Died while going down the road... - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Died while going down the road...

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBaseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiSpartan Locker Special Forum Prices Dana 30 44 60 Ford 8.8

Unread 11-03-2010, 07:22 AM   #16
jhumphrey
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks Mark. Where are the two fuses located? Also, I was told that within the last year they had replaced the ignition switch, alternator, and starter. With that being said, obviously, whoever they had do the work was shoddy. I say that because if it was replaced in the last year or two, the starter is bad (according to AZ), which means they prob used a used part to replace it with and charged them for a "new" one. I do know that the alternator is a refurb, it clearly says it on the alternator. I think the battery could be the culprit as well, do to the fact that it wouldn't spark the ends of the jumper cables when I did. But, if that were the case, would there still be enough juice to light up the dashlights, headlights, and taillights?

I dont have a garage and its raining today, so I wont be able to really mess with it, unless it stops soon and I can get to it after work.

jhumphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2010, 04:02 PM   #17
360yj1989
1989 YJ Wrangler 

In my experience with my own jeep i've found occasionally you will have more than one small problem that together creates a big problem. I had a similar issue with mine. it would crank but out of nowhere it would sputter and die. Messed with it for months before figuring out that it was a clogged fuel filter. I had already changed the filter but later discovered a second one that you could only get to with the gas tank dropped.
360yj1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2010, 05:22 PM   #18
Brumble83
1992 YJ Wrangler 

It sounds like you got moisture in your distributor cap when degreasing your engine. That's why it spit, sputtered and bogged out. Remove your cap and dry it out.

But, I don't know why it won't turnover.
Brumble83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2010, 04:22 AM   #19
jhumphrey
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Since it could have been anything under the sun, I took it to a local jeep mechanic for an inspection / repair. I simply don't know enough about what all it could be to figure it out.

Since I have technically not purchased it, the owner is footing the bill. However, I did find a 98 TJ for sale at a good price as well. I know that one has been really taken care of and am leaning toward getting it....
Unread 11-09-2010, 01:48 PM   #20
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

#1 No crank sensor on a 4.2
#2 Starter very well could be bad, because it dies frequently and is seen way more than typical use.
#3 Dies, because of a) clogged venturi tubes in crap carter carb or b) Ignition Control Module is going out.

That's my
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2010, 07:03 PM   #21
srwilson8074
1988 YJ Wrangler 

If the truck ran fine up until you washed it, I would check for moisture under the cap, electrical ignition drying spray would help.
Unread 11-09-2010, 07:04 PM   #22
srwilson8074
1988 YJ Wrangler 

If the truck ran fine up until you washed it, I would check for moisture under the cap, electrical ignition drying spray would help. The starter and the Alternator could also contibute to this problem.
Unread 11-10-2010, 07:06 AM   #23
jhumphrey
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I got a call from the mechanic today. Apparently, there was some exposed wiring that touched some fuses, causing overheating, thus melting the fuses. He's going to have to re-wire to fix it. Im going to talk with him today more in depth about what he's rewiring....

Tags
ignition , stall , starter

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.