it at and have it rebuilt or take it somewhere else.

Plan on labor running anywhere from 300-800 plus parts (2-500) depending on the shop and their markup.
no offense at all, that's the reason it was in the shop to begin with and why I asked
I'll just leave it there though and let them fix it. Someday I'm sure I'd be able to learn to rebuild them but being that this is my daily driver, I don't have the time to read up and then fix it
Thanks for the input everyone
yoyoyo109 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2012, 07:26 PM   #6
lar308

1990 YJ Wrangler 

What are they telling you? I have alot of experience in the area. Can you do it, yes, but. It does take tools and time. How did you shear the ring gear bolts? I'm planning on helping another member setting up his axles. What time frame are you looking at? You may want to consider a used axle as a interm fix. Let me know if I can help. Ron
lar308 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2012, 07:16 PM   #7
popatop541
1988 YJ Wrangler 

To do it right you need a case spreader so you can get your preload pressures on the bearings right! Also an inch pound torkwrench. getting the Bearing pressure and the spacing between the pinion and the ring gear is critical if you want it to hold up! A stock axle is not worth fixing there to light unless you are running a 4 cylinder! I strongly suggest you have someone experienced help who has done it and run it!
popatop541 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2012, 08:45 PM   #8
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by popatop541
To do it right you need a case spreader so you can get your preload pressures on the bearings right! Also an inch pound torkwrench. getting the Bearing pressure and the spacing between the pinion and the ring gear is critical if you want it to hold up! A stock axle is not worth fixing there to light unless you are running a 4 cylinder! I strongly suggest you have someone experienced help who has done it and run it!
I'm not saying this is the right way but after I got my backlash and pattern set I added .002" to each side of the carrier bearing shims and double checked my measurements. I used a rubber mallet to tap the carrier in. This allowed for preload on the carrier bearings. Just my own experience though.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-22-2012, 02:53 PM   #9
ldso
abidin'

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Also I believe you need a press to get the pinion bearings on. I counted up about $200 in tools I would need, if I bought the cheapest Harbor Freight and eBay stuff. I am still planning on paying to have mine done.

It sounds like you have your hands full with school so I would let them do it. If they screw it up you can make them make it right.

Actually, it's pronounced "mill-e-wah-que" which is Algonquin for "the good land."
ldso is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2012, 10:33 AM   #10
Flajeeper1
1987 YJ Wrangler 

dillonjm's cost figures should be about right.

"Plan on labor running anywhere from 300-800 plus parts (2-500) depending on the shop and their markup."

I would definitely use an axle shop to do the work. They do this all the time and you'd have the best chances of getting quality work.
Flajeeper1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2012, 10:50 AM   #11
lar308

1990 YJ Wrangler 

The case spreader is optional. The side bearing preload can be measured with an inch pound torque wrench. A hydraulic press is needed change the inner pinion bearing, carrier side bearings can be installed without a press. The following sheets will give you the numbers and order. These are from GM school. Ron

lar308 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2012, 02:51 PM   #12
remmons
Some assembly required.
2002 KJ Liberty 

My first gear install was on a '77 El Camino. It went o.k. but I did not have the right gear mesh pattern, but Iran with it anyway thinking that it won't hurt anything. Wrong. Within a week the diff carrier was all ate up from debris.

My second (and since then) install have all went well. I still won't take on a gear install lightly, it is one of the trickiest jobs on any rig. I had found that by using a spare set of carrier bearings of the same make that have been slightly reamed out so that they can slide on and off the carrier easier made the task go much smoother. I did not have a case spreader, but I did have a dead-blow hammer handy (and a ball peen hammer and a block of wood on stand-by) when I reinstalled the carrier, just be sure that you tap evenly on both sides, you don't want it to get cocked sideways or you run the chance of ruining a set of bearings. Patience is your best friend on a gear install.

I am by no means a professional. I know just enough to get myself into trouble.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/i...t-case-989208/
remmons is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
differential , rebuild

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.