Died at stop light... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Died at stop light...

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 08-23-2005, 06:28 PM   #1
whitetower

Died at stop light...

Died, didn't sputter or give any other indication that it was gonna stop. Tried to start it up again thinking it just stalled... but it never has before. It just turned over like the ignition wasn't firing, it was and to be sure it was enough I replaced the ignition coil. Same results, engined turned over... and over.... and over.... you get the picture. Checked to be sure the connections were all there, wires were all there and the double checked the distributer cap.

So. It's in a parking lot of a gas station stripped to the bone, all I left in it was the back carpet.

Any thoughts as to what might be the problem? Or even questions of clarification?

Jason

Unread 08-23-2005, 06:55 PM   #2
RB_

getting spark .....is it getting gas?
[URL=http://hometown.aol.com/jdandrb/index.html ]pics of the monster here[/URL]
[COLOR=Red]"Ugly Jeep Rescue League" Member #1[/COLOR]
RB_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2005, 06:57 PM   #3
xxxflhrci

Your ignition module has gone bad. It is a unit about the size of an 8 track mounted to the inside of the left front fender just under the coolant bottle. They are about 40 bucks at most autoparts stores. It takes about 5 minutes to replace.
xxxflhrci is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2005, 06:59 PM   #4
danielj903

Can you hear your fuel pump when you first turn the key on? Another thing, the ignition and fuel pump relays on my 94 are the same as the horn and abs relays, swap them.
danielj903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2005, 07:17 PM   #5
JJorda
Jeep. Jeep? Jeep! Jeep.

1989 YJ Wrangler 

If it's a 6-cyl, there's no fuel pump relay, nothing to hear. Mechanical fuel pump. I'd agree with the ignition module, though.
1989 Jeep Wrangler - Daily Driver and project - Red Jeep Club #216, NRA Jeep Club #5
1967 Chevelle SS396 - Main Project <--454, TH400, 4.10's, FAST
1982 Caprice Classic - Another project <-- 350/700R4, 4 wheel discs
1979 Honda Civic CVCC - Yet another project <--goal of 60 mpg
JJorda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2005, 07:28 PM   #6
TellyDSP
Poland and PPV!!!!
1995 YJ Wrangler 

My favorite answer...the fuel filter. Cheap place to start. Do you know if you're getting spark? Fuel?

SIRA4x4 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples
n00bs bashing n00bs, it's a pitifull thing.
TellyDSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2005, 09:42 PM   #7
standnstillfast

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxflhrci
Your ignition module has gone bad. It is a unit about the size of an 8 track mounted to the inside of the left front fender just under the coolant bottle. They are about 40 bucks at most autoparts stores. It takes about 5 minutes to replace.
Triple X hit it right on the nose there. Sounds like the exact problem I had a year ago. I vote ignition module.
1989 YJ, 3.5 BDS lift, 2" BL, BDS steering stabilizer, 5/8 MORE shackles, CRT HEI, 35 x 12.5 BFG A/Ts , soft 8's, IPF H4 headlights, Weber K551, dynomax exhaust. Herculined tub, neoprene seat covers, white gauges, JBL speakers, overhead console, and much more
standnstillfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2005, 08:58 AM   #8
whitetower

Thanks for the replys. I'll be looking into an ignition module.

meant to mention this earlier but it's a 4 cyl.

I am getting spark, but I am not sure if I'm getting fuel, I'll double check that once I get back to gas station parking lot.

Jason
Unread 08-28-2005, 10:11 AM   #9
whitetower

Hm... I changed the ignition control module, ignition coil, fuel filter and fuel pump and it still wont start.

On a 4cyl how would I go about checking to see if it's getting fuel?

Are there other things it could be?

Jason
Unread 08-28-2005, 08:02 PM   #10
standnstillfast

I'm not positive about the 4 cyl. but if it's the same as the I6 just take off your air cleaner and as you hit the throttle on the carb. look down the carb and you should actually be able to see the fuel enter the carb in a mist. Also if I were you I'd check the timing because when I first bought my jeep the timing was loose so when i hit a hard bump the timing was thrown way off and the jeep kicked out on me and i couldn't figure out what it was until I checked my timing once again. Good luck with it, keep us posted.
1989 YJ, 3.5 BDS lift, 2" BL, BDS steering stabilizer, 5/8 MORE shackles, CRT HEI, 35 x 12.5 BFG A/Ts , soft 8's, IPF H4 headlights, Weber K551, dynomax exhaust. Herculined tub, neoprene seat covers, white gauges, JBL speakers, overhead console, and much more
standnstillfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2005, 08:12 PM   #11
JPH
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Dump a little bit of gas down the carb throat; if it tries to start you have a fuel problem. Quickest way since you are not at home.
Unread 08-29-2005, 02:02 AM   #12
xxxflhrci

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesHastings
Dump a little bit of gas down the carb throat; if it tries to start you have a fuel problem. Quickest way since you are not at home.
It ain't got no carb...........
xxxflhrci is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2005, 03:17 AM   #13
RB_

disconnect fuel line where ever it connects to the system at the motor(i dont have a book infront of me to know where it is on a 4 cylin) put end of line into a jug of some sort turn the key to the on postion for a couple seconds....if you are getting fuel it will be in the jug.......
[URL=http://hometown.aol.com/jdandrb/index.html ]pics of the monster here[/URL]
[COLOR=Red]"Ugly Jeep Rescue League" Member #1[/COLOR]
RB_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2005, 10:54 AM   #14
whitetower

All right, I disconnected the fuel supply line and it's dry, no fuel. I have changed the fuel pump so are we looking at something electrical and if so, what could it be?

I know all the connecters are in place on the pump, and the plug is fastened securely.

My wife helped me tow it home so I have a bit more freedom while working on it.

Thanks for the advice so far. I'm learning a lot.

Jason
Unread 08-29-2005, 11:08 AM   #15
pwoens
1994 YJ Wrangler 

dumb suggestion.....but you have checked all the fuses, right??

Next would be fuel filter.

Can you hear the fuel pump at all? If not, check the voltage at the fuel pump plug. No voltage means electrical issue and that could be anything from a short in a wire to the computer. But check fuses first, then fuel filter, then voltage at pump maybe??

Im no mechanic but that's what I would do

94 YJ 4.0L, BDS 4 1/2", 1" BL, 33 x 12.50, SYE & Tom Woods drive shaft, 8.8 w/lsd, Aussie Locker front, T & T Phantom tube fenders, Warn rock sliders custom cut, TJ rear flares and Fuel filler, Warn M8000, Custom front & rear bumpers w/swing out, bad apple diff guards, Dual 1400 amp Kinetic Energy batteries, HO alternator, 2 guage comp wires, VIAIR 450c, WRX seats, and way too much more to list. No end in sight!!
pwoens is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.