diff cover or guard - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > diff cover or guard

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 04-04-2013, 04:31 AM   #1
jhrebs
1987 YJ Wrangler 

diff cover or guard

I have an 87 YJ 4 cylinder 5 speed. After reading I am assuming I have a dana 30 in the front and a 35 in the rear. I have not confirmed this yet. I am looking to upgrade by differential covers. I was off roading this past weekend. It was pretty intense, more then I have been before. I banged up my front diff real bad. SO wondering should I look into getting a beafy cover like an ARB or do I leave the stock cover and get a guard of some sort?

Unread 04-04-2013, 06:39 AM   #2
StanF
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I just purchased "Solid" brand covers for my YJ. Very good value and highly recommended:

http://www.solidaxle.com/productcart...p?idCategory=7

I wouldn't mess with a guard, as the guards are more expensive than these covers. Solid also includes RTV and new screws. Shipping added $10 each to mine, so you are looking at about $75 total per axle.

The only tricky thing was the drain plug - it's about 9/16" hex. I used a 3/8-16 bolt with two washers tightened together to make a tool to tighten the drain plug. It's a PITA in the rear, because the gas tank is in the way...
Unread 04-04-2013, 01:51 PM   #3
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Jeremy,

The front differential usually benefits more from a guard for a couple different reasons. The first, at least for my usage, is that it will help you slide up and over the rocks instead of smashing into them. The second is that it protrudes a lot further out so that taller objects get hit by the guard and hopefully don't bend up your steering. The solid covers are amazing but I don't see any advantage of them over using a cage style guard. The rear could use something like the solid cover because they're strong and cheap.

On the topic of the front, another reason that doesn't affect you is my steering is bigger than most and anything bigger than stock doesn't fit.
Unread 04-04-2013, 02:03 PM   #4
kjg26
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Anti which guard do you run up front?
Unread 04-04-2013, 02:08 PM   #5
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I run the 4wd hardware diff protector. I bought it when it was $50 and now its over $80. Still cheaper than most full diff covers and you don't have to drain the fluid to install it.

Notice the rust on the verticals? Yeah. Its been hit a few times. Works just like rock sliders.
Unread 04-04-2013, 02:34 PM   #6
YJames90
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Solid D30 cover and Riddler 8.8 cover. The Riddler is flush mount and BEEFY!!! Never had a problem with the solid except it loosening up from rock bashing. Also, replace the allen key bolts with hex heads it you ever want to be able to remove it. The allens get crushed closed

My 2.5 to 4.3 swap thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/4...begun-1237704/
YJames90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2013, 02:47 PM   #7
flea1987
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
I run the 4wd hardware diff protector. I bought it when it was $50 and now its over $80. Still cheaper than most full diff covers and you don't have to drain the fluid to install it.

Notice the rust on the verticals? Yeah. Its been hit a few times. Works just like rock sliders.
That's a great idea!
flea1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2013, 02:49 PM   #8
Carlos14
Afraid of the Dark

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Just another option to the pot, I run the Poison Spyder Bombshell Diff Cover. It is ridiculously solid weighing nearly 12 lbs. it will take a hit and keep going for sure.

Came with all hardware and RTV as well.

Quote:
I think you're skewing the facts. Clarity is relative. Our job is to lead people to the kingdom of heaven, not make them think they're looking at it. :D
Poison Spyder Hood Louver Install
Carlos14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2013, 03:45 PM   #9
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YJames90 View Post
Solid D30 cover and Riddler 8.8 cover. The Riddler is flush mount and BEEFY!!! Never had a problem with the solid except it loosening up from rock bashing. Also, replace the allen key bolts with hex heads it you ever want to be able to remove it. The allens get crushed closed
My experience with the hex heads is that I wasn't able to get even a thin walled socket on them but had to install and uninstall with an open end wrench one sixth of a turn at a time. That was with the solid rear cover.
Unread 04-04-2013, 04:23 PM   #10
jhrebs
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks guys. Seems to make sense, anti. Plus the guards are like half the price
Unread 04-04-2013, 04:34 PM   #11
YJames90
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
My experience with the hex heads is that I wasn't able to get even a thin walled socket on them but had to install and uninstall with an open end wrench one sixth of a turn at a time. That was with the solid rear cover.
Its a crap shoot. Either you are going to crush the insides of the allens or the outside of the hexes.
What about torx??

My 2.5 to 4.3 swap thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/4...begun-1237704/
YJames90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2013, 04:39 PM   #12
Drpinkydo
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman

I had the same problem with my riddler cover. I swapped the hex head bolts for grade 8 buttonhead Allen bolts. They are not going to get crushed shut and if by chance they do, all cut a slot and use a screw driver. I replaced the bolts on my 8.8 solid cover with the same bolts and I leave the hex head socket in my glove box for convenience. I recommend either cover as they are both low profile, strong and should clear most tie rods.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Drpinkydo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2013, 04:50 PM   #13
flea1987
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhrebs View Post
I have an 87 YJ 4 cylinder 5 speed. After reading I am assuming I have a dana 30 in the front and a 35 in the rear. I have not confirmed this yet. I am looking to upgrade by differential covers. I was off roading this past weekend. It was pretty intense, more then I have been before. I banged up my front diff real bad. SO wondering should I look into getting a beafy cover like an ARB or do I leave the stock cover and get a guard of some sort?
What says you can't do both?
flea1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2013, 05:07 PM   #14
zte87
2.5 POWER!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I run riddler covers with lube lockers gaskets and love them. Set me back 230 for both the 30/8.8 cover and gaskets, I would do it again in a heart beat I much prefer covers over guards. You more than likely need to change out the gear oil any ways and this is a good time to do it IMO!

Sent from my iPad using JeepForum
image-2207667746.jpg   image-794051614.jpg  
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...build-1272253/

94 jeep zj bb lift, 31-10.50-15 toyo at2s, magnaflow exhaust!
zte87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2013, 05:12 PM   #15
The_Blacksmith
1993 XJ Cherokee 

I've got a SOLID front and rockcrusher rear (same thing)

Paint them before you instal them. When I bought it it was painted so gorgeous, I thought It might be powdercoat, after 1 winter it was rusty and ugly, paint the plug too.

Solid is cheap but beefy

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/building-recovery-bumpers-pics-1184330/
The_Blacksmith is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.