Diff hot after spider replacement - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Diff hot after spider replacement

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 04-12-2007, 07:49 AM   #1
Richmond88yj
Eat, Sleep, Jeep

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Diff hot after spider replacement

Replaced chewed up spiders, now have a gurgle/vibe noise coming from the dif, (only when carried spinning)and It's hot after a 20-30 min drive.
I broke 4 teeth off the left spider/axle gear.

I pulled used spiders and left spider/axle gear froma 35 at the boneyard. My right spider/axle gear was ok so I left it in. I used the new to me center spiders because they were in better shape than my old ones. All works fine, but it is noisy and is getting hot on the diff cover. Not hot enough so you can't touch it, but warmer than I think it should be.

So last night took it all apart again to ensure I had the carrier in straight and flush. It's good. But had a mark on the diff cover where the ring gear seems to be making contact, not much but the mark is definately there. Also had a good amount of the "glitter" flakes come out with the fluid.

So I cleaned it all out again and put it all back together. Same thing.... Any ideas? I'm using black RTV form a gasket with seems soupier than the other RTV gasket stuff. I let it set up for about an hour before I put the cover on, but it's still soupy. Is the clearance that tight? My carrier is bolted up as snug as it gets.

Richmond88yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2007, 09:35 AM   #2
Jeepwheeler2

If the ring gear is contacting the diff cover then either the cover is dented, or the carrier is not installed properly.
Unread 04-12-2007, 09:52 AM   #3
Richmond88yj
Eat, Sleep, Jeep

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks, yeah, after reading through Randy's Ring and Pinion faq's it looks like it's bearings, not the ring gear, must have been an old scratch.

I guess I've got some dirt/crap on them when I did the spiders.

Time to pull it all out again tonight and clean it good, then try again...
Richmond88yj is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.