Death Wobble - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Death Wobble

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGJK Vent Covers - NalinMFG

Unread 10-06-2012, 09:46 PM   #1
Rabbitsh
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Death Wobble

I been crashed by side, and after that my jeep vibrates a lot when i go for 38 mph+-, a friend told me it is called Death wobble. I was wondering if someone know how can i fix it in my home? or how expensive is to fix it if i cant do it, im not very experienced in mechanics but if someone explain me (better if have pics) i can do it by myself. Thanks

Rabbitsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2012, 10:10 PM   #2
sdotcarter
1995 YJ Wrangler 

99% of Jeep yjs (or Jeeps with leaf springs not coils) DONT get death wobble, and if the do, its from the front end. Because I like to keep posts relevant, check these items:

1. Have you been off roading? Check for a bent rim.
2.check your tire pressure. Smaller tires (stock) = larger psi. In my 32's I run 25 front, 27 back.
3. Bent axle.
4. Ball joints or bearings. (Park truck, push and pull on all the bars that are on the front end.(these include but are not limited to: tie rod ends, and drag link)
5. If wobble during braking, then probably warped rotors.
Edit, also check your lug nuts.

But back to your situation, you got t-boned. Make sure your frames straight and have it checked out at a shop.

Good luck!
sdotcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2012, 11:53 PM   #3
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Crashed by your side? What?
Post pictures of your steering set up, skid plate and rear axle and drive shaft. Chances are something is botched there.

Edit:^^ He did a better job. Haha.
Unread 10-07-2012, 12:23 AM   #4
lestes94
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Miss-alignment in the front or possibly losing a tire weight could spark it.
Unread 10-07-2012, 01:19 AM   #5
BowHunter70
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I used to get "death wobble" at or around 55 to 65mph. For my particular situation, it was fixed by having my front and rear drive shaft balanced after correcting poor pinion angle on the rear. now, no issues up to 70mph. I do not exceed 70 seeing as i do not have a track or sway bar

My Jeep: 1992 Wrangler YJ, OME, 2"Body, SYE, ARB Front W/Smittybilt 8000, 33x12.50x15 BFG AT/TA/KO laced onto some Black Steelies. D44 /4.56 ChroMo shafts & ARB locked. D30 / 4.56 ChroMo 1pc ChroMo shafts & ARB locked. Next up is the, B&M Shifter, and whatever else I can think of...
BowHunter70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2012, 10:22 AM   #6
navman
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Death wobble is actually 2 problems at the same time.
1 something is out of balance
2 components in the steering or the suspension are loose/worn allowing the tires to wobble back and forth regardless of how tight you hold the wheel.
Unread 10-07-2012, 10:41 AM   #7
sdotcarter
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Dude got tboned. If it was fine before then its probably a bent frame
sdotcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2012, 09:15 PM   #8
ox-yj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbitsh
I been crashed by side, and after that my jeep vibrates a lot when i go for 38 mph+-, a friend told me it is called Death wobble. I was wondering if someone know how can i fix it in my home? or how expensive is to fix it if i cant do it, im not very experienced in mechanics but if someone explain me (better if have pics) i can do it by myself. Thanks
Do you get death wobble when u hit a bump? Check your pit man arm the nut might be loose and as stated check you tie rod ends for wear. How old are your tires? Try rotating them.
ox-yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2012, 08:27 PM   #9
Rabbitsh
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I found some loose things on the swaybar so i might change the bolt because with the vibration the hole became bigger. Ill try tighting that. Im about change the front tires so ill have the 4 new. then i alineate and balance them. If it doesnt fix it, ill have to call a mechanic.
Unread 05-13-2013, 09:35 PM   #10
Rabbitsh
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks to everyone that posted the possibly fixes for my jeep.
I know this is an old post but i solved it 2 months ago, when i needed go highway.
The problem was the steering stabilizer shock. Just that. Also replaced the front tires for new ones but that was after the shock. I invested a some cash to fix all the things that sounded on my jeep and actually rides great. here is a picture of the new image of the Rab*****. I hope you like it.
rabbbitchhardcore.jpg  
Unread 05-14-2013, 10:29 AM   #11
remmons
Some assembly required.
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbitsh View Post
Thanks to everyone that posted the possibly fixes for my jeep.
I know this is an old post but i solved it 2 months ago, when i needed go highway.
The problem was the steering stabilizer shock. Just that. Also replaced the front tires for new ones but that was after the shock. I invested a some cash to fix all the things that sounded on my jeep and actually rides great. here is a picture of the new image of the Rab*****. I hope you like it.
A new steering dampener only masks the problem, it does not fix it. (Ask me how I know). Hopefully your issue was only a bent rim or loose steering components.

Your rig looks cool.

I am by no means a professional. I know just enough to get myself into trouble.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/i...t-case-989208/
remmons is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.