death wobble? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > death wobble?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 08-01-2013, 11:15 AM   #1
95yjJeeper
2000 TJ Wrangler 

death wobble?

Hey guys, I am wondering if my 95 YJ has the death wobble issue. If I hit a bump going 65+ mph my stearing wheel shakes pretty violently and she pulls either to the right or left (whichever side the bump is on). It's gotten worse through the yr I've had it. Is this the death wobble? I don't know too much about it, but what do I need to do to fix this issue? Thanks in advance. :-)

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using JeepForum

Unread 08-01-2013, 11:55 AM   #2
bpounds

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds to me like you've just got bump steer, which gets worse as the front end wears. Death wobble would keep shaking the wheels back and forth until you dropped your speed way down. Not just some oscillation - it keeps going. You can usually get out of a death wobble by loading the steering system, which means turn the wheel one direction, instead of the human impulse to try to keep it straight. Not every situation will allow that, but usually you can. Death wobble always happens when going straight with neutral steering force. Never happens on curves, because on a curve the steering is loaded. Bump steer can happen on straight or curves.
bpounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2013, 12:17 PM   #3
95yjJeeper
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Well it happens when going 65 or more mph and stops shaking if I slow way down to 45. I've not noticed it on curves.
I'll have to try to remember to turn the wheel one way or the other. It's not a constant thing either. Just when going the faster speeds and when hitting bumps such as pot holes or terribly uneven pavement

Unread 08-01-2013, 12:21 PM   #4
95yjJeeper
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Yesterday evening I was going 75 hit a few small potholes in a row and it felt almost like my front end was about to fall off. I went to get on the shoulder to check it out and when I hit 45 it stopped shaking. That was on a straight stretch on the highway. It's never felt that awful before. So I thought I'd see what you guys think.

If its bump steering, how would I fix that?

Unread 08-01-2013, 12:24 PM   #5
bpounds

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95yjJeeper View Post
Yesterday evening I was going 75 hit a few small potholes in a row and it felt almost like my front end was about to fall off. I went to get on the shoulder to check it out and when I hit 45 it stopped shaking. That was on a straight stretch on the highway. It's never felt that awful before. So I thought I'd see what you guys think.

If its bump steering, how would I fix that?

That description makes it sound like death wobble.

If nothing has changed, same lift, shocks, etc, then you have to look at all the front suspension components for wear. Ball joints, rod ends, wheel bearings. Anything that can become loose due to wear. Also check wear on your tires, tire balance, and check the tire pressures. Sometimes a few PSI of tire pressure can make a difference.
bpounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2013, 12:43 PM   #6
92yjwoolf

I've never heard of a yj getting death wobble.😉 dw is usually with new jeeps that run coil spring. Most likely some thing is really worn out. I had bad hub assembly's and those enabled really bad.
92yjwoolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2013, 12:50 PM   #7
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92yjwoolf View Post
I've never heard of a yj getting death wobble.�� dw is usually with new jeeps that run coil spring. Most likely some thing is really worn out. I had bad hub assembly's and those enabled really bad.

Unread 08-01-2013, 01:06 PM   #8
XJ93
1995 YJ Wrangler 

That is some serious death wobble.
XJ93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2013, 05:37 PM   #9
95yjJeeper
2000 TJ Wrangler 

image-2009357267.jpg

image-3082345450.jpg

image-3938863694.jpg

Sent from my iPod touch using JeepForum
Unread 08-01-2013, 06:10 PM   #10
rambo3489
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSEJEEPERS View Post
Theres the problem. He has some trac bar looking thingy in there. Cut that thing out and he should be good to go.

Current Project: None... I disgust myself.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-yj-build-adventures-thread-1356941/"][SIZE="3"][B]BUILDING THE YJ MY WAY[/B][/SIZE][/URL]
rambo3489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2013, 06:13 PM   #11
rambo3489
1989 YJ Wrangler 

95YJ what are we looking for there?

Looks like you have trac and sway bars. You should NOT be experiencing death wobble.

Your springs look pretty worn. Don't know if that would contribute to problems or not.

Either way I think you have some problems somewhere in the front end. Check all joints for play.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-yj-build-adventures-thread-1356941/"][SIZE="3"][B]BUILDING THE YJ MY WAY[/B][/SIZE][/URL]
Unread 08-01-2013, 06:14 PM   #12
squarelite
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpounds
Sounds to me like you've just got bump steer, which gets worse as the front end wears. Death wobble would keep shaking the wheels back and forth until you dropped your speed way down. Not just some oscillation - it keeps going. You can usually get out of a death wobble by loading the steering system, which means turn the wheel one direction, instead of the human impulse to try to keep it straight. Not every situation will allow that, but usually you can. Death wobble always happens when going straight with neutral steering force. Never happens on curves, because on a curve the steering is loaded. Bump steer can happen on straight or curves.
Death wobble can most certainly occur when going around a curve. Not a 90 degree turn, but if you are going 30-35 mph around a curve, it can happen just as we'll as it can going straight. Death wobble can be caused by many factors.

However, I do agree that this does not sound like death wobble. I would still take a good hard look at all of the tie rod ends and make sure they are in good working order. Check tire pressures as well as the steering box bolts. Does your jeep have a steering stabilizer?

Based on the follow up post, it sounds like death wobble is occurring.
squarelite is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2013, 06:23 PM   #13
95yjJeeper
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I was mainly taking pics showing how warn just about everything is. All my rubber bushings are cracked some almost non-existent, my shocks are rusted, the springs are likely original to the Jeep (in Michigan mind you). lol So yea looks like its time to finally dig in & get this stuff replaced. Too bad Ill be replacing it before I could afford my lift w/ sway bay disconnects. Ha! Figures. :-)

Unread 08-01-2013, 06:28 PM   #14
rambo3489
1989 YJ Wrangler 

That stuff if not whats causing your problem. Not the rubber bushings anyways. We are talking about ball joints, tie rod ends, and draglink. All of the "hard bolted" stuff. Thats the stuff you need to worry about when this occurs.

Unread 08-01-2013, 06:33 PM   #15
95yjJeeper
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Thats what my dad and I were just talking about on the phone. He was saying bushings, I was saying tie rod ends & ball joints. I told him thats what you guys were saying and he said start with the bushings and go from there. He said to double check everything of course, but it gets expensive.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.