Differences from year to year - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Differences from year to year

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 11-12-2001, 12:58 PM   #1
MeanMike

Differences from year to year

Ive been looking to buy a YJ and would like to know the differences between years..

like what year did Fuel injection start.. and other major changes

thanks in advance
Mike

MeanMike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2001, 02:29 PM   #2
Kev
Master of the Obvious

All has already been posted on this. I'd search or scan the past posts.

87-91 has the standard CJ type rollbar, 92-95 has the full roll bar for rear shoulder belts (great for the safari top to cover the back as well).

I think that 87-90 were TBI (throttle body injection) and 91-95 are fuel injected.

Also, I'd shy away from the earier years with the 87-89 or 90 because of crappy transmissions. Like somebody else posted once, you might as well go for the later years when most of the bugs have been worked out.

I'm likely missing something or wrong somewhere, but this info will give you an idea and the others will fill in the rest.

"We, too, born to freedom, and believing in freedom, are willing to fight to maintain freedom. We and all others who believe as deeply as we do, would rather die on our feet than live on our knees." FDR

Blue Jeep Club Member #4
92 Canyon Blue Wrangler YJ 4.0L - with some fun goodies
Kev is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2001, 08:19 PM   #3
Reibs

I have an 87.. as long as the previous owner(s) havn't abused it, I wouldn't worry about the tranny. They get a bad rap, but the price is usually right. just my opinion, you have to form your own ... depending on the amount of cash you want to spend. Try reading some books on Jeeps to see the pro's and con's. Good luck!
Unread 11-14-2001, 08:57 PM   #4
YJOHN

GO FOR A 91 AND UP THE CARBS ON THE OLDER YJS ARE CRAP CRAP CRAP
YJOHN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2001, 09:05 PM   #5
muddymark

I agree, I have a 90 with 4.2 carb, and it is a MESS. There's over 40 feet of vacuum lines under the hood! Go for the TBI or MPI Injected models. 91 and up, I think. i have no comment on the tranny, mine seems to be OK.
Looks Great, Runs Horrible!
muddymark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2001, 09:34 PM   #6
YJOHN

I HAVE A 90 WITH A CARB THAT I HAVE REPLCED TWICE NOW ONE CARB STALLED AROUND CORNERS AND THE OTHER DID NOT IDLE AND I HAVE LOOKED AT THE O2 SENCER AND EVEN TRIED TAKING THE ALTITUDE JUMPER WIRE OFF BECAUSE I LIVE PRETY HIGH UP I HAVE A 93 AND 94 THAT I HAVE NEVER HAD A PROBLEM WITH MY 90 HAS 150K MY 93 HAS 195KM 94 I 180KM
YJOHN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.