Dick Cepek Lift - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Dick Cepek Lift

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 02-14-2013, 09:30 AM   #1
Reno72
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Dick Cepek Lift

I'm in the middle of a restoration and I've narrowed down my lift to the BDS 4.5 or RE 4.5 extreme. The Cepek lift on this jeep has been on over 100,000 miles and the springs are still tight, no real sagging. They are noisy because of rust between the leaves, and it will jar your teeth out (maybe because the shocks have 100,000 miles also) Any info on this lift? They are way cheap and have lasted a looong time. I still plan on the BDS or RE because I want a nicer ride with good flex and height, but I'm impressed on how well these springs have held up.

Reno72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2013, 10:05 AM   #2
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Way back when (~1996).....Cepek came out with there 3.5-4" SUA YJ suspension lift, they contacted me and asked if I'd be there local test monkey. I met with Tom Cepek at there old Kearney Mesa store & they sold me the lift at a reasonable cost (~$300) & installed it for free. I got the first one that hit the streets.

The lift was very noisy due to the inferior design and construction of the leafs. Since the leafs were not constructed with teflon pads, they not only popped, they squeaked as well. The spring clips were the type that held the leafs closely together. Again, bad design & caused for a rough ride under normal street conditions. Plus, with the front and rear tracbar drop brackets they initially installed, made for some serious suspension bind.

The shock tubes were an issue as well. Specifically, as the suspension drooped (ever so little because the leafs were so stiff) the shock tubes would contact the rear axle tubes & dented the shocks in short order. They were a double tube design, so no real harm, but you could hear them make contact on a regular basis.

The kit did not come with a drop pitman arm. Bumpsteer was aweful until I installed an aftermarket DPA, which afterwards corrected the bad bumpsteer.

It wasn't till after I installed a winch & swingout rear gas can & tire carrier that the suspension finally smoothed out some. Prior to that, it rode horribly. My youngest son Jerry would get carsick every time he rode in the back seat. I repeat - every time. Dramamine didn't help.

The first time I hauled it on a trailer and spent about a week in Moab, the suspension settled ~1.5".
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2013, 10:33 AM   #3
MLJeeper
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
Way back when (~1996).....Cepek came out with there 3.5-4" SUA YJ suspension lift, they contacted me and asked if I'd be there local test monkey. I met with Tom Cepek at there old Kearney Mesa store & they sold me the lift at a reasonable cost (~$300) & installed it for free. I got the first one that hit the streets.

The lift was very noisy due to the inferior design and construction of the leafs. Since the leafs were not constructed with teflon pads, they not only popped, they squeaked as well. The spring clips were the type that held the leafs closely together. Again, bad design & caused for a rough ride under normal street conditions. Plus, with the front and rear tracbar drop brackets they initially installed, made for some serious suspension bind.

The shock tubes were an issue as well. Specifically, as the suspension drooped (ever so little because the leafs were so stiff) the shock tubes would contact the rear axle tubes & dented the shocks in short order. They were a double tube design, so no real harm, but you could hear them make contact on a regular basis.

The kit did not come with a drop pitman arm. Bumpsteer was aweful until I installed an aftermarket DPA, which afterwards corrected the bad bumpsteer.

It wasn't till after I installed a winch & swingout rear gas can & tire carrier that the suspension finally smoothed out some. Prior to that, it rode horribly. My youngest son Jerry would get carsick every time he rode in the back seat. I repeat - every time. Dramamine didn't help.

The first time I hauled it on a trailer and spent about a week in Moab, the suspension settled ~1.5".

So......what your saying is.... they may have sold the design etc to Rough Country?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
Any video of the sound?
MLJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2013, 10:46 AM   #4
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLJeeper View Post
So......what your saying is.... they may have sold the design etc to Rough Country?

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Rproject is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2013, 11:07 AM   #5
SeanB95YJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I'm not familiar with DC suspensions... I thought they only made tires LOL

but... if the springs are still healthy, there are some things you can do to smooth it out a little and quiet it down some.

disassemble the packs and hit each leaf with wire brush on a drill to remove flaked paint & surface rust. Find a Tractor Supply (or similar) store and get some "slip plate" paint... it's a maint with graphite in it, often used for plows and other farm stuff to minimize dirt sticking and ease cleanup. paint each individual leaf with slip plate.

call a local spring shop and ask if they'll sell you (or even GIVE you sometimes) a few strips of teflon inserts... rather than a 2 1/2" square pad at the end of each leaf, these are full length strips of teflon you put in between each leaf.

with some heat (torch) and pliers, bend the crimp style clamps so they point straight up... then drill a hole through the clamp ears and put a bolt across with a piece of tubing on it, turning it into a bolt style clamp.

I did this on the rear Rancho leaves way back when I had an 87 XJ... night and day difference

if you've already got the height you're wanting, it's a much less expensive alternative, just the cost of the slip-plate paint, some teflon strips, a couple bolts and maybe some new shocks.
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Blue"]Sean B. - Schenectady, NY - 95 YJ, 350/700r4/NP241, JB Shorty SYE, 8.8 rear, 2" BDS, 1" homebrew shackles, Daystar 1" BL, TJ flares, 35x12.50 General Grabber AT2 on 15x10 Bart D-Truckers, Polyshield polycarbonate windshield, HD over/under crossover steering
[/COLOR] [COLOR="Red"]swap/build thread: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/after-almost-4-years-finally-my-own-build-swap-thread-1542284/[/url][/COLOR][/FONT]
SeanB95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2013, 11:15 AM   #6
Reno72
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the info. I think it was probably about 96 that this was put on. I always thought it was maybe the same builder as RC becuae of the cheap price, but I have not seen much droop as I hear RC springs have. After 100,000+ miles they will still jar your teeth out (or make you car sick). I think this has a dropped pitman arm, how long is the stock? I'm piecing together my upgrade and thought I have a dropped arm, I may have to buy one.
Reno72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.