Delay in fuel pump relay when turn the key. .. Won't start til relay switches - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Delay in fuel pump relay when turn the key. .. Won't start til relay switches

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 03-23-2010, 03:37 AM   #1
fisherman125
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Delay in fuel pump relay when turn the key. .. Won't start til relay switches

I turn the key and it won't start I have to wait til the relay switches before I have fuel pressure to start the jeep what the hell is happening?

fisherman125 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2010, 05:18 AM   #2
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Normally the ASD relay pulls in the fuel pump relay when you turn the key. The fuel pump then pressurizes the fuel system to 38 PSI. It should take less than a second. How long is the delay from turning the key until your relay pulls the pump in?
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2010, 07:20 AM   #3
fisherman125
1995 YJ Wrangler 

This morning it took about 55 minutes yesterday only 10 minutes
Unread 03-23-2010, 07:24 AM   #4
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds like you have the problem with the ECU caps. Does you Check engine light come on when you cycle the key to ignition on?
Unread 03-23-2010, 07:31 AM   #5
fisherman125
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Only when I try to start it. No lights are on when the key is turned to the on postion. And by caps do you mean capacitors?
Unread 03-23-2010, 07:42 AM   #6
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Yes, in the FAQ it has a link on how to replace them. You have the classic case of the burned caps on the Engine controller.

Here is the link:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/c...rs-ecu-492597/
Unread 03-23-2010, 08:16 AM   #7
fisherman125
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Are you 100 percent sure that's the issue? How hard is it to do and would it be easier to get a new ecu? They're probably expensive tho
Unread 03-23-2010, 08:47 AM   #8
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

You description of the problem is classic with the symptoms. The finally symptom is no Check engine light when you turn the key on. The ECU can be anywhere from $75 used to several hundred dollars rebuilt. Follow the directions. It is easy to do. It is an easy fix and the directions are very good in the writeup but you are the only person who knows arefter reading through it if you are capable of doing it. If you are going to have to pay to buy a new Engine Controller(PCM or ECU) anyways then why not spent the few dollars and give it a try. That is what this forum is about, helping you to get the info to get things done on your Jeep. There might be others in the area that might help and there are places you can ship your controller for repair as alternatives. I say go ahead and try it.
Unread 03-23-2010, 10:12 AM   #9
fisherman125
1995 YJ Wrangler 

This is well within my capabilities I'm a mechanical technician for an aerospace engineering company. So thank you so much for your help this would be amazing I this fixes it
Unread 03-23-2010, 10:37 AM   #10
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Its a cakewalk for you then. Most of the new boards are 4mm and smaller and are all SMD the caps are through board and are easy. SASQUACHYJ did a great job posting the PCM repair. It has save thousands of dollars in PCM replacements. Post back and let us know how it goes.
Unread 03-23-2010, 11:37 AM   #11
fisherman125
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Ok I called the electronics supply store and the x3 part confused her and also the w in the 35wvdc is it just a standard 220 uf 35vdc cap? She stocks those and can I do this in a night or is it a long process?
Unread 03-23-2010, 11:43 AM   #12
idaholtby
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisherman125 View Post
Ok I called the electronics supply store and the x3 part confused her and also the w in the 35wvdc is it just a standard 220 uf 35vdc cap? She stocks those and can I do this in a night or is it a long process?
X3 = 3 each
35VDC 220uf Electrolytic capacitors with radial leads. The voltage is not that important so long as it is rated the same or higher. Typically, caps are sized to be twice the voltage rating that they would see in the circuit. Pay attention to the polarity of the caps as they are removed. The new ones will need to be installed in the same orientation. The stripe on the side denotes the negative terminal.
idaholtby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2010, 12:02 PM   #13
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Yep, you can do it in a few hours and yep everything that was said about the cap. It is easy just remember its polarized and it needs to be soldered in the correct polarization.
Unread 03-23-2010, 02:00 PM   #14
1 ton yj
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I've got a 95 YJ with the same issue. Anyone got a Radio Shack part # for these caps?
1 ton yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2010, 04:01 PM   #15
fisherman125
1995 YJ Wrangler 

It worked perfectly!!! Fired on the first try and everytime since took about ab hour make sure when you buy the caps at radio shack that you but a fine tip soldering iron and a solder sucker oh and you don't need a part number they are a common cap 220 uf 35 vdc electrilitic radial leads

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.