JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   YJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/)
-   -   Desperately seeking VIN (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/desperately-seeking-vin-1565967/)

MKnight9 08-23-2013 12:19 AM

Desperately seeking VIN

I'm trying to register my rusty former New York 1995 Wrangler in California.
Unfortunately due to its career as a snow plow for many years, the frame is covered in rust, although I plan on addressing that problem as soon as/if I can get the vehicle registered.

I need to find 2 VIN numbers on the vehicle in order to register it.

The frame is out as a source since it's too rusty.

The windshield has been replaced, so that VIN is long gone.

The only VIN I can locate is on the driver's side door.

Are there any other VIN locations hidden somewhere on this Jeep?

beemerkid 08-23-2013 06:33 AM

What about the engine? I did a swap so I cant check but I seem to remember a few sets of #'s stamped into the block.

jokerchief462 08-23-2013 06:37 AM

No VIN tag driver side firewall??? Look just next to the clutch master cylinder. Yes the one on the drivers door is valid.

lah2420 08-23-2013 06:41 AM

My VIN isn't on the windshield. It's on top of the dash to the front left of the steering wheel where you can see it through the windshield.

Oops. Scratch that. I see the plate is attached to the windshield frame.

Rproject 08-23-2013 06:52 AM

There should be a tag on the firewall with the VIN number on it. Might be covered in mud/grease, but it should be where jokerchief indicated.

Old4X 08-23-2013 07:34 AM

Who the heck looks at a vin anymore? Have registered vehicles in 4 different states lately and all the state wanted was money and proof of insurance.

laybackman 08-23-2013 08:14 AM

I have a VIN tag attached to the lower radiator frame below the cooling fan on my '95 YJ.

Isn't there one on the top of the frame in front of the gas tank also?

jokerchief462 08-23-2013 08:30 AM

When I registered in NV the inspector went looking and since the firewall was good he went to the windshield frame. I had replaced it and he mentioned those are new rivets I need another VIN location to confirm. He went to the drivers door and we had to remove the tape I forgot when I painted the door. They are only anal where they steal em all the time or salvage them. CA is the same. So OP hope there's enough info.

MKnight9 08-23-2013 01:03 PM

No luck on the firewall. Anything frame located is long gone.
Thanks for all your suggestions.
The DMV is having me take it to the California Highway Patrol to see if they can find anything or at least verify the vehicle. Fingers crossed.

timatoe 08-23-2013 01:29 PM

Call your local CHP office and tell them your situation, you may not get someone to actually come out in LA but...... 100% guarantee they have at least one guy in the office that knows where every VIN on there is. Maybe they can at least tell you where to look. Mine has one on the firewall as well btw.

YJ4LIFE 08-23-2013 05:22 PM

try CHP in woodland hills

The time now is 07:10 PM.