Dead Heep this morning - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Dead Heep this morning

WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 03-13-2014, 07:18 AM   #1
brzehentmaier

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Dead Heep this morning

Went out this morning and the jeep wouldn't start. All electrics work (lights,radio thats all it has) Proper warning lights on dash light up, turn the key and nothing. No click just nothing. If it was the starter it would at least click but not engage, correct? Should I be looking at the starter solinoid instead of the starter first? If I jump the solinoid and it starts then I can rule out the starter. Then it would have to be the solinoid or ignition switch. I am hoping solinoid but I don't know. I went to the store last night and it did the same thing but I turned the key off and back on and it started.
What a way to start the day.

Bernie

2.5 - Auto - Crager "D" Slots
A Work In Progress

2004 Liberty Columbia Pkg.
A new begining
brzehentmaier is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2014, 08:31 AM   #2
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Start with the basics. Check your battery connections. If that checks out have the battery tested, then the starter, etc.

A loose connection can cause a lot of weird problems.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2014, 08:35 AM   #3
brzehentmaier

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks Lou, I'll check the basics.

Bernie
A Work In Progress

A new begining
Unread 03-13-2014, 08:36 AM   #4
jaycal3
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Check the ground from the battery to the block. I had the same symptoms a while back and that's what it was...

KCCO
jaycal3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2014, 09:13 AM   #5
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Check for loose battery connections, then give the starter a decent hit with a hammer. Then see if it starts. If it does you have hit the problem on the head!

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2014, 11:09 AM   #6
brzehentmaier

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Check the ground from the battery to the block.

I park on the busy street which is a salt haven here in Chicago, good possiblity salt got in there.

Quote:
then give the starter a decent hit with a hammer
Gonna feel like old times, Havn't smacked a starter with a hammer in years. Ahhh memories.

Bernie
A Work In Progress

A new begining
Unread 03-13-2014, 01:21 PM   #7
XJ93
1995 YJ Wrangler 

DO NOT WHACK THAT STARTER! That is the worst thing you can do, if it doesn't work and it wasn't your issue you now have weakened the magnets inside the starter. More than likely it is either a loose connection or the ignition switch is loose/worn. After you check your battery connections crawl under the dash and look for the switch, it will be on top of the column with a rod going into the front of it. Many times I have seen where the screws come loose and the switch slides back just a little bit and you get power but no crank. Sometimes the act of turning the cylinder back pulls the switch just far enough forward for it engage the next time you crank, and a lot of people also seem to think that turning the cylinder harder and farther works (in a way it does because it forces the rod ever so slightly that much more forward again aiding in engagement).
XJ93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2014, 01:27 PM   #8
brzehentmaier

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Sometimes the act of turning the cylinder back pulls the switch just far enough forward for it engage the next time you crank,
That is exactly what I did when it happened last night.

Bernie
A Work In Progress

A new begining
Unread 03-13-2014, 03:20 PM   #9
XJ93
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I know this whole scenario very well..I had an 89 Firebird that would do the same thing. I spent a week trying to trace it down. It would randomly shut off, turn the key back then forward and it would start right back up. Finally someone pointed out the switch itself and sure enough the screws had come loose allowing it to move back and forth.
XJ93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2014, 07:40 PM   #10
brzehentmaier

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Ok I checked the ignition switch and all is good. Just barely tapped and I mean tapped ever so lightly the starter and she cranked right over and fired up. BINGO!!!!! I am not even going to mess with it. I'll replace the starter over the weekend. Thanks again for all the help. Now which auto part chain has the best quality starter. I went through 3 bad alternators from Lee Auto before I got a good one. I had a pep boys starter that I had to change every 6 months. Most of the auto stores around here are like fast food joints. Poor quality to fill a void for awhile. All the small good parts stores have closed down. Anyone have a preference and which fast food parts store has the best quality? Oriely, Advance auto, Autozone, Pep boys or Lee auto. I have already had bad luck with Pep Boys and Lee. Any thoughts?

Bernie
A Work In Progress

A new begining
Unread 03-13-2014, 07:49 PM   #11
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brzehentmaier View Post
Ok I checked the ignition switch and all is good. Just barely tapped and I mean tapped ever so lightly the starter and she cranked right over and fired up. BINGO!!!!! I am not even going to mess with it. I'll replace the starter over the weekend. Thanks again for all the help. Now which auto part chain has the best quality starter. I went through 3 bad alternators from Lee Auto before I got a good one. I had a pep boys starter that I had to change every 6 months. Most of the auto stores around here are like fast food joints. Poor quality to fill a void for awhile. All the small good parts stores have closed down. Anyone have a preference and which fast food parts store has the best quality? Oriely, Advance auto, Autozone, Pep boys or Lee auto. I have already had bad luck with Pep Boys and Lee. Any thoughts?

Bernie
If the starter does not a 'dead spot' in it then this starter would not turn this engine over again, period. Assuming that everything is tight/clean I think it is the temp sensor in the t-stat housing.

Easy way to find this out. Run it again until it is fully warmed up just like you did earlier. Shut it off and wait ten minutes. Hit the key and see if it doesn't start again. Pull the temp sensor wire then see if it does start. If it does it is the temp sensor. And it didn't cost you anything but time to figure out!

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
Unread 03-13-2014, 08:07 PM   #12
brzehentmaier

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
If the starter does not a 'dead spot' in it then this starter would not turn this engine over again, period. Assuming that everything is tight/clean I think it is the temp sensor in the t-stat housing.

Easy way to find this out. Run it again until it is fully warmed up just like you did earlier. Shut it off and wait ten minutes. Hit the key and see if it doesn't start again. Pull the temp sensor wire then see if it does start. If it does it is the temp sensor. And it didn't cost you anything but time to figure out!
Man that's great info. . Tomorrow night I'll give it a try. The temp. sensor i'm sure is a lot cheaper than a starter. It's been a couple of years since I bought one. I'm sure they are pricey now. Thanks again for the info., I would have never checked that i'm sure of that.

Bernie
A Work In Progress

A new begining
Unread 03-13-2014, 08:12 PM   #13
langwilliams
1995 YJ Wrangler 

if you do replace the starter, I always have the best luck with NAPA stuff, anytime I replace something that's a pain in the a** to get to I go to napa
langwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2014, 08:14 PM   #14
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Alternators, starters, water pumps...buy new it is cheaper in the long run.

Unread 03-13-2014, 08:14 PM   #15
brzehentmaier

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
if you do replace the starter, I always have the best luck with NAPA stuff, anytime I replace something that's a pain in the a** to get to I go to napa
I'll have to google a location here in chi-town.

Bernie
A Work In Progress

A new begining

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.