Diesel Conversion? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Diesel Conversion?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 03-29-2010, 04:40 PM   #1
BEHR2010
2002 WJ 

Diesel Conversion?

Well now that I got a little lift on my Yj and some 32 11.50s I've notcied my gas milage went down which i sno surprise. However my YJ has a 165,xxx miles , I don't imagine it having much more life " I Drive it like it's Stolen" so I was looking at some of the diesel conversions and I think I may wan't to go this route. How much do the diffrent swaps cost like the 4bt or the mercedes diesel. Also what kinda of power do you guys have compared to the jeeps stock engine.

Unread 03-29-2010, 06:18 PM   #2
Station3
1995 YJ Wrangler 

While it is not Jeep specific, www.4btswaps.com has some awesome info on the cummins swap into multiple applications, I am slowly gathering my parts and information, and have learned alot from this site.
Station3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-29-2010, 06:54 PM   #3
Barrio
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Try cheaking your tire pressures, doing a full tune up ect.

A lifted vehical gets bad gas milage off the bat, throw in over sized tires and you said your self you beat on it. Try driving at a steady speed using as little pettle as you can, utilize netural as much as possible. Before jumping into a project like trowing in a diesel you have to think about the big picture. Sure you will have an *** load of tourqe, but you will have to go with better axles, tranny and figure out how to run a stack(s) out of it. To me its just not functional but non the less badass.

If I were you, do a full tune up, cheak tires and dont drive like a idiot. Think about a possible re-gear of the axles, stuff like that. Your driving a brick, your not going to get great gas milage.
-Rio Red 1995 Ford Mustang- Daily Driver
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfmoney
i see theres a bunch of toughguys on this forum or internet gangstas
Barrio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2010, 09:34 AM   #4
BEHR2010
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrio View Post
Try cheaking your tire pressures, doing a full tune up ect.

A lifted vehical gets bad gas milage off the bat, throw in over sized tires and you said your self you beat on it. Try driving at a steady speed using as little pettle as you can, utilize netural as much as possible. Before jumping into a project like trowing in a diesel you have to think about the big picture. Sure you will have an *** load of tourqe, but you will have to go with better axles, tranny and figure out how to run a stack(s) out of it. To me its just not functional but non the less badass.

If I were you, do a full tune up, cheak tires and dont drive like a idiot. Think about a possible re-gear of the axles, stuff like that. Your driving a brick, your not going to get great gas milage.

Right I new the gas milage was going to suck well it's not to bad abt 15 at 65 but I know a 165,000 mile shas got to be getting up there. And I got a new tune up 4.11 gears, air intake, and a throttle body spacer "waste of money", so I don't think can get much more power out of it without doing a v-8 swap or a strokeer but "the high octane fuel and low gas mileage would still suck and for the three grand a stroker cost plus what my mechanic will take to put it in I'm just trying to get a price on the diesel thing. Plus a jeep that blows smoke thats cool lol
Unread 03-30-2010, 09:39 AM   #5
youngYJ95
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Diesels are cool but the 4bt swap probably costs around 10 grand. 1st you gotta buy the engine (eBay has them around 3 grand I believe), then the engine mounts, upgrading your axles, drive train, fuel lines, and you probably will have to do a lot of testing with turbos to get the right setup, tuning the fuel pump, all that work costs a lot of money and time.
Unread 03-30-2010, 09:47 AM   #6
BEHR2010
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngYJ95 View Post
Diesels are cool but the 4bt swap probably costs around 10 grand. 1st you gotta buy the engine (eBay has them around 3 grand I believe), then the engine mounts, upgrading your axles, drive train, fuel lines, and you probably will have to do a lot of testing with turbos to get the right setup, tuning the fuel pump, all that work costs a lot of money and time.
Well from what I've gathered the mercedes diesel is quite a bit cheaper. Thats probably the route i was gonna go. Although I havn't looked up the performance specs I imagine the older engines are mechanically injected so I sould either turn up the fuel or injector pump for more power. Dyno tune it to get it just right so it doesnt just pour smoke lol
Unread 03-30-2010, 09:55 AM   #7
youngYJ95
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Well if you decide to go that route then definitely check out this thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/3...994-yj-835449/
Its exremely detailed and uses the 5 cylinder mercedes TD
Unread 03-30-2010, 10:34 AM   #8
86YJSEANVA
1986 YJ Wrangler 

