Detroit EZ Lockers - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Detroit EZ Lockers

G2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChBill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 07-19-2001, 12:17 PM   #1
Pantera

Detroit EZ Lockers

Dontcha just love people like me who spam the message boards looking for all sorts of ideas???

Anyway, my question... Anyone using Detroit EZ lockers??? Do ya like em??? I was thinking about getting some for me stock D30 & D35c axles... I guess I would consider them a temporary (few years) fix till I can afford to upgrade the entire drivetrain to a V8, T18 or NV4??, Atlas, D44 or D60... Are there any better alternatives??? The Jeep® is my daily driver, so I don't want to just get a spool... I also don't want to spent a lot of money... Ideas???

Pantera is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2001, 12:46 PM   #2
rayray

I run an EZ in my D30. Works fine and it's easy to fix if a problem occurs. I would recomend keeping your spider and side gears with you when you go wheeling. That way if the locker does fail, you can always swap out and still be mobile.

rayray
rayray is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2001, 01:58 PM   #3
Nightclaw
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I have an EZ Locker in my D35, and have been generally OK with it. It's a touch squirrely on-road, but absolutely perfect off-road. As long as you recognize that it will add a certain element of, umm... excitement to on-road driving, you should be happy. This isn't specific to the EZ, but rather to locking diffs in general. Simply due to their nature, they will change the driving characteristics of the vehicle.

Oh, and if you do put a locker in your rear D35, watch out for ice patches in winter!
4.0L / AX-15 / Stock NP231 / Stock D30 (open) / D60 (35-spline, Detroit locker, Moser axles) / rear disc brakes / 4.56 gears / Advanced Adapters SYE & CV Shaft / 33" BFG MT-KM's / Thorley Header / Magnaflow Muffler / BesTop Flares
Nightclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2001, 03:00 PM   #4
93YJ

I run an E-Z locker in my front D30. I have been pushing it with a V-8 and 37" tires with no troubles at all. It's been in there for about 2 years, and I'm pretty suprised at how well it has held up. I've even stripped all the teeth off of the front ring and pinion with no damage to the locker at all! I would definately recommend it. Chances are it's stronger then most of the rest of the axle.

Jay
www.txtrailriders.com
93YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2001, 03:43 PM   #5
rayray

ya know, I totally forgot about that. I blew my pinion to bits and the ez held up. Thanks for the memory jolt Jay

rayray
Unread 07-19-2001, 03:51 PM   #6
Pantera

Ok then, from the sounds of things, get the EZ Lockers and I'll be sitting pretty ... Sweet guys... Thanks for the tips...
Pantera is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2001, 10:22 PM   #7
osburn
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Just as a warning, they don't hold up forever in the rear. Since you've said this is temporary, this is exactly what I'd do too. Like RayRay says, carry your spider gears as spares in case it goes on ya. But keep in mind to change them, you need fluid and some RTV to seal it back up. Carry those too. Hell, everyone should be carrying some gear oil and RTV with them though. Right?
osburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2001, 10:38 AM   #8
rayray

Quote:
Originally posted by osburn:
Hell, everyone should be carrying some gear oil and RTV with them though. Right?
Yeppers, it goes between the duck tape and the mustard

rayray
Unread 07-22-2001, 04:48 PM   #9
YJMCB
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I will say that the ez-locker has more handling issues than the full detroit that I replaced it with after only 2 years.If you are installing it yourself it may be worth it ,but if you are paying to have it installed don't waste your time or money.YJMCB

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.