Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

DC DS on front D30

754 views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  The_Goob 
#1 ·
I'm about to rebuild my D30 to add some strength with the 8.8. I'll be eliminating my vacuum assist to go with chromoly shafts. I'm assuming I may have to balance my front DS since it will be spinning fulltime. Have any of you gone to a double cardin front shaft? I know the angle is not as bad as the rear, but i'm wondering if a DC DS will spin smoother than a stock front shaft.
Thanks.

#3 ·
I've done the same things you are planning. I put in a Tom Woods front double cardan driveshaft. And Alloy USA axles. I'm also sporting 35" MTRs. I can't directly compare before/after the driveshaft, as I made a bunch of other changes at the same time. And my old one had worn splines, and vibrated a little.

On a side note, how do you like the Bilsteins? Worth the money? I'm ordering new shows in the next week or so.

#4 ·
Thanks for the info, I've been sort of copying rykemc's build. The Bilsteins have been great. I came from a RC lift followed by a Cepek lift...I'm a slow learner. I'm now on a RE 4.5 Extreme with the Bilstein shocks and it has never rode better off-road and on. Well worth the money.

#8 ·
#9 ·
Wow! I have seen those and wondered what the big donut at the end was, I guess thats the CV joint. I'm looking at about $600 for the cromos so those are quite a bit more.....hmmmm I wonder how much I'd have to give the wife to go shopping and not bi*#h about me buying those!:highfive:

#10 ·
As to the original question, I considered getting a DC front shaft as well. I mean the front pinion points upwards, so does the front TC yoke. (hardly an optimal angle)
But its so much longer I figured a normal shaft could handle it fine so I ordered a standard shaft from tatton (my stock one was bent beyond repair)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.