Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Dented

997 views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  BRad704 
#1 ·
Some piece of crap broke into my engine bay last night and stole %5.00 worth of stuff. Anyhow they didn't latch down the hood. I didn't notice anything was wrong untill i went down the street and WHAM the hood comes up into my light bar. LIght bar and lights ok, but not ihave four dents in my hood. I don't have alot of money so i was trying to think of something i could do that would look good. The dents will drive me crazy. I was thinking a spraying the thing black. :confused:

The dents are right infromt of the body lines. :brickwall

pisses me off but what are going to do?

#2 ·
do you have any pics? i would try a dent puller- i bet that would work- but i wouldn't do a crappy spray job, thats only gonna look bad, i have some dents in my yj, but see them more of battle scars than body damage.

#3 ·
Might want to try to get a dents removing kit. Dont know the technical words, but its usually a bunch of dies and a hammer thing(Pretty technical, huh?). You can give a shot at banging it out. Otherwise, if your lights were spaced evenly, just tell people it's a custom hood. Helps direct air into your cowl intake while breaking up the air around your vehicale to help aerodynamacy(sp?).

#4 ·
Not to say I'm a fan of these things, but I have seen those car bra things for jeeps. They come up and over the hood in a winged sort of pattern. Somebody on here knows what I'm talking about.

Sorry to hear of your loss.

#6 ·
Along the lines of dent pulling, try the dent pulling suction cups. You have to clean the surface well or it may not stick long enough. For banging out the hood I would think to take it off, and lay it on a piece of ply-wood and hammer it from the back, carefully. (I have not had to do this on a hood, so this is a guess from me, use it at your own hazard, and good luck.)

BTW: I installed a hood lock, I have a 91 and for me it was a matter of unbolting two bolts and screwing it on, then a little adjustment, and presto, minor deterrence for the cost of about $30. Well worth it I see, base on your experience! :(

#8 ·
the only thing that will get out a dent witha crease in it is bondo. you can hammer all day and never get it straight, it just aint gonna happen. I have 2 dents about 1/2 way up the hood about 2' apart (looks like the navy guy I bought it from had a chick on the hood, so that's the story I tell)

Every dents a story to tell. :D

#11 ·
brhoden79 said:
i woul pull the sdents but it hit prety hard and knocked off chuncks of paint all the way down to the metal. i was thinking of a black hood?
So the ultimate goal of this is not to pull the dents w/ no other work. You are going to have to paint the hood no matter what. Right? My dad's got his own shop here in Memphis, TN. Next time you come through town, let me know and we'll get you fixed up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.