Death wobble, sway bar??? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Death wobble, sway bar???

TJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFIron Cross Customer JK and TJ Wrangler Bumpers now at ROCK

Unread 04-12-2013, 12:45 PM   #16
Jax89Jeeper
1989 YJ Wrangler 

With all new components and an oscillation at the wheels, the damper fixed the problem.... no more oscillation. In what way does the DW still exist if the oscillation is gone? The SS is an engineered part of the system, the designers added it because it was needed. The DW is gone, it is not hidden, it is taken care of by the design of the system. We live in an imperfect world so even with all new components the SS is still needed to make up for that imperfection.

Jax89Jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2013, 12:53 PM   #17
Kodiak17
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax89Jeeper View Post
With all new components and an oscillation at the wheels, the damper fixed the problem.... no more oscillation. In what way does the DW still exist if the oscillation is gone? The SS is an engineered part of the system, the designers added it because it was needed. The DW is gone, it is not hidden
Its not gone, you just can't feel it. Theres still a loose end somewhere. And it wasn't added because it was needed, you can drive without an SS.

My build: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/thor-dd-weekend-warrior-1348534/
Kodiak17 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2013, 01:13 PM   #18
squishy
Web Wheeler
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiak17

Its not gone, you just can't feel it. Theres still a loose end somewhere. And it wasn't added because it was needed, you can drive without an SS.
Agreed. It's not gone. Your front end is messed up somewhere. The SS is like track bars with leaf springs USELESS!!!!
squishy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2013, 02:41 PM   #19
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

If it is only doing it in the small speed range the first thing you should do is have your tires balanced. In YJ's that more often than not is the cause. It is rare for our leaf sprung YJ's to get real death wobble. As Squishy said our YJ's dont need an SS I havent had one on in 2 years. I also have no track bars and I dont run a sway bar. It is most likely your tires being out of balance.

[QUOTE=Magnum;14117863] I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ldso;16498409]. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Luuca;16122017]diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Overhead;17658665]this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.[/QUOTE]
Siva283 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2013, 02:52 PM   #20
Zeus82more
1999 TJ Wrangler 

When I first got my 99 tj it had a DW when I hit bumps at higher speeds. I thought it was the tires and balance. Got new tires and that helped. But the DW came back. I noticed the stirring shock was leaking. After replacing that the DW was gone. So if the shock has any oil leaking out of it it is not cushioning any blows ie causing it to wobble. Let me know wat it looks like
Zeus82more is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2013, 02:55 PM   #21
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeus82more View Post
When I first got my 99 tj it had a DW when I hit bumps at higher speeds. I thought it was the tires and balance. Got new tires and that helped. But the DW came back. I noticed the stirring shock was leaking. After replacing that the DW was gone. So if the shock has any oil leaking out of it it is not cushioning any blows ie causing it to wobble. Let me know wat it looks like
You have a Coil sprung TJ he has a leaf sprung YJ. Big Big difference there. Also changing the Steering Stabilizer did not fix your death wobble. It covered it up. It will come back when it destroys your SS again.

[QUOTE=Magnum;14117863] I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ldso;16498409]. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Luuca;16122017]diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

[QUOTE=Overhead;17658665]this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.[/QUOTE]
Unread 04-12-2013, 03:27 PM   #22
Zeus82more
1999 TJ Wrangler 

True didn't think about that. I was just trying to help. And I replaced my ss almost two years ago and just drove from fl to Cali with still no issues. Something has to be workin.
Unread 04-12-2013, 03:39 PM   #23
Jax89Jeeper
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Just like shocks dampen the bumps in the road.... because your suspension is actually messed up and the shocks just mask it. I know what worked to fix mine... I thought I could leave it out, based on what I had read in various forums, and be great with all new components. So I tried it and found it would oscillate quite a bit.
In my rebuild I replaced the entire steering linkage, ball joints, etc. and had the alignment checked, tires ballanced, and had an oscillation when I first got it out on the road without the SS. I put in the SS and the problem went away. If you say it masks it, then I agree in the sense that masking it equates to stopping the DW oscillation from starting. The SS is a designed part of the system, which was engineered as a whole working unit. Remove a piece and it may work for some, but not for others depending on cumulative in/out tolerences of the system.

