Dash speakers - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Dash speakers

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 08-15-2013, 10:10 PM   #1
Chase0808
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Dash speakers

I need to replace my dash speakers due to my driver side speaker blowing out recently. I know I need a 4x6 speaker but I don't know what brand or model to get. Most of the speakers I find have the tweeter sticking out, causing them not to fit. I prefer something good(don't really like kickers). If it comes down to it I can just bust out the speaker guard to let the tweeter stick.

Chase0808 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2013, 10:15 PM   #2
bigbossd1030
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase0808
I need to replace my dash speakers due to my driver side speaker blowing out recently. I know I need a 4x6 speaker but I don't know what brand or model to get. Most of the speakers I find have the tweeter sticking out, causing them not to fit. I prefer something good(don't really like kickers). If it comes down to it I can just bust out the speaker guard to let the tweeter stick.
I have a set of pioneers in mine. Well, had I should say. They got wet and I never replaced them yet.

Sent from my iPhone, probably because I am bored at work.
[COLOR="Blue"]OFFICIAL JEEPER[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]Any Jeepers in Edmonton, AB
I am on channel 33.[/COLOR]
I live, I ride, I am JEEP.
bigbossd1030 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2013, 10:22 PM   #3
Chase0808
2001 TJ Wrangler 

How was the installation? Also what model?
Unread 08-15-2013, 10:23 PM   #4
Reno72

1992 YJ Wrangler 

I used the Polk 4x6 marine. The tweeter sticks out a little but I just added washers and some weather stripping to fit flush without hitting the grill. I also used the old speaker as a template for drilling out the holes, I think only one needed drilling. The passenger side was easy, the driver side was a pita, I removed the ebrake, loosened the dash bolts and pulle the grill out just a little.
Reno72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2013, 10:27 PM   #5
Chase0808
2001 TJ Wrangler 

How much did the Polk audio ones cost? And where did you buy them from?
Unread 08-15-2013, 10:31 PM   #6
Reno72

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Got them here, I have the $50 ones in the dash and the $62 ones in my sound bar. The $62 ones don't have the tweeter that sticks out so may be a better fit.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_sa...4x6%20speakers
Reno72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2013, 10:52 PM   #7
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by reno72 View Post
i used the polk 4x6 marine. The tweeter sticks out a little but i just added washers and some weather stripping to fit flush without hitting the grill. I also used the old speaker as a template for drilling out the holes, i think only one needed drilling. The passenger side was easy, the driver side was a pita, i removed the ebrake, loosened the dash bolts and pulle the grill out just a little.
this x 2
jsawduste is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2013, 01:27 AM   #8
BuffaWrangler
1995 YJ Wrangler 

When I installed mine (the Polks), I went with an in-line "bass blocker" on the speaker wire. I can turn them up pretty loud now, and they don't distort at all. Of course, they don't put out any bass, but you aren't going to get any bass from a 4x6 plate anyways. They make the vocals stand out a bit more at highway speeds with the top off, and kind of "fill in" what the soundbar and 6x9 wedges miss directionally.
BuffaWrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2013, 12:19 PM   #9
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

I put in the Polks as well. They're a good speaker for the price.

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Rproject is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.