desperately need help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > desperately need help

Jeep Grand Cherokee Mirror - Side ViewJeep Grand Cherokee Header PanelTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 06-22-2013, 01:02 PM   #1
benkashold

desperately need help

so iv had my jeep for a couple of years its a 89 yj im struggling to keep running its my daily driver right now. a couple weeks ago i was coming back home from a long drive and the gear at the end of the distributor that sits on the cam busted off my grandfather who pretty much built the jeep put a knew distributor on seemed to be running as good as ever lately its been running really rough back firing alot and a couple days it just wouldnt idle at all so i messed with the two screws on the carb a little seemed to be running fine yesterday i replaced all the spark plugs and two belts drove it around for 20 minutes was good i got home and noticed that a small hole in the back of the intake was hissing really bad i put my finger over the hole and it died i plugged a small hos coming from the fire wall into the hole they seemed to fit now it wont start or anything even whaen i unplug the hose. when i try to start it i get loud puffing sounds from the carb.

benkashold is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2013, 01:46 PM   #2
greyarea
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I would check and adjust your timing. It also helps if you fi in al the details about your jeep in the profile.
Unread 06-22-2013, 03:56 PM   #3
Noltz
YJ Wrangler 

Wow, ok that was very difficult to understand. You need to sort your information better so we can help you.
  • Your distributor gear drive sheered off, and you guys installed a new distributor. Everything ran fine.
  • Lately it's running rough, backfiring, poor or no idle. Tried adjusting the mixture screws on the carb and got it running fine.
  • Replaced plugs and belts (no change)
  • Found vacuum leak (hissing). Found loose hose, installed but now will not start at all.

First, I don't think your distributor is the problem at all. Sounds like it failed (fatigue), got replaced and is now good.
You probably developed a vacuum leak, causing your poor idle and backfiring. Vacuum leaks lean out the mixture.
You compensated for the vacuum leak by turning out the idle and main jet screws.
Leak got worse (hose fell off completely?), you found it. Put the hose back on, and now you're running super rich. Flooded engine, now won't start.

THIS IS ALL JUST THEORY.

My suggestion is to cap off the vacuum leak at the back of the intake. Do not put the random hose on it... you don't know for sure that's what it's there for. If you post a picture, we can try to help you on that later, but for right now use a rubber plug or duct tape over that nipple for now.
Put your mixture screws back where they were. If you don't know how many turns you moved them, the very rough setting for most carbs is 2 turns out from bottom. This means gently screw both mixture screws all the way down until the bottom. I cannot stress gently enough. That is now your Zero point. Turn each screws out 2 full turns.

You've monkied with this one pretty good. Hopefully you can get it close on your own or you may need to pay a mechanic. Talk to your grandfather about where to set the mixture screws if he's available.
Noltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2013, 04:57 PM   #4
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Noltz,
I always enjoy reading your well written posts.
Anticanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2013, 11:32 PM   #5
Luuca
Professional Novice

2005 LJ Wrangler 

@Noltz: I think you're close, but if you read closely, "gear at the end of the distributor that sits on the cam busted off my grandfather". Shouldn't he take his grandfather to the ER or Napa first?
91 YJ "Alice" 2.5L AX5 D30/35, Rock sliders, Monsta Daughter&Dad Project Yellow Jeep Club Club #91

05 LJ Rubi "Ghost" 4.0L Auto NV241 Rock-Trac D44/44 lockers, 4" Currie Lift, 1" BL, 33s, hardtop
Luuca is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2013, 11:42 PM   #6
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Look out!! Grammar Gestapo is out looking for misplaced modifiers.
Unread 06-27-2013, 05:54 PM   #7
Luuca
Professional Novice

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
Look out!! Grammar Gestapo is out looking for misplaced modifiers.
91 YJ "Alice" 2.5L AX5 D30/35, Rock sliders, Monsta Daughter&Dad Project Yellow Jeep Club Club #91

05 LJ Rubi "Ghost" 4.0L Auto NV241 Rock-Trac D44/44 lockers, 4" Currie Lift, 1" BL, 33s, hardtop
Luuca is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2013, 07:13 PM   #8
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luuca View Post
Oh the irony!!! Hahaha

OP did you listen to Noltz?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.