Diff questions.. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Diff questions..

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 02-14-2014, 09:39 PM   #1
AmmitOsiris
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Diff questions..

Well hey guys, here is my question. My brother has a ford 9" in the back yard. And from backing plate to backing plate it measures about 57" and the YJ's iirc is 55" or so.. Would that be a problem if I decided to shoot for this axle over the 8.8..

I WANT WAFFLES..

AmmitOsiris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2014, 10:49 PM   #2
flipit
1993 YJ Wrangler 

If you are staying stock in the front I'd probably keep with the 8.8. I think the wider axle would make turning slightly more difficult, maybe not significantly, but could be. What's holding you back from the 8.8?

posted this from my phone
Project #1- http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/5-0-yj-right-way-1799609/
flipit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2014, 10:52 PM   #3
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I've got a full width 44 drivers drop in my shop that I'll let ya have for cheap if you go this route.

What's the bolt pattern?

Waiiiit a minute. Where is the free 4.10 axle you picked up from us?
Unread 02-15-2014, 08:36 AM   #4
AmmitOsiris
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipit
If you are staying stock in the front I'd probably keep with the 8.8. I think the wider axle would make turning slightly more difficult, maybe not significantly, but could be. What's holding you back from the 8.8? posted this from my phone
Well I have two axles in my back yard. A ford 9" that I'd build up while I run the 4.10 Dana 35 that I picked up from nick, and dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman
I've got a full width 44 drivers drop in my shop that I'll let ya have for cheap if you go this route. What's the bolt pattern? Waiiiit a minute. Where is the free 4.10 axle you picked up from us?
I wouldn't mind.. The bolt pattern is YJ bolt pattern since it's out of a car..

I got the axle. My mom just doesn't want me to drop my 4x4 in case I need it.. She is a worry wart

I WANT WAFFLES..
Unread 02-15-2014, 09:08 AM   #5
flipit
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmmitOsiris View Post

Well I have two axles in my back yard. A ford 9" that I'd build up while I run the 4.10 Dana 35 that I picked up from nick, and dan

My mom just doesn't want me to drop my 4x4 in case I need it.. She is a worry wart
Well since you have a good set up to run while you set up the better axles, and now you have eyes on a full set, I'd say do it. I'm no guru, but I like my 44 and nine combo.

As for the four by four, how long would you guess to be down?

Unread 02-15-2014, 09:09 AM   #6
Apollo12227
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

I run a ford 9" that is slightly wider in the rear. You can't tell unless you try. I'm happy with the setup. Havn't noticed any steering issues as mentioned before. I run 1" wheel spacers in the front to compensate.
Apollo12227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2014, 09:26 AM   #7
AmmitOsiris
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Well since you have a good set up to run while you set up the better axles, and now you have eyes on a full set, I'd say do it. I'm no guru, but I like my 44 and nine combo. As for the four by four, how long would you guess to be down? posted this from my phone
I have no clue.. And since this is my dd.. At the moment since my Chevy has broken locks, and the Honda is broke.. I rely on the jeep.. So at most itd have to be a weekend..

I WANT WAFFLES..
Unread 02-15-2014, 09:29 AM   #8
AmmitOsiris
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo12227
I run a ford 9" that is slightly wider in the rear. You can't tell unless you try. I'm happy with the setup. Havn't noticed any steering issues as mentioned before. I run 1" wheel spacers in the front to compensate.
Ahh I see.. I want to avoid running spacers... Though... I mean.. I'll be wide enough... Back tires will have no fender coverage..

That is if I go this route..

Still thinking though....

If a Dana 44 has the bigger 5 lug is it possible to change it to the smaller 5 lug?

I WANT WAFFLES..
Unread 02-15-2014, 09:49 AM   #9
flipit
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

I have no clue.. And since this is my dd.. At the moment since my Chevy has broken locks, and the Honda is broke.. I rely on the jeep.. So at most itd have to be a weekend..

I WANT WAFFLES..
Sorry, I meant, with the 4.10, You could spend a weekend dropping in the other thirty five, then once the pair is built, you could drop them in over a weekend, (I think I'd rather a little more time, but you know what I'm saying) but what I meant is how long can you ride on the four ten thirty five, against your moms wishes? How long can you spend on build up? Plus, you can always trust the tri delta transit...they keep their wrecks minimal. And usually only on odd years.

And I think it's a lot easier to go up in bolt pattern than to go down in this case. There's some forums about doing it, and I'd say go up, but check then out if you really want to go down

Unread 02-15-2014, 10:25 AM   #10
AmmitOsiris
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Sorry, I meant, with the 4.10, You could spend a weekend dropping in the other thirty five, then once the pair is built, you could drop them in over a weekend, (I think I'd rather a little more time, but you know what I'm saying) but what I meant is how long can you ride on the four ten thirty five, against your moms wishes? How long can you spend on build up? Plus, you can always trust the tri delta transit...they keep their wrecks minimal. And usually only on odd years. And I think it's a lot easier to go up in bolt pattern than to go down in this case. There's some forums about doing it, and I'd say go up, but check then out if you really want to go down posted this from my phone
.... I want to go down because I have new wheels and tires with the small bolt pattern.. Lol..

True tri delta.. But I can't stand all the ghettos on it going to Pittsburg in the morn... And hopefully I can swap it out with out her knowing..who knows....

I WANT WAFFLES..
Unread 02-15-2014, 10:53 AM   #11
flipit
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
.... I want to go down because I have new wheels and tires with the small bolt pattern.. Lol..

True tri delta.. But I can't stand all the ghettos on it going to Pittsburg in the morn... And hopefully I can swap it out with out her knowing..who knows....

I WANT WAFFLES..
That's rough! see if you can get some pictures of the 44 nick has to see what parts might be changed.

Well hopefully you wouldn't have to use the transit, I just meant as a last stitch kind of thing. the frost swoop I'm assuming would just be to drop one and put in the other yeah? I think with friendly bolts you could do that in a day, so if she's going to be gone for a day sometime soon your good, just blast the bolts and soak em for a couple days and then as soon as she is gone rush it. But if the nine inch doesn't need too much I would skip that and just throw in the nine. A day to bolt it in, then measure the brakes and shocks, and get those in. That's where I'm questioning though, how can you get the brakes and shocks in the same weekend? Haha, you could install it, measure, then day two put the thirty five back in, then build it and order the stuff, and once it's all in swap it? Might be your best bet.

Unread 02-15-2014, 11:11 AM   #12
AmmitOsiris
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
That's rough! see if you can get some pictures of the 44 nick has to see what parts might be changed. Well hopefully you wouldn't have to use the transit, I just meant as a last stitch kind of thing. the frost swoop I'm assuming would just be to drop one and put in the other yeah? I think with friendly bolts you could do that in a day, so if she's going to be gone for a day sometime soon your good, just blast the bolts and soak em for a couple days and then as soon as she is gone rush it. But if the nine inch doesn't need too much I would skip that and just throw in the nine. A day to bolt it in, then measure the brakes and shocks, and get those in. That's where I'm questioning though, how can you get the brakes and shocks in the same weekend? Haha, you could install it, measure, then day two put the thirty five back in, then build it and order the stuff, and once it's all in swap it? Might be your best bet. posted this from my phone
Yeah.. That is a good idea.. Hmm when to do it.. Just gotta figure it out.. Because out boats are in the side yard and limit my ability to get things out... Hmmm. I wonder how much that rear end needs...

I WANT WAFFLES..

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.