Detroit lockers - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Detroit lockers

April Savings Save 5% Off Of Jeep HeadlightsBaseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiSave on Rancho Products !

Unread 03-22-2015, 02:44 PM   #1
devildog_1960

Detroit lockers

I am new to jeeps. I have bought an 87 YJ . Pros and cons of detroit lockers front and rear. The rear is dana 35 and the front is dana 30.

devildog_1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2015, 03:34 PM   #2
pete1991YJ
Web Wheeler

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Welcome to JeepForum, you've just found one of the best jeep sites anywhere!

Cons tend to be the expense and the noise they make in the corners. It doesn't bother me tho.
Pros is that lockers make the jeep nearly unstoppable, I regularly drive thru blizzards and ice and
the trucks I have had with lockers can keep up with snowmobiles and ATV's when the going gets rough.

You might want to seriously consider upgrading your rear axle before putting a locker in the back - the Dana 35 is known to be weak and failure-prone even in stock condition on the street. Most guys put at least a Ford 8.8 out of a Explorer for a rear axle, then they upgrade that with the lockers etc. Hope this helps!
Unread 03-22-2015, 04:50 PM   #3
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete1991YJ
Welcome to JeepForum, you've just found one of the best jeep sites anywhere! Cons tend to be the expense and the noise they make in the corners. It doesn't bother me tho. Pros is that lockers make the jeep nearly unstoppable, I regularly drive thru blizzards and ice and the trucks I have had with lockers can keep up with snowmobiles and ATV's when the going gets rough. You might want to seriously consider upgrading your rear axle before putting a locker in the back - the Dana 35 is known to be weak and failure-prone even in stock condition on the street. Most guys put at least a Ford 8.8 out of a Explorer for a rear axle, then they upgrade that with the lockers etc. Hope this helps!
^^^ couldn't have said it better myself however I'm in the parts gathering process for my 8.8 and d30. I'm going with yukon grizzly lockers. About $60 less and higher quality and they stand behind their product more then Detroit who's quality has gone down over the past few years but they still make a great locker.
Unread 03-23-2015, 06:35 AM   #4
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom95YJ View Post

^^^ couldn't have said it better myself however I'm in the parts gathering process for my 8.8 and d30. I'm going with yukon grizzly lockers. About $60 less and higher quality and they stand behind their product more then Detroit who's quality has gone down over the past few years but they still make a great locker.
Gotta watch Detroit, they don't stand behind their products. I have newish true tracks front and rear and the axle splines stripped out on the rear drivers side in my driveway in 6" of snow. Detroit (Eaton) flat out refuses to sell me the part saying only "the true track is not repairable".
The metal is supposed to soo hard, yet the axle stripped out the splines.... Junk.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2015, 09:26 AM   #5
mike134
1989 YJ Wrangler 

if you live in a snow region, You should go selectable in the front. Selectable rear if you can afford it. You dont want to drive on ice and snow on the roadways with an auto locker.
mike134 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2015, 09:49 AM   #6
Mobile_Homie
Desert Rat

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike134 View Post
if you live in a snow region, You should go selectable in the front. Selectable rear if you can afford it. You dont want to drive on ice and snow on the roadways with an auto locker.

Also my consider selectable if you ever plan on flat towing the thing...

Smoke em if you got em!

Click here
Mobile_Homie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2015, 04:03 PM   #7
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike134
I never had issues over he past 12 years with auto lockers.
Unread 03-23-2015, 05:59 PM   #8
mike134
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom95YJ View Post
I never had issues over he past 12 years with auto lockers.
That's true, you can just be super careful. Still shouldn't be recommended though.
Unread 03-23-2015, 06:21 PM   #9
ssyj94
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Been doing it for well over 10 years every winter. I prefer the predictable locked rear that will climb snow covered hills to an open rear that wouldn't get half way up up the hill. A front axle is best to be selectable in the snow the rear is better locked IMO. I've never said "oh man I wish I had a selectable rear."

Quote:
Gotta watch Detroit, they don't stand behind their products. I have newish true tracks front and rear and the axle splines stripped out on the rear drivers side in my driveway in 6" of snow. Detroit (Eaton) flat out refuses to sell me the part saying only "the true track is not repairable".
The metal is supposed to soo hard, yet the axle stripped out the splines.... Junk
I've also found their customer service useless and they will not sell parts of any locker except a certain parts of a dana 60.
Unread 03-23-2015, 06:44 PM   #10
Norcal_chris

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I dont think I would like a detroit on a stock wheelbase rig that was driven daily. They like to pop and lock/unlock alot

OCT '13 & OCT '14 YJOTM 2014 YJOTY
Norcal_chris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2015, 11:20 PM   #11
mickcollinsb16b

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Had one in a rear axle in a Toyota and it would eat tires.
Unread 03-23-2015, 11:28 PM   #12
devildog_1960

Thanks for all the advice. what all has to be done to an 8.8 before install?
devildog_1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2015, 11:40 PM   #13
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

I had one in my third dana 35. 4.10 with 31's made me want to pull out my own teeth on the road. When I threw on 35's I felt a lot better about it!!

"Whiskey is for drinking, Water is for fighting over" - Mark Twain
Anticanman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2015, 11:41 PM   #14
mickcollinsb16b

1989 YJ Wrangler 

There is a whole thread right on top of YJ Tech section. Basically get an 8.8 out of Explorer, Mountaineer. Try '97-01 get the rear disks. Buy a bunch of cut off wheels. M.O.R.E you can get spring perches, shock mounts and parking brake cables to make it all happen. Welding required
Unread 03-24-2015, 01:03 AM   #15
mike134
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Or punt on all the work and call East Coast Gear Supply if you are willing to show out the extra cash. They'll put whatever you want into a remanufactured Ford 8.8.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.