you could always go back to regular gas would bring cost down and doesnt hurt to much with the mpg. also your jeep doesnt blow smoke already? i thought that was a standard feature. and 15 sounds actualy high for a lift and bigger tires/ i only get about 13.
Unread 03-30-2010, 10:58 AM   #9
BEHR2010
2002 WJ 

well it smokes a little if it idles for a long time lol well apparentley the mercedes diesel doesnt have as much power as a stock 4.0. But if I'm correct I bet theres a way to increase to fuel curve. However if I'm wrong than screw that . I'll look into another diesel.
Unread 03-30-2010, 11:59 AM   #10
Barrio
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEHR2010 View Post
Right I new the gas milage was going to suck well it's not to bad abt 15 at 65 but I know a 165,000 mile shas got to be getting up there. And I got a new tune up 4.11 gears, air intake, and a throttle body spacer "waste of money", so I don't think can get much more power out of it without doing a v-8 swap or a strokeer but "the high octane fuel and low gas mileage would still suck and for the three grand a stroker cost plus what my mechanic will take to put it in I'm just trying to get a price on the diesel thing. Plus a jeep that blows smoke thats cool lol
My 4 chugger gets 9, so dont feel so bad.
Quote:
Unread 03-30-2010, 12:26 PM   #11
SkullTripper
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I say you need to stick to your i4.0 I don't think your really ready for the comitment of a diesel swap to be hoenest (no affence) its alot of work... even a v8 swap is a decent amount of work I think you should look into a flashpaq superchip I heard they work wonders maybe a 4.7 stroker or something or 4.3 vortec (i think thats it) maybe I'm wrong but I'm just trying to help... ask yourself this

1.Is this your DD, Do you have something to drive in the mean time?
2.What kind of budget do you have and what are you looking to spend?
3.What are you really looking to get from the swap?

[COLOR="Lime"][B]My 1987 Jeep Wrangler Build..[/B][/COLOR]
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/z-o-r-v-87yj-build-slow-978747/[/url]
SkullTripper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2010, 01:38 PM   #12
Barrio
1992 YJ Wrangler 

throw in a 350.
Quote:
Unread 03-30-2010, 02:08 PM   #13
BEHR2010
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkullTripper View Post
I say you need to stick to your i4.0 I don't think your really ready for the comitment of a diesel swap to be hoenest (no affence) its alot of work... even a v8 swap is a decent amount of work I think you should look into a flashpaq superchip I heard they work wonders maybe a 4.7 stroker or something or 4.3 vortec (i think thats it) maybe I'm wrong but I'm just trying to help... ask yourself this

1.Is this your DD, Do you have something to drive in the mean time?
2.What kind of budget do you have and what are you looking to spend?
3.What are you really looking to get from the swap?
Well good point but I'm going out today to but a newer truck, so the jeep will definatley be under a build and the most I will through at it is probably 8K so the cummins is out of the question. The only reason I want a diesel is 300miles on a 15 gallon tank sounds preetey sweet. But I'm not set on anything yet I'm going to be doing research over v8s and strokers and the diesel thing over the next few months.
Unread 03-30-2010, 02:42 PM   #14
SkullTripper
1987 YJ Wrangler 

The 300sd has less power then the i4.0 but better gas milage... so If you can handle more power then a 4cyl and less then a 6cyl that might be a good options for you and you can buy a whole car for around $500-$2500 depends on your state

[COLOR="Lime"][B]My 1987 Jeep Wrangler Build..[/B][/COLOR]
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/z-o-r-v-87yj-build-slow-978747/[/url]
SkullTripper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2010, 04:00 PM   #15
BEHR2010
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkullTripper View Post
The 300sd has less power then the i4.0 but better gas milage... so If you can handle more power then a 4cyl and less then a 6cyl that might be a good options for you and you can buy a whole car for around $500-$2500 depends on your state
Yes but like I said I bet theres a way to make it use more fuel = more power. I could be wrong though lol I'm sure sooner or later someone will let us know.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.