Deal with bad synchros or rebuild/replace tranny? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Deal with bad synchros or rebuild/replace tranny?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 09-04-2011, 06:08 AM   #1
Dudeman1
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Deal with bad synchros or rebuild/replace tranny?

I got my new ride a week ago a 1995 yj. Two things driving me nuts. This post will deal with issue #1. The transmission grinds between 2nd and 3rd and 3rd and 4th. I put Penzoil Synchromesher in and so far after 50 miles or so nothing substantial in terms of improvement in grinding. I am assuming that since the grinding/issue is only when shifting it is synchros. Question I have is should I just run the thing and change fluid every 5000 miles or until it is too bad/annoying to drive or should I rebuild/replace tranny? I found the nv3550 upgrade new for $1000 if I end up replacing or I can prob rebuild with synchro kit. Thoughts? Is running with bad synchros potentially going to hurt me if I end up rebuilding tranny when it finally poops out?

Dudeman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2011, 06:47 AM   #2
1992 renagade
1992 YJ Wrangler 

First thing I would do is try to bleed the clutch and make sure theres no air in it. As far as if it's in the trans unless you have a press and knowledge of manuale transmissions i've found it best to find a rebuilt trans. When my AX-15 bite the dust the best price I found was from www.mantrans.com they sell on ebay too ebay was the best deal i found. I've owned my 1992 YJ now for over 10 yrs and over 220K with that being said if I had to do a trans again I would not go with another AX-15 but would look for a NV 3550.

1992 black Renegade
4.0L 5spd. 4:10 gears 33x12.50 BFG KM 2's A to Z fabrication front and rear bumpers and cage
1994 YJ Sahara Project Bean
2000 Jeep Cherokee Stock
AtoZ Fabrications www.atozfabrication.com
Blue Mountain Jeep Alliance www.bmja.org
Delaware jeep Association www.delawareja.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
Screw the HOA. More guys just need to start doing man things in the garage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aw12345 View Post
Jeeps are like mistresses, they take all your money, but boy what a ride!
1992 renagade is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2011, 08:17 AM   #3
romo1000
1991 YJ Wrangler 

if you have access to a press rebuilding your ax15 is not very hard to do and it's pretty cheap last time I did mine cost 150 for a complete rebuild kit off ebay which was all syncros and bearings. you can find the manual for the ax15 online and follow along towards rebuilding it. it's really pretty easy only thing is watching how you take stuff apart so you dont have to redo what you just did backwards. I would drive it till it bugs you enough or you have the time and parts and just do it. it takes a day. hardest part is getting the top bolt out that holds the tranny to the engine. you have to use a swivel or 2 and a couple of extensions to get the right angle, some guys cut holes in there floor pan to do it. i found it easy enough once i got the right set up on the socket wrench.
romo1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2011, 10:26 AM   #4
nembudonna
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Rebuild the one you have. You'll gain knowledge and also know the used one won't crap out in six months and you'll be right back where you are.
nembudonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2011, 05:53 PM   #5
ApocalypseJeep
1993 YJ Wrangler 

People sometime over look the fact the a faulty master or slave cylinder can cause similar problems. I would bleed the system first and go from there. Faulty clutch cylinders could be why you tore your syncros up. It happened to me. My master cylinder was going out, so it didn't completely disengage my clutch, which wore out my syncros.
ApocalypseJeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.