From a DD point of view, - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > From a DD point of view,

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 12-07-2014, 09:38 PM   #1
1995greenyj
1995 YJ Wrangler 

From a DD point of view,

From a DD point of view, will I get more/better use out of a 50" light bar, or a winch?

1995greenyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-07-2014, 09:44 PM   #2
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

How often have you needed to be pulled out?
How often have you wished you had more light?

Personally, I think you need a subwoofer and amp.
Unread 12-07-2014, 09:48 PM   #3
dillonjm
30mm @ 70/sec

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Neither one. The light bar probably isn't street legal and the winch will have almost (read: actually) zero use for daily driving unless you live somewhere that requires you to pop it into 4 low to get to and from your house.

11 Ram 2500 - H&S tuned 6.7 Cummins (DD/Tow Rig)

05 Liberty Limited (Wife's): Minor mods, OME/JBA Suspension, 245 70/17 Duratracs
dillonjm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-07-2014, 09:49 PM   #4
1995greenyj
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Ha I listen to country music I have no need for a sub
Unread 12-07-2014, 09:49 PM   #5
ElevenBravo
1997 ZJ 

DD seldom need light bars or winches.

Ever actually listen to good country music with a punchy sub? Sounds awesome!
ElevenBravo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-07-2014, 09:55 PM   #6
1995greenyj
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillonjm
Neither one. The light bar probably isn't street legal and the winch will have almost (read: actually) zero use for daily driving unless you live somewhere that requires you to pop it into 4 low to get to and from your house.
okay well from the perspective of a DD who wheels on the weekends (probably how I should've worded it to begin with). I can justify a winch with my wheeling, and I can justify a light bar with often backroad driving late at night with no other traffic on the road.
Unread 12-07-2014, 10:08 PM   #7
dillonjm
30mm @ 70/sec

2003 TJ Wrangler 

In that case, I'd recommend a decent winch.

A lightbar can't save your butt, a winch can.

11 Ram 2500 - H&S tuned 6.7 Cummins (DD/Tow Rig)

05 Liberty Limited (Wife's): Minor mods, OME/JBA Suspension, 245 70/17 Duratracs
dillonjm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-07-2014, 10:13 PM   #8
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Shouldn't be wheeling alone though. A good tow strap, a lightbar and a sub will cost about the same as a decent winch.

Besides, it's a Jeep it's not supposed to get stuck. Have some faith...

Brooks and Dunn have reunited. Your going to need a sub.
Unread 12-07-2014, 10:43 PM   #9
baritone_mike
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I would go with the light bar, late night backroads suck. Do you have deer where you are? The winch will be used if you get stuck, the light bar will be used every time you drive a back road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisnvegas View Post
Brooks and Dunn have reunited.
I did not know that, I will have to keep a look out for new songs.
Unread 12-07-2014, 11:23 PM   #10
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by baritone_mike View Post
I would go with the light bar, late night backroads suck. Do you have deer where you are? The winch will be used if you get stuck, the light bar will be used every time you drive a back road.

I did not know that, I will have to keep a look out for new songs.
http://www.cmt.com/news/1746296/broo...dy-to-reunite/

Agreed. In the last few years I had no need for a winch, but use the lights almost every weekend night wheeling.

They have a residency here (Caesars Palace)
On a local radio show they said new songs are part of the plan.
Unread 12-08-2014, 09:26 AM   #11
warthog312
The Craigslist Crawler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElevenBravo View Post
Ever actually listen to good country music?
No such thing exists

OP, for the cost of a winch or lightbar I would get some windshield mounted spot lights, they're plenty bright. And with the leftover cash get a lunchbox locker for the front axle. That's just my opinion, I'm just some dude on the internet
Unread 12-08-2014, 09:57 AM   #12
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

I live in deer country so the lights came before the winch with one light ditch biassed. I wheel in bush and see too many smashed light bars, so went bumper mount, well I mounted 2 Hella black magics on my fairlead on my CJ and my YJ is a renegade with built in lights.
A couple bumper mount lights should leave enough extra for a cable style come-a-long until funds come up for the power winch. You will want the hand winch later anyway. Real handy for side holds while winching or when the power winch just fails for whatever reason. If you run solo and expect to winch, you need the backup.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2014, 10:22 AM   #13
mike134
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I assume this is just for fun since its a daily driver that isn't off roaded much, I'd go with winch. It looks more badass!
mike134 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2014, 12:31 PM   #14
GrantYJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I'm not all that fond of light bars and I have eight or nine winches at the moment, so my opinion is a bit skewed. I'd say, get a winch and if you need more light upgrade the actual lighting on the vehicle. I live in deer country too and I've found that deer are just as likely to be milling around at times and in places where you can't use your "off road" lighting. I'd spend cash upgrading my headlights any day of the week before I dropped it into auxiliary lights. Also, I use the winch as much around the house as I do when wheeling. There isn't a whole lot that you couldn't do just using the Jeep; however, it's a whole lot easier and more controlled with a winch (and easier on your yard).

My YJ came with a couple of KC Daylighters (back in the 90s). I almost never used them. When I built the bumper that currently resides on the Jeep, I didn't even bother mounting them up. They're on a shelf in the shop. My Tacoma (my DD) has a set of KCs that are just like my others except that they're black instead of chrome. When I build a new bumper for it and pull the ARB winch bumper off, I doubt I'll mess with the KCs on that one either.

My experience is mostly with the "spot" type beams. I really don't care for them. Maybe I'm using them wrong, but I just don't see the point in them. Years ago, I had a set of amber floods on an 86 Toyota that I actually really liked. They were great in fog, rain, and snow. The spots just seem amplify the problem during inclement weather.
GrantYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2014, 12:47 PM   #15
mike134
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantYJ View Post
I'm not all that fond of light bars and I have eight or nine winches at the moment, so my opinion is a bit skewed. I'd say, get a winch and if you need more light upgrade the actual lighting on the vehicle. I live in deer country too and I've found that deer are just as likely to be milling around at times and in places where you can't use your "off road" lighting. I'd spend cash upgrading my headlights any day of the week before I dropped it into auxiliary lights. Also, I use the winch as much around the house as I do when wheeling. There isn't a whole lot that you couldn't do just using the Jeep; however, it's a whole lot easier and more controlled with a winch (and easier on your yard).

My YJ came with a couple of KC Daylighters (back in the 90s). I almost never used them. When I built the bumper that currently resides on the Jeep, I didn't even bother mounting them up. They're on a shelf in the shop. My Tacoma (my DD) has a set of KCs that are just like my others except that they're black instead of chrome. When I build a new bumper for it and pull the ARB winch bumper off, I doubt I'll mess with the KCs on that one either.

My experience is mostly with the "spot" type beams. I really don't care for them. Maybe I'm using them wrong, but I just don't see the point in them. Years ago, I had a set of amber floods on an 86 Toyota that I actually really liked. They were great in fog, rain, and snow. The spots just seem amplify the problem during inclement weather.
The floods are the ones you want for deer! I hate not having fog/flood lights when I'm on the backroads in New York where there is often 4 feet of brush/corn/wheat 10 yards off the side of the 55mph back road. You really want to light that up to spot any signs of deer.
mike134 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.