Definitive Rear Shackle Lift - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Definitive Rear Shackle Lift

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEMassive SAVINGS on VISION X EVO PRIME 10 WATT LED LIGHT BANew Product Release: Flowmaster CA Legal Direct-Fit Cataly

Unread 08-29-2004, 08:51 AM   #1
prossett

Location: The oasis city of Al Ain, where the red sand dunes of the UAE meet the craggy mountains of Oman
Definitive Rear Shackle Lift

With all due respect to MDEnce who posted:

When you are ready, do the back first.
Put the JEEP on jack stands and drop the gas tank skid. Just take the nuts of the short bolts on the rear of the gas tank skid. (The prior tip about removing the bushings can work too.)
Then lossen the shackle bolts, top and bottom. I used a box wrench behind and a tire iron in front, worked great.
You can then put a scissor jack, or bottle jack between the top of your leaf's and the frame and jack it so that you can slide the bolts out (if it's stuck, a long screwdriver and a hammer will help).
Then replace the old shackle with the new one.
Adjust the jack and replace the bolts (with new GRADED ones)
Put the replacement bolt in the opposite way from when you removed them so you don't have the gas tank interference problem if you do this again.
Do the other side the same way.
Now bolt your gas tank skid back up.

This looks like the simplest, most efficient method of removing the rear shackles - is this then THE way to do it?

If so, it should go in the FAQ for posterity (credit to MDEnce of course)

I just did my front two and tomorrow I tackle the back: to my untrained eye it looks like dropping the skid is not going to give enough room to slide the bolt out.

Other two alternatives I've found on search are: cut the bolts off, remove the outside half of the bushing.

[COLOR=white]White Jeep [/COLOR] Club Member 33
prossett is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2004, 06:39 PM   #2
ncjeepinyj

I cut my bolts, but later had a frient tell me that he was able to get his out by removing the bushing. If i had it to do over again, i would try the bushing first.
ncjeepinyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2004, 06:47 PM   #3
Shinner
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by prossett
Other two alternatives I've found on search are: cut the bolts off, remove the outside half of the bushing.
Bushings are the way to go....no bolt cutting, no gas tank drop. Piece of cake.

Black Jeep Society - Black Jeep Club V2.0 #37 - Merry Wacko Jeep Club #37 - Metalhead Jeep Club #37 - 2.5L Low Output Jeep Club #37
Shinner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2004, 10:09 PM   #4
MDEnce
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by prossett
With all due respect to MDEnce who posted:

. . . .

This looks like the simplest, most efficient method of removing the rear shackles - is this then THE way to do it?

If so, it should go in the FAQ for posterity (credit to MDEnce of course)

I just did my front two and tomorrow I tackle the back: to my untrained eye it looks like dropping the skid is not going to give enough room to slide the bolt out.

Hey, I wasn't looking for credit or anything, just trying to give back to the forum that has been a help to me.
As far as THE way, like I said I've heard the bushing removal thing will work too (and it loooks like it would). Since I wouldn't re-use the bolts, I'd have just cut them off if I had a working grinder (but I wasn't gonna try it w/just a Dremmel)
From my own experience, I've done the tank skid, twice, on my 95 YJ and there is enough room.

Let us know which way you ended up trying, and how it went.

Good luck.
WHITE Jeep Club Member #95
97 XJ Sport 4.0L I6 Auto
Wife's Jeep - 2" budget boost and 31" BFG AT's
MDEnce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2004, 04:05 AM   #5
prossett

Location: The oasis city of Al Ain, where the red sand dunes of the UAE meet the craggy mountains of Oman
Mission accomplished - dropped the skid and slipped out the bolts with very little cursing!

It was actually very simple. No bolts were stuck (pre-soaked) and the jack opened up the leaf enough to reach the new shackle.

The bushings looked cracked and I thought I had to replace them, but no, they were fine and still plenty to go. This is on a 93 I6. I assume that the dry desert air is good for fasteners and bushings.

As for our friend MDEnce, I know you weren't looking for credit, but credit is due - certainly not for inventing this method but at least for sharing it.

I think it should be added to the FAQ, since a lot of questions go up about those rear shackle bolts. Instead of starting a whole new message there, I notice that Sentinal02 has editing rights on his message of where he lists different kinds of lift, including the shackle lift. I'll PM him and see if he wants to add the three methods of dealing with the rear bolts.

[COLOR=white]White Jeep [/COLOR] Club Member 33
prossett is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.