Died on me today, any ideas? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Died on me today, any ideas?

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 11-25-2013, 05:32 PM   #1
cstealy
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Died on me today, any ideas?

Hey guys, I just bought a 95 YJ yesterday and after getting used to stick again took it to the lot down the road from my house that is used for dirtbikes to try taking it offroad. Everything was fine on the terrain and hills and this puddle there about 2" deep. I drove through it several times and kept going, on the last one though it stalled and refused to start again.

The air filter seemed dry, as did the throttle body after I took the intake off. The distributor was a little dirty inside, but no water was in there. We shot some engine starter in the intake but that didn't help. None of the fuses are blown. I left it locked up in the lot with a note incase it needs towed to a shop but figured I would hop on here and ask if anyone had other ideas.

I'm going to go back a little later and try and start it and again tomorrow before I actually get it towed- see if something just needs time to dry.

Thanks for any help

cstealy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2013, 08:44 PM   #2
jokerchief462
Wild Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

No spark something is wet in the ignition circuit. Could have water in a connection like COS located 10 o'clock on the bell housing. Tons of connectors on the engine and the coil. Dizzy cap could have cracked from cold water. Need to tow it home and start looking.

Sent from underneath my Jeep

AF Jeep Club Tail #184
jokerchief462 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2013, 09:30 PM   #3
brzehentmaier

1995 YJ Wrangler 

[quoteNeed to tow it home and start looking.][/quote]

x 2^^^ .At home you will have the time to really let it dry out and track down the problem.

Bernie
2.5 - Auto - Crager "D" Slots
A Work In Progress

2004 Liberty Columbia Pkg.
A new begining
brzehentmaier is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-26-2013, 06:52 PM   #4
cstealy
1995 YJ Wrangler 

so i took it to a shop today thinking it was electrical and it was. Would up frying the computer with water and mud.

In addition to that the mechanic said my front end ball joints need replaced as well as my O2 sensor.

My question to all of you who have had jeeps for a while and worked on them, how easy is it to replace these parts? I'm sure buying online will be cheaper than shop prices, but what kind of equipment will I need and are they decently easy to replace or should I just have the shop do it? Or what is the price ceiling I should put on it to have them repair vs. doing it myself. I can find upper and lower ball joints for 17-25$ each and an o2 sensor for about the same price.

thanks in advance for any help
Unread 11-26-2013, 07:01 PM   #5
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

They immediately say ball joints as soon as a yj pulls into a shop. Was it Firestone?

I have never had to change ball joints so I cannot help on the tools or anything for you

The 02 sensor is super easy
Unread 11-26-2013, 07:12 PM   #6
cstealy
1995 YJ Wrangler 

K no it was not firestone, it was Silverdale Autoworks, they seem fairly legit, but I know how autoshops work. From a buddy of mine with a cherokee he says have they do the joints because sometimes they need special presses. I am not too car savvy but with a Haynes manual I'm pretty decent.
Unread 11-26-2013, 10:18 PM   #7
95yj0645
1995 YJ Wrangler 

If you aren't too car savvy then let a shop do ball joints, because after the first set you do you wont want to ever pick up a wrench again lol unless you know the tricks.
If you think they are jackin' you around get a second opinion. Ball joints pay good shop labor and are relatively inexpensive parts so that's why a shop will push that sale. Because Im sure you just paid $400+ for that computer...
95yj0645 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2013, 07:55 PM   #8
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

You didn't fry the computer. You need to clean all the connectors including the computers and put dielectric grease in all the connectors. Look up how to check your fault codes by cycling the key and see what codes you have.
Que89YJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2013, 08:12 PM   #9
Raindem
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ View Post
You didn't fry the computer. You need to clean all the connectors including the computers and put dielectric grease in all the connectors. Look up how to check your fault codes by cycling the key and see what codes you have.
Second that. I have a hard time believing 2 inches of water is going to do all that damage.
Unread 11-27-2013, 09:12 PM   #10
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raindem
Second that. I have a hard time believing 2 inches of water is going to do all that damage.
X3 I splashed through this a few times before I got high centered on a submerged rock. No issues with my jeep other then no drain plugs and getting 4" of muddy water on the inside

I've also done some stream crossings in the Yj where water was upto the parking lights on some local ohv trails. Which submerged the ICM with no issues.
image-212832578.jpg

Unread 12-01-2013, 08:21 PM   #11
cstealy
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thank you all for the input. Without a 2nd car I wound up just having a company rebuild the computer, whether or not it was broken or my fault I need it running, then I'm taking it to a local 4x4/jeep store to ask about the balljoints and see how much they want to fix them.

So a couple things I'm thinking about doing to it other than o2 sensor and ball joints, are add a winch and air compressor. eventually when I need new tires I'd like to throw a couple inches of suspension lift and up the tires to 33 or 35". is there some sort of splash guard to keep water from spraying up under the hood? Or should I just build a box around the control module and air intake?
Unread 12-01-2013, 09:08 PM   #12
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

You still need to dielectric the connectors. It is a must for any jeep that you plan on putting into water.
Que89YJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2013, 09:49 PM   #13
SeanB95YJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

you shouldn't have to worry about any spray/splash under the hood area (other than possible issues with the distributor or air intake)

From my understanding (Que, please correct me if I got wrong info) the YJ (and possibly all Jeep?) computers are "potted", meaning that once all the circutry is put together, it's basically dipped in some sort of rubber/plastic type resin to completely encase the electronics.... they can basically run just fine fully submerged. your only weak link being the connections as Que said - Dielectric grease goes a long way to protect here.

Good luck
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Blue"]Sean B. - Schenectady, NY - 95 YJ, 350/700r4/NP241, JB Shorty SYE, 8.8 rear, 2" BDS, 1" homebrew shackles, Daystar 1" BL, TJ flares, 35x12.50 General Grabber AT2 on 15x10 Bart D-Truckers, Polyshield polycarbonate windshield, HD over/under crossover steering
[/COLOR] [COLOR="Red"]swap/build thread: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/after-almost-4-years-finally-my-own-build-swap-thread-1542284/[/url][/COLOR][/FONT]
SeanB95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2013, 11:48 PM   #14
cstealy
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Awesome thank you guys, I'll make sure it gets dialectric grease.
Unread 12-02-2013, 06:24 AM   #15
WDNewman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

No way you needed a computer. Unless the vehicle was going wobbly all over the road you probably didn't need ball joints either. You need to educate yourself on both the Jeep and mechanical repairs before you even start to think about lifts, tire sizes, winches and compressors.. This forum is a good start.
WDNewman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.