-I am not trying to argue, we are all trying to help accomplish the same goal to help the OP
Unread 04-12-2013, 03:43 PM   #24
Ripper3494
1994 YJ Wrangler 

im willing to bet its tierod or drag link ends.
1997 ZJ limited - BONE stock
2003 tj - 4in skyjacker, 33" mickey thompsons
my on board alternator/welder write up
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/alternator-welder-write-up-1301614/[/url]
my tj 1/2 doors on a yj write up
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/tj-uppers-yj-half-doors-hard-top-installation-1417686/[/url]
RC vs BDS
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/rough-country-vs-bds-1461555/[/url]
Ripper3494 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2013, 03:44 PM   #25
Sparrows
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Two more options I haven't seen mentioned here yet;

1. Get your tires balanced. I got mad DW one time, in the same speed range you mentioned, on my TJ when my tires got really out of balance. They were getting pretty bald and I had somehow lost a balancing weight. Getting them balanced fixed it.

2. Jack up your front end a few inches (just enough to get your tires off the ground) and grab the tire at 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock and give it a good shake. Really work it. It shouldn't move at all. If it does, you have blown up ball joints which can also cause DW (another personal experience I had.)

I'm far less knowledgeable than most of the pro's on here, but I never see anyone suggest the above in DW threads, and in both my DW cases, those were the problems so at least I can speak from experience.

Cheers
Sparrows is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2013, 03:46 PM   #26
Ripper3494
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax89Jeeper View Post
Just like shocks dampen the bumps in the road.... because your suspension is actually messed up and the shocks just mask it. I know what worked to fix mine... I thought I could leave it out, based on what I had read in various forums, and be great with all new components. So I tried it and found it would oscillate quite a bit.
In my rebuild I replaced the entire steering linkage, ball joints, etc. and had the alignment checked, tires ballanced, and had an oscillation when I first got it out on the road without the SS. I put in the SS and the problem went away. If you say it masks it, then I agree in the sense that masking it equates to stopping the DW oscillation from starting. The SS is a designed part of the system, which was engineered as a whole working unit. Remove a piece and it may work for some, but not for others depending on cumulative in/out tolerences of the system.

-I am not trying to argue, we are all trying to help accomplish the same goal to help the OP
if you'd really like to get technical about the purpose of a shock in your suspension vs a steering stabilizer we can but that would mean an extreme thread derail. shocks and steering stabilizers are not built the same nor do they serve the same purpose. they may look the same on the outside, but inside they are very different.
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/alternator-welder-write-up-1301614/[/url]
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/tj-uppers-yj-half-doors-hard-top-installation-1417686/[/url]
RC vs BDS
Unread 04-12-2013, 03:48 PM   #27
Ripper3494
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrows View Post

I'm far less knowledgeable than most of the pro's on here, but I never see anyone suggest the above in DW threads, and in both my DW cases, those were the problems so at least I can speak from experience.

Cheers
aw lol
tumblr_m4rrd0u3ns1r05tymo1_250.jpg  
RC vs BDS
Unread 04-12-2013, 03:50 PM   #28
Zeus82more
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Ya vary true. Sorry man. Hope mine holds till I rebuild it. Btw I used to live in jax before I moved out here. Small world.
Unread 04-12-2013, 04:03 PM   #29
Jax89Jeeper
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripper3494

if you'd really like to get technical about the purpose of a shock in your suspension vs a steering stabilizer we can but that would mean an extreme thread derail. shocks and steering stabilizers are not built the same nor do they serve the same purpose. they may look the same on the outside, but inside they are very different.
I know the many differences.... You didn't get my point. -done with this.... Good luck to the OP.
Unread 04-12-2013, 06:07 PM   #30
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripper3494 View Post

Exactly Ripper your one smart cookie. ..

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using JeepForum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.