dead battery symptoms - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > dead battery symptoms

Flowmaster Overstock: Special Holiday Pricing!!!!RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 07-04-2013, 08:54 PM   #1
cuate01221
1995 YJ Wrangler 

dead battery symptoms

I have a 95 wrangler with a 2.5l automatic(worst setup ever!) Anyway today I went to go start it and it felt like the battery was dead, clicked but wouldn't start. I went to go jump it and everytime I hooked up the positive battery terminal it would just spark, I finally got it to stop sparking but after about 10 seconds it started to smoke on my other car and ended up melting the positive terminal! I tried looking around the f.a.q. but came up dry. Any ideas fellow jeepsters?

cuate01221 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2013, 09:11 PM   #2
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Smack your starter with a hammer and try to start it.
Unread 07-04-2013, 10:56 PM   #3
bigbossd1030
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah, hammers are a life saver.
It might be time for a new starter soon.

Sent from my iPhone, probably because I am bored at work.
[COLOR="Blue"]OFFICIAL JEEPER[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]Any Jeepers in Edmonton, AB
I am on channel 33.[/COLOR]
I live, I ride, I am JEEP.
bigbossd1030 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2013, 11:53 PM   #4
cuate01221
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I figured that but had no tools laying around Everything is at my garage, I'll try it out tomorrow! Thanks guys
cuate01221 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-05-2013, 09:18 AM   #5
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

put it in 3rd... roll it down a hill for a bit with the clutch in... turn the key to on... let clutch out... engine should be running... drive to where the tools/starter are and replace

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-05-2013, 09:38 AM   #6
Ihrocks
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark05059 View Post
put it in 3rd... roll it down a hill for a bit with the clutch in... turn the key to on... let clutch out... engine should be running... drive to where the tools/starter are and replace

You must have missed that spot where he said it was an auto No rolling starts for this guy.
Ihrocks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-05-2013, 12:51 PM   #7
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihrocks View Post
You must have missed that spot where he said it was an auto No rolling starts for this guy.
yep did miss that it was an auto... And yes... cant roll start an auto

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2013, 08:43 PM   #8
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
And yes... cant roll start an auto
Well, now, that's not ENTIRELY true. Used to do it to my mom's '79 Monza all the time. The starter would go out every 6 months.

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Rproject is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2013, 09:12 PM   #9
bigbossd1030
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rproject

Well, now, that's not ENTIRELY true. Used to do it to my mom's '79 Monza all the time. The starter would go out every 6 months.
I have heard of this two but I have never tried and it was just hearsay. Do you have an exact method?

Sent from my iPhone, probably because I am bored at work.
[COLOR="Blue"]OFFICIAL JEEPER[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]Any Jeepers in Edmonton, AB
I am on channel 33.[/COLOR]
I live, I ride, I am JEEP.
bigbossd1030 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2013, 10:27 PM   #10
OKwranglerYJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Ummm I think y'all are missing the big picture. If it is sparking and smoking the cable then you either have the cables backward or you have a giant direct short. If you have a direct shirt and do manage to start it it's not going to be a good day. You need to inspect all your cable to make sure they haven't worn a hole and touching bare metal.
OKwranglerYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2013, 09:28 AM   #11
jimbos76cj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Try to crank it with your head lights on.. if they go dim or out your battery is dead. If they stay bright or dim just a little then you have a starter/starter ciruit issue.
88 YJ 35's 8.8 rear, family style roll bar, ax-15 external slave conversion, Custom double D fab dash 4" of lift taurus fan, Head light wiring upgrade, MSD 6al, JB conversions SYE, 258 with RV cam, Long tube headers, Borla exhaust. 1"mm, Auto meter gauges.
jimbos76cj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2013, 05:02 PM   #12
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
yep did miss that it was an auto... And yes... cant roll start an auto
Yes you can.. I have done it a few time in the past. You need to get a push up to about 30mph. A automatic will start from a push.

Mind you it was many years ago when cars were built strong. Bumpers did not crush from looking at them and most people did not mind giving a push.

Cars had points and condensors, spark plugs lasted 3 to 4000 miles, at 5000 miles you were overdue for a tune up. 100,000 miles on a car was ready for the crusher. All motorcycles were kick start. Oh the good times!
pasinbuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2013, 10:51 PM   #13
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Can I hijack? I have a very similar issue. Started having a few issues after a serious wheeling trip. Starter was whining pretty bad. Replaced the battery as it indicated it was d-e-a-d. Now when I try to start it, I have lights, but it just clicks. CB and radio flash and chatter when I try to start it and my son said some sparks were coming from the positive lead of the battery. I'm thinking starter relay. Right path?

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Unread 07-16-2013, 06:02 AM   #14
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Not sure if this applies to the OP, but I found my issue. The "S" wire of the starter solenoid was bad. One of the wire looms was resting on it, causing a wear in the insulation and a bad short.

Unread 07-16-2013, 08:41 AM   #15
pete1991YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

First thing I would do is try taking the battery completely out of the vehicle and charging it that way, even if you have to do it by jumping from another vehicle. If it still sparks in a *big* way when its out of the vehicle, that means 2 things: either the battery is really drained, or it has an internal short.

As far as sparking like that while inside the vehicle, I always look for large shorts in the starting or charging circuit. Especially check the diodes in the alternator. I had an internal short in the alt nearly burned down my car way back when I was in college. Now I know that an alt can pull a *lot* of juice if its bad.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.