Dash speakers - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Dash speakers

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 08-15-2013, 09:10 PM   #1
Chase0808
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Dash speakers

I need to replace my dash speakers due to my driver side speaker blowing out recently. I know I need a 4x6 speaker but I don't know what brand or model to get. Most of the speakers I find have the tweeter sticking out, causing them not to fit. I prefer something good(don't really like kickers). If it comes down to it I can just bust out the speaker guard to let the tweeter stick.

Chase0808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2013, 09:15 PM   #2
bigbossd1030
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase0808
I need to replace my dash speakers due to my driver side speaker blowing out recently. I know I need a 4x6 speaker but I don't know what brand or model to get. Most of the speakers I find have the tweeter sticking out, causing them not to fit. I prefer something good(don't really like kickers). If it comes down to it I can just bust out the speaker guard to let the tweeter stick.
I have a set of pioneers in mine. Well, had I should say. They got wet and I never replaced them yet.

Sent from my iPhone, probably because I am bored at work.
[COLOR="Blue"]OFFICIAL JEEPER[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]Any Jeepers in Edmonton, AB
I am on channel 33.[/COLOR]
I live, I ride, I am JEEP.
bigbossd1030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2013, 09:22 PM   #3
Chase0808
2001 TJ Wrangler 

How was the installation? Also what model?
Unread 08-15-2013, 09:23 PM   #4
Reno72
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I used the Polk 4x6 marine. The tweeter sticks out a little but I just added washers and some weather stripping to fit flush without hitting the grill. I also used the old speaker as a template for drilling out the holes, I think only one needed drilling. The passenger side was easy, the driver side was a pita, I removed the ebrake, loosened the dash bolts and pulle the grill out just a little.
Reno72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2013, 09:27 PM   #5
Chase0808
2001 TJ Wrangler 

How much did the Polk audio ones cost? And where did you buy them from?
Unread 08-15-2013, 09:31 PM   #6
Reno72
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Got them here, I have the $50 ones in the dash and the $62 ones in my sound bar. The $62 ones don't have the tweeter that sticks out so may be a better fit.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_sa...4x6%20speakers
Reno72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2013, 09:52 PM   #7
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by reno72 View Post
i used the polk 4x6 marine. The tweeter sticks out a little but i just added washers and some weather stripping to fit flush without hitting the grill. I also used the old speaker as a template for drilling out the holes, i think only one needed drilling. The passenger side was easy, the driver side was a pita, i removed the ebrake, loosened the dash bolts and pulle the grill out just a little.
this x 2
jsawduste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2013, 12:27 AM   #8
BuffaWrangler
1995 YJ Wrangler 

When I installed mine (the Polks), I went with an in-line "bass blocker" on the speaker wire. I can turn them up pretty loud now, and they don't distort at all. Of course, they don't put out any bass, but you aren't going to get any bass from a 4x6 plate anyways. They make the vocals stand out a bit more at highway speeds with the top off, and kind of "fill in" what the soundbar and 6x9 wedges miss directionally.
BuffaWrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2013, 11:19 AM   #9
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

I put in the Polks as well. They're a good speaker for the price.

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Rproject is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.