Dashboard lights on a 1991 YJ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Dashboard lights on a 1991 YJ?

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Artec JK Under Armor Bellypan

Unread 03-22-2007, 07:06 PM   #1
bluenotemkvi

Dashboard lights on a 1991 YJ?

I've been searching online for this information and can't find it, hopefully someone here will be able to help me out.

The cover over the warning lights on my 1991 Wrangler disappeared a long time ago. Now I have a light coming on and I don't know what it is. I know that it's NOT either blinker, the high beam light or the upshift light - those I recognize. I'm a little worried that it might be the "check engine" light. Can anyone let me know what the various lights are in the grid? I'll go get a sharpie and mark them for next time.

bluenotemkvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2007, 07:48 PM   #2
jeepnmike
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Here you go- Remember this is the view from the back
http://www.jedi.com/obiwan/jeep/inst...page-8E-40.gif
Unread 03-22-2007, 08:00 PM   #3
NewdRiver_
1985 CJ7 

The CEL will be lit when you have the key in the position right before starting. I believe that it is the first one on the left in the bottom row. Seat blet light should also be lit (I think? I know 2 lights come on...), and if you have ABS, that light should also come on.

That diagram is awesome.
NewdRiver_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2007, 10:28 PM   #4
yjing

YOU HAVE A SHIFT LIGHT!?!?!

I shoulda looked harder for 91, i found out something new everyday that my 89 doens't have

[COLOR="Red"]Red Jeep Club Member #360[/COLOR]
yjing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2007, 11:03 PM   #5
HI-YJ
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yjing
YOU HAVE A SHIFT LIGHT!?!?!

I shoulda looked harder for 91, i found out something new everyday that my 89 doens't have
LOL, me too..never comes on so I drive really really slow.......
HI-YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2007, 01:57 PM   #6
bluenotemkvi

Thanks for all the replies.

@myrtle150 - Thanks for the link, but that diagram does not match what I have. My dash has two rows of six lights each and some of lights that I know don't match up to what the diagram shows.

@NewDriver59 - The only light that comes on when I put the key in is the shift light.

Some parts on this jeep are not the original parts from 1991. I bought it in 2002, I think I'm the 3rd or 4th owner. I had to go to the local Jeep dealer to get some part (PCV valve I think) and we had to spend some time looking through their diagrams to find out what model year part I needed because the 91 version didn't fit. I have no idea what else could have been modified or replaced, so maybe this is not the 1991 dashboard. One parts dealer told me I have the "older style" dashboard, whatever that means.

Here are the lights I have - hopefully someone can help me fill in the blanks.
Top row, left to right:
1 - Left turn signal indicator
2 - high beams
3 - ? - comes on while starting then goes off
4 - empty socket
5 - ?
6 - right turn signal indicator
Bottom row:
1 - shift light - comes on for a few seconds after starting and when RPMs are too high
2 - ? - this one is on sometimes while driving, just started doing that recently
3 - empty socket
4 - empty socket
5 - ? - this came on last night on the way home, but did not today on the way to work.
6 - empty socket

Does that help anyone?
Unread 03-23-2007, 02:16 PM   #7
kbazurpe
1973 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yjing
i found out something new everyday that my 89 doens't have

My '89 has a shift light. It used to work fine, but now it usually doesn't.
kbazurpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2007, 02:17 PM   #8
ovrlnd

your 89 should have shift light? my 88 did, perhaps the bulb is burnt out? in any case don't change it and make it work cause they are pointless.

88 YJ, 350/350 Chevy, Twin Stick Dana 300 with JB 32 spline rear output, 6.5" lift, Front Scout II Dana 44 w/Yukon 4340 shafts, trac loc, 4.27's, Warn Premium Hubs, flipped YJ Tie Rod, Ford F150 front calipers, Rear Scout II Dana 44 w/Alloy 4340 shafts, HD RPT retainer plates, 4.27's True trac, Steeltech Disc brakes, Cage upgrade, B&M Prostick Shifter, Custom Fabbed tire, gas, jack carrier, 3/8 angle rear bumper, clevis's all around, old & reliable rep8000 winch. Flood lights. loud stereo. 35x12.50 swampers and a bunch of other stuff
ovrlnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2007, 07:16 PM   #9
Jeeper_Dan12345

That shift light is useless, really it isn't worth having. Although it always made me laugh when it told me i need to shift to 6th
8.8 4:10 gears LS, 2.5" lift, Skyjacker hydro shocks (Finally a smooth ride), 33" X-Terrain, 1" BL, 1in GoFerit MML, Homemade shackles, K&N Filter, Dynomax Cat-Back, Exide Orbital Battery, Xenon Extended Flares, Home Made Rear Bumper, Cobra CB, k40 antenna, Bestop Sailcloth Top w/ Tinted Windows, Half Top, Windjammer, Duster, High Lift Jack, Portible OBA - Escalade Air Compressor, Grant Steering Wheel

2003 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4x4 V8
Jeeper_Dan12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2007, 11:32 PM   #10
Black89

yeah i didnt know i had a shift light in my 89 either but now i'm glad to know it doesnt work, those things are annoying!
Black89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2007, 03:24 PM   #11
MudDancer

My 87 YJ has a shift lite, 2 in fact...1. arrow lite up and 2. arrow lite down
purpose still unknown
Other than lite hummor for me.
MudDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2007, 12:48 PM   #12
bluenotemkvi

For the sake of posterity, here's what I now know about the dash lights. I found out my neighbor has a 1990 that has the same style dash lights and compared his. By the way, the Wrangler is for sale as I bought a new Grand Cherokee. Email or PM me if you're interested.

Dashboard lights, in order from left to right:
top row:
1 - left blinker
2 - high beam indicator
3 - brake light
4 - seatbelt warning light
5 - still not sure
6 - right blinker
second row:
7 - upshift light
8 - check engine
9 - empty hole
10 - empty hole
11 - emission warning
12 - maintenance required (trips at a certain mileage, 80k I think, to remind you to replace the O2 sensor).

My problem turned out to be the oxygen sensor, which tripped the check engine light and also the emissions light because it had gone faulty.
Unread 05-04-2007, 01:02 PM   #13
Matt87YJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

My '87 doesn't have a shift light but I really don't need it. My '02 Tacoma doesnt even have a shift light.
Unread 05-04-2007, 01:07 PM   #14
bluenotemkvi

The shift light is fairly worthless. I rarely see it just driving around town, when I do see it there's a reason I have the revs that high in a low gear and it only annoys me.
Unread 05-04-2007, 02:00 PM   #15
LandRover
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I thought that little arrow that lights up was telling me I needed a bigger lift
Sliders, Goodyear Duratrac 33's
LandRover is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.