Difference between cj/yj headers? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Difference between cj/yj headers?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 09-21-2013, 10:44 AM   #1
Maine1994ZJ
1993 ZJ 

Difference between cj/yj headers?

The search function proved useless for my question... Again.
I also found nothing in the FAQs
Is there a difference between a header for a CJ w/258 & standard trans and a header for a YJ w/258 & standard trans?
I prefer to shop locally as much as possible and would rather use my normal local suppliers if at all possible.
Of the 2 suppliers I use most, neither can produce a YJ header for my application, but both can find a header for a similarly equipped CJ.
Will the CJ header work on my wife's YJ, or are they 2 different critters?

I'm sure someone here will have some insight for me.
Thanks in advance!!!

Unread 09-21-2013, 12:47 PM   #2
Reno72

1992 YJ Wrangler 

There was a thread about this, I don't remember all of it, but there was a difference between the headers. Here is one for an "87-91". It's not cheap, but I have it on my 4.0 and it made a noticeable difference.
http://www.quadratec.com/products/17601_03_07.htm

BTW When my YJ had trouble passing smog, the test facility said my Borla header had the 02 sensor reading only 3 cylinders. I called up Borla and they said the new ones fit after the collector and read all 6. They sent a new one out at N/C.
Reno72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2013, 12:55 PM   #3
roadyrob
1987 YJ Wrangler 

a cj is passenger side front axle, they yj is drivers side so the header is made different to clear.

the voices aren't real but they sure have good ideas.
roadyrob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2013, 02:12 PM   #4
c5wagner
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadyrob View Post
a cj is passenger side front axle, they yj is drivers side so the header is made different to clear.
x2
Big Red Money Pit: 1989 Base YJ, 4.2l, MC 2150, nv3550, nv241or with 4:1 low, 2003 Rubicon f D44 & r ford 8.8 with 4.10 gearing, Skyjacker 4" double military wrap springs, RC perf. 2.2 shocks, homebrew 1/2" lift boom shackles, 31x10.5r15 Treadwright Guard Dogs.
c5wagner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2013, 11:55 PM   #5
Maine1994ZJ
1993 ZJ 

Thanks for the clarification guys!!

The search is on!
Unread 09-22-2013, 07:55 AM   #6
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Also, some cj headers have deeper mounting flange bolt holes. Like over an inch deep.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.