Death Wobble, Steering & Adjustments - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Death Wobble, Steering & Adjustments

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippDan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 09-12-2011, 09:04 AM   #1
Skydmark1
1998 ZJ 

Death Wobble, Steering & Adjustments

Hello everyone,

So after trying to convince myself that I don't have death wobble I've finally come to terms with it. So....................Hello, my name is Jason and I have death wobble.

Now that I got that out of the way, time to figure this thing out. It starts to hit at just over 40mph and by the time I hit 45 or so it's shaking side to side pretty bad, a glance out the window and I can see my 33's wobbling back and forth.

I decided the place to start is to jack it up and check for excessively worn components. The shop that recently inspected it said everything was good, but I wanna take a look anyway. Next will be to fix the alignment, she pulls the right pretty hard. This is where my real question comes in.....here are two pictures I just took.

Here is a picture where I've circled something that I have no idea what the hell it is. It looks like the thing that made my brakes work on my bike as a little kid....haha. So anyone know what it is and what it does?

And this is just a picture of my steering components, I have a 4" lift. This looks like a dropped pitman arm to me, I just wanted to confirm so I can rule that out as a problem.

Also, any other tips on doing the alignment, let me know!!!

Unread 09-12-2011, 10:25 AM   #2
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah you got the drop pitman. Far as the wobble goes, I would check the tie rod ends, ball joints, and wheel bearings.
oldtime_ironman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2011, 11:12 AM   #3
Newk76
1991 YJ Wrangler 

the thing you circled is part of the tie rod, I beleive it's part of the adjusting sleeve. Looks a little different than ours tho.
image-2722949923.jpg  
Newk76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2011, 11:20 AM   #4
Skydmark1
1998 ZJ 

Looks like maybe it is just there to help keep the collars from spinning? Sort of an added seccurity

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.