Died on highway this morning - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Died on highway this morning

Safety Thimble FairleadsEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippBLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!

Unread 07-18-2008, 10:52 PM   #16
bunkrdfool
2007 JK Wrangler 

Hope its not the timing belt ... same thing happened to my car, driving along the highway ... then BOOM dead ... wouldnt crank over and it was the timing belt ...

Unread 07-20-2008, 03:04 PM   #17
Spankyzbt13
1989 YJ Wrangler 

just replaced:

coil
ICM

engine turns over, belts, fan all turn, rig just won't start. I can smell gas getting to injectors, so I'm really just going to concentrate on electrical right now. I am not getting spark from coil to wire.

I also have a spagetti mess leading into the power block/relay on the firewall. All wires look connected, I just wasn't sure if one of these leads would contribute to problem.

I am considering buying the complete new wiring harness from JC or Quad...and suggestions?

Thanks
Spankyzbt13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2008, 06:07 PM   #18
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue1989yj View Post
My 89 died on the way top work this morning. One minute I was cruising at about 65, then the engine hesitated, lost power, and quit. It would not restart. I recently nuttered and set timing between 8-9 degrees before. It had never run as smooth as this. It was towed back to the house, where it will sit until I can come up with a fix. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Just did new oil, filter, plugs, as well.
Check for spark if you have none then it is probably the coil. If it has spark it might be no fuel.
Have your buddy turn your engine over while you put a shot of starting fluid or a spray of gas into the intake. If it runs and dies it is a fuel problem, change the inline fuel filter that is mounted on the frame rail and check to see that no other filter is located anywhere between that filter and the carb especially right where the fuel line screws into the carb, and try her again after the filter change(s). If it still won't start and you still have a good spark then you most likely have a bad fuel pump.

Pull the fuel line off of the carb, put the end of that line into a bucket and try turning her over again. You should get a strong stream of gas into the bucket. If not then your pump is NG and needs to be replaced.

IF it is not a fuel problem I also do not think it is the timing chain because if they break it immediately shuts down there is no cough and die it just shuts down like you threw a switch.
Let us know what you find, OK?
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2008, 09:21 AM   #19
Spankyzbt13
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Anybody have this issue? Next step will be to see if there are any bad fusible links in ingnition circuit.

this is so annoying. About to pull trigger on a complete aftermarket wiring harness
Spankyzbt13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2008, 04:17 PM   #20
schizm99
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I had the same thing happen to me out in the trails.. Was a relay to the ignition. Would crank and crank but no fire. I thought I had lost a fuel pump.
front lunch box lockers w/posi-lok
uniden cb, gt steering wheel, 4.10 gears
and anything else homemade
schizm99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2008, 07:45 PM   #21
jmathis3
1993 YJ Wrangler 

if your not getting spark from your coil then use a volt meter and see if your getting power. no power then go further back in the wiring ignition, silenoid, fuse. lots of hair pulling, tool throwing, beer drinking, swearing, and eventualy it will start. haha good luck.
jmathis3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2008, 08:54 PM   #22
ctm
1990 YJ Wrangler 

spanky run a hot wire directly from the battery to the coil + and see if it will start. If so then you are not getting power to the coil from the regular circuit. By the way if it does start this way you will need to yank the wire to shut it off.
ctm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2008, 11:37 AM   #23
meBrian
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I have been having the same issue. It happened nearly everyday for awhile - restarting after 5, 10, or 15 minutes. It stopped for awhile but has returned. It is more sporadic now, but still happens a couple of times a week.

I am looking at the Crankshaft Position Sensor. The sensor relays information to the ECU and is one of many things necessary to make the engine run. If it fails the engine will stop. Problem is that 15 minutes later it could start again and not happen for days, thus making it difficult to troubleshoot. According to my repair guide 87-95 models all have this sensor. It's a $40 part and a single bolt to replace. After I change it out I'll let you know if it fixes the problem.
92 , 2.5 (Reman), AX5 (Reman), 3.5" BDS, 1" shackles, 33x12.50 BFG Muds on Black Crager 15x10s. 8.8 & D30 w/ TJ axle mod. 4.88, Metalcloak fenders and rails. Corbeau Seats and harness, Sirius Sat Radio

It's hip to be square!
meBrian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2008, 03:09 PM   #24
Russ_93YJ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Just installed my new trans and everything strarted up great! It ran for two days parked it and now will not fire up. Have spark, and fuel but no answers. I hope it's mispluged CPS that's it...
Unread 07-25-2008, 09:16 PM   #25
ZeroGravity
1991 YJ Wrangler 

My jeep had some issues where it would not start but would crank without turning over. It is fuel injected so this might not help but I could not tell if there was gas getting to the engine (could not smell it at all). I replaced the fuel filter but it turned out to be a bad relay. Not sure which one but it cost like $5.

Worse comes to worse...you have a new relay.
ZeroGravity is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2008, 10:05 AM   #26
intenseblu
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunkrdfool View Post
Hope its not the timing belt
Probably not ... 2.5/4.2/4.0 all have timing chains ... very easy to change as well but you would hear it slapping before it goes for a few thousnad miles and massive noise upon breakage.
intenseblu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2008, 04:12 PM   #27
Russ_93YJ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Replaced my CPS, spark plugs, and fuel filter yesterday. I can get a couple of cylnders to fire after crankinging the motor over for ever and then nothing again. I thinking of going one of two directions. One is replacing the fuel pump thae still works with the idea that it's not makeing enough pessure for the fuel rail. The second is going next down the sensor game and replaceing the ECU because I have spark and can smell fuel after cranking it over for ever. They will cost about the same but man dropping the tank would be a pain in the butt! Help!!!
Unread 07-29-2008, 12:27 AM   #28
havasu
On permanent vacation

2004 TJ Wrangler 

How much pressure do you have in the fuel rail? If it squirts out with any force, you can bet you have enough pressure to start the jeep. Borrow another ECU from someone and see if it works?
havasu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2008, 02:01 PM   #29
Russ_93YJ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Finally got her up and going again! I when piece by piece and the last thing before buting a ECU was replacing the coil. Once I took it out there was a crack going through the two mounting pionts. I would get spark to the plugs just not enough. Once replace it fired up in seconds.